XCD 38V Repair

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikarus

I think I have mentioned this in another thread.

My question is, how do I get action out of Hasselblad support in Gothenberg?

I bought the lens from Adorama in August 2023, and used it extensively with my X2D in Hong Kong, Singapore, France and Italy last year.  When I picked it up to use it again in January this year, I got the "No lens detected" error.  It is the only XCD lens I have, but I experimented with Leica R & M lenses, and tried the 38V with electronic shutter, and it worked fine.  The problem is with the leaf shutter, it seems (confirmed by the local dealer - their XCD lenses worked fine on my camera, and my 38V wouldn't work on their cameras).

For those who don't know, CR Kennedy was removed as the local distributer last year, and there's a bit of an intergnum while a new dealer is appointed.  The local Hasselblad dealer in Auckland couldn't help, and recommended I contact Adorama, which I did in February.

Adorama accepted the warranty claim, and referred me to Hasselblad USA (their email bounced).

I then approached Hasselblad in Sweden, and they gave me the names of shops in Australia.  This seemed odd, as the lens would stil need to go back to Gothenberg.  I got a contact at the Australian distributer (thanks Gordon), and he said just refer it back to Gothenberg.

So, I went back to Gothenberg, they accepted the claim and asked for the pick up details for the lens.  That was back in early March, and I've heard nothing since, depsite chasing emails.

It's now over three months, and I still don't have a working lens.  Even if the lens is collected in the next week or so, with delivery to Sweden, repair then return to me, I won't have a lens for my X2d for another 2 or 3 months.  Even by Leica standards, this is ridiculous.

So, my next step is to write to Adorama, pointing out the history, and asking for a replacement lens.  Adorama is in New York, I'm in New Zealand - heaven knows which consumer laws apply.  In the end, I just want the lens replaced - the option for repairing it has expired already, and my patience is up.

I'll keep you informed.

Ikarus

So, I've written to Adorama - they say contact Hasselblad in Sweden.  Three emails, no reply.

There's no question the warranty claim has been accepted; they're just doing nothing.  I won't be buying another Hasselblad lens any time soon, and I am contemplating selling my X2D.  I love this camera, but without a lens it's worthless to me.

Patrick CM

Can't you simply rent a lens, but would be best  if your local dealer loan you a replacement?

polychloros

Quote from: Ikarus on April 08, 2024, 09:55:15 AMI won't be buying another Hasselblad lens any time soon, and I am contemplating selling my X2D.  I love this camera, but without a lens it's worthless to me.

Have you tried calling the CS number in Sweden, John? +46 31 102460. I have no idea if anyone answers directly but you might at least be able to leave a voice message. I understand your frustration (I'd be pissed off too) but I don't think you should sell your X2D because of this saga. My sincere advice is to buy the 45P as a stopgap and start using your X2D again. The X system is too good not be used and the 45P is a (comparatively) very cheap way to be back up and running. I really like the 45P lens and would buy it again (if I had to) at twice the price.

Patrick CM

Quote from: polychloros on April 09, 2024, 09:41:37 PM
Quote from: Ikarus on April 08, 2024, 09:55:15 AMI won't be buying another Hasselblad lens any time soon, and I am contemplating selling my X2D.  I love this camera, but without a lens it's worthless to me.

Have you tried calling the CS number in Sweden, John? +46 31 102460. I have no idea if anyone answers directly but you might at least be able to leave a voice message. I understand your frustration (I'd be pissed off too) but I don't think you should sell your X2D because of this saga. My sincere advice is to buy the 45P as a stopgap and start using your X2D again. The X system is too good not be used and the 45P is a (comparatively) very cheap way to be back up and running. I really like the 45P lens and would buy it again (if I had to) at twice the price.
Great advice

Ikarus

The local dealer came back in touch and said they could now send the lens back to Sweden.  Dropped it in yesterday - let's see how long this takes ...