Word of caution when buying into the X system

Previous topic - Next topic

tomgriscom

I wanted to make the forum aware of issues regarding the new lenses and repair times.  I currently own the X2D and the 55mm and 38mm lenses, as well the older 45, 65, and 80. I have also rented the zoom numerous times for assignment work. Prior to buying the X2D I had the 50C II.

I purchased the 38 in June of last year. I used it lightly for assignment work.  I shot a job at the beginning of October with it, worked flawlessly.  I was about to start a long term project a few weeks later and unpacked it out of it's Tenba hard case and found that it was no longer able to autofocus regardless of how the focus ring was set.  I contacted Hasselblad and since it was well within the warranty they took it in at no cost to me. And here is where everything goes sideways.  Hasselblad Burbank said they cannot fix the new series lenses and that it would need to be sent to Sweden and that it would be about 6 weeks to 2 months. I checked in Mid-December to see the status and was told that it had not been sent to Sweden after all and was in Japan and that it "should" be back by Mid-January. Checked back in Mid-January, was told Mid-February. By Mid-February was told Mid-March. As of today 3/28/24 it is still not back and there is no ETA now. 

I post this as word of caution. The issue with the lens, the autofocus failing, is a known issue with the new series lenses. That coupled with the fact that once the lens is shipped to Japan, Hasselblad USA has no idea on the status of the lens, is a reason to avoid these.  As a working photographer, this is completely unacceptable. Nikon (which I own), and Fuji have professional services that will give you a loaner while your gear is being repaired, Hasselblad stopped that program. This has cost me money because I have had to rent this lens. Finally I have moved over to the Fuji system because of this issue.

The X2D takes wonderful pictures, but if you are looking to get into this system as a professional, know the pitfalls if the gear stops working!

Frankvth

I had a completely different experience, hence a bit different problem.

My lens was hunting in focus, sent it straight to sweden and was repaired within 2 working days and sent back with priority to a different country that i had to shoot in.

Seemed flawless and very professionally repaired and included a handwritten note of the repairs.
Still, your story is pretty effed up.

I truly think that at this moment it's way better to order everything directly from hasselblad.com instead of via dealers. I don't know why, but hasselblad seems to prioritize their own online sales.

tomgriscom

Glad they took care of your problem quickly!

Tennisarm12

Quote from: tomgriscom on March 27, 2024, 06:25:29 AMThe issue with the lens, the autofocus failing, is a known issue with the new series lenses

Can you prove that as a fact or are you just spreading rumors because you are understandably frustrated? I for my part hear this for the first time.

Cheers

tomgriscom

It was confirmed to me by Hasselblad customer service that this is a known issue with the 38mm and 55mm when I talked to customer service back in October of last year.

Paul2660

Might also be why it's next to impossible to find either lens for sale currently. However I just noticed the B&H in the US has the 55mm currently in stock.

Paul

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: Frankvth on March 27, 2024, 06:35:52 AMI had a completely different experience, hence a bit different problem.

My lens was hunting in focus, sent it straight to sweden and was repaired within 2 working days and sent back with priority to a different country that i had to shoot in.

Seemed flawless and very professionally repaired and included a handwritten note of the repairs.

I truly think that at this moment it's way better to order everything directly from hasselblad.com instead of via dealers. I don't know why, but hasselblad seems to prioritize their own online sales.

They do prioritize their online sales, yes it is true. Dealers do receive product, but may not have the same level of in stock status. However, for service, I can tell you there is no reason to not order from a dealer. A good dealer provides a resource for pre-repair diagnostics, which often resolves situations, can provide QC on repairs, and when situations get out of hand, or are not handled appropriately, can be a strong advocate. We have an excellent relationship with Hasselblad service and correspond with them on a regular basis. Hasselblad is not going to hamper the service experience of an end user because they bought from a dealer.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Frankvth

oh i just looked on the website from hasselblad and currently 38v, 55v and 90V is able to order from the EU store and will send within a week.

And yes, i like dealers, but i also truly have to say that the aftersales online are currently pretty nice.

michael123

Quote from: Frankvth on March 27, 2024, 06:35:52 AMI had a completely different experience, hence a bit different problem.

+ B&H.. as I was told by Hasselblad support