HC 120 Macro version I VS version II

Previous topic - Next topic

polarphoto

Hello,

I wonder how high is the difference in image quality of the version I vs version II? Is it something that one in practical aspects will be hard pressed to observe differences - if so is it mostly with the largest aperture or are there differences at infinity that are significant? Is it mostly at the very highest magnification these differences can be spotted? Thank you for input.
Borealis

Conner999

I no longer have a copy, but if you search, there was a datasheet Hassy released when introducing the Mod II that compared it to the Mod 1 with various shots and MTFs. The bottom line is the II is moderately sharper/high micro-contrast with far less CA.

SMurphy

I have version II and have been very happy with it on both the X1D II and X2D.  That said, I've never had the opportunity to shoot with either version I or the native mount XCD 120.

As for your question, this press release excerpt explains: Hasselblad announces HC Macro 120mm-II and HC 50mm-II
QuoteThanks to its updated optical design, the lens offers a number of improvements including higher resolution and better close range performance. Importantly - especially for macro work - the new lens offers improved color correction, with cleaner unsharp areas that are free from color cast.

Best,
Scott.

ramarren

I have a Makro-Planar CF 120/4 ... what constitutes a version 1 vs version 2? Thx!

G

SMurphy

G,

The Makro-Planar 120/4 was made by Zeiss for the Hasselblad V system. As per lens-db.com, there were three generations:
  • 120/4 CF released in 1982, details here
  • 120/4 CFi released in 1998, details here
  • 120/4 CFE released in 2001, details here

The HC Macro 120 was made by Fuji for the Hasselblad H system, with two versions:
  • HC Macro 4/120 released in 2004, details here
  • HC Macro 4/120-II released in 2010, details here

Best,
Scott.

polarphoto

Quote from: ramarren on March 27, 2024, 05:04:58 AMI have a Makro-Planar CF 120/4 ... what constitutes a version 1 vs version 2? Thx!

G
Hello Macro Planar is a great lens. I was though referring to the Hasselblad HC 120 f4 which has two versions. Your lens I believe has several versions ending with the CFE version which though is for the original V cameras.
Borealis

polarphoto

Quote from: SMurphy on March 27, 2024, 08:49:23 AM
Quote from: SMurphy on March 27, 2024, 08:49:23 AMG,

The Makro-Planar 120/4 was made by Zeiss for the Hasselblad V system. As per lens-db.com, there were three generations:

G,

• 120/4 CF released in 1982, details here
  • 120/4 CFi released in 1998, details here
  • 120/4 CFE released in 2001, details here

The HC Macro 120 was made by Fuji for the Hasselblad H system, with two versions:
  • HC Macro 4/120 released in 2004, details here
  • HC Macro 4/120-II released in 2010, details here

Best,
Scott.
Thank you Scott
Borealis

Alex

HC120 mk I / II comparison sheet:

(In owning good quality versions of both models, I'd say that the main observed differences were that of comparable decreased purple fringing with the mk Ii (however these observations were from when using them on an H4D50 and before the improved 'adaptive' lens correction option was introduced to Phocus)).

Best,

Alex

Dustbak

Like Aex, the same observations. Decreased purple fringing and CA. This might sound like a minor thing but since I mostly use this lens for its up close capability it makes a huge difference on perceived image quality.

Conner999

https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,4313.0.html

See images linked in 1st two posts. These are the images I was referring to in combination with the Hassy data sheet MTFs. For some reason I thought all were an official Hassy doc.

polarphoto

Thank you all for these very valuable answers!
Borealis