CFV 100c and Release Cord X

Previous topic - Next topic

Georg Kovalcik

Unlike the X2D, where they have forgotten the proper socket for some reason, the Release Cord X should work with the CFV 100c.
This can be seen in the intro video and is confirmed by the manual. But then, on page 141, the manual says "The Hasselblad Release Cord X allows for remote shutter control in Electronic Shutter mode on the CFV 100C, ..." Is this true or an error in the manual? Why should it only work with electronic shutter and not with the central shutter of the lenses (like it does on the 50c)?

JCM-Photos

My CFV II 50c back and X remote cord can only operate with electronic shutter when it is used as a back.
In this case when you want to use a remote trigger with the leaf shutter you have to take a mechanical cable release on the V camera or on the technical camera lens, or a different electric trigger on the V body winder or ELM body.
With a vintage body sync can technically only work from body to back, never from back to body.

But the X remote cord plugged into the back works fine with the 907X and XCD lenses leaf shutter.

It would be bad if the CFV 100c would not work the same.

Sharpen your eyes not your files

Georg Kovalcik

I use 500 series Hasselblads since more than three decades and I do own a 907x and CFV II 50c, so this is all well known. I plan to upgrade to a CFV 100c in two months or so and I´m unsure if I should keep the Release Cord X.

Information if it works the same with the CFV 100c is very contradictionary to say the least:

The intro video for the CFV 100c shows Release Cord X in use which indicates it´s at least usable to some degree: https://cdn.hasselblad.com/f/77891/x/7acde1b359/907x-cfv-100c_main_full_en_1920x1080.mp4

Capture Integration list the Release Cord X among the "Must-Have Accessories for Your Hasselblad 907x 100c" which indicates it´s usable without reservation: https://www.captureintegration.com/must-have-accessories-for-your-hasselblad-907x-100c/

The manual says on page 141 "... remote shutter control in Electronic Shutter mode on the CFV 100C, ..." which indicates usable with electronic shutter only: https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/907X_&_CFV_100C_User_Manual/User_Manual/CFV_100C_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

The data sheet list a shutter control port which indicates it´s at least usable to some degree: https://cdn.hasselblad.com/f/77891/x/bcd5d2053f/907x_cfv_100c_datasheet_en_20240124.pdf

And finally the Hasselblad Brochure (footnote on page 20) "Release Cord X is compatible with X1D II 50C and 907X 50C (X2D 100C is not compatible with Release Cord X)." circumvents the issue by not mentioning the CFV 100c at all: https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals//2.0.0/Hasselblad_Brochure_en_0124.pdf

So my question is, does the Release Cord X work with the CFV 100c without reservation or is it electronic shutter only?

Hendrix_CI

The Remote Release Cord absolutely works with the 907x/CFV 100c with XCD lenses, both in ESS mode (Electronic Sensor Shutter) and also with the Leaf Shutter active in the lens.

https://digitalback.com/products/hasselblad-release-cord-for-x1d

It can also work with the CXFV 100c as a stand alone digital back (whether on view/tech camera or V series body, etc.), but then only in ESS mode.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Georg Kovalcik

Thank you for the information!
These are good news, so basically it works the same way as it did with the CFV II 50c which is what I hoped for.

JCM-Photos

That's absolutely normal when using the back as standalone, shutter triggering has to be made directly on the lens, there cannot be a communication between the back and the full mechanical lens.
The only possible communication is from lens to back through the synch cable you have to plug between lens and back, what enables to sync the digital back to the lens shutter.

So in this config back triggering can only work with ES, its not an issue, it's a normal technical limitation.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: Hendrix_CI on March 27, 2024, 03:56:19 AMThe Remote Release Cord absolutely works with the 907x/CFV 100c with XCD lenses, both in ESS mode (Electronic Sensor Shutter) and also with the Leaf Shutter active in the lens.

https://digitalback.com/products/hasselblad-release-cord-for-x1d

It can also work with the CXFV 100c as a stand alone digital back (whether on view/tech camera or V series body, etc.), but then only in ESS mode.

Steve Hendrix/CI

I should clarify that I mean the leaf shutter in the XCD lenses, not the leaf shutter in a copal shutter outfitted lens.

Steve Hendrix/CI

jakontil

Quote from: JCM-Photos on March 30, 2024, 09:25:14 PMThat's absolutely normal when using the back as standalone, shutter triggering has to be made directly on the lens, there cannot be a communication between the back and the full mechanical lens.
The only possible communication is from lens to back through the synch cable you have to plug between lens and back, what enables to sync the digital back to the lens shutter.

So in this config back triggering can only work with ES, its not an issue, it's a normal technical limitation.

I always wonder how the cfv backs communicate with bodies such as 500 series etc... I mean like it is so flawless.. I see no electronic connection whatsoever and that makes me wonder so much

may be some enlightment anyone?

polychloros

Quote from: jakontil on April 03, 2024, 07:31:46 AMI always wonder how the cfv backs communicate with bodies such as 500 series etc... I mean like it is so flawless.. I see no electronic connection whatsoever and that makes me wonder so much

The camera body communicates with the CFV back via the same mechanical connection (little metal tab that sticks out when the shutter release is depressed) which acts to detects whether the dark slide on a film back has been removed. There is a sensor in a slot on the CFV back which detects when the tab sticks out (ie. when the shutter release is depressed) and the back makes an exposure.

Trevor Whitaker

There's a physical button on the CFV back that is pressed by the tab that sticks out of the back of the film bodies when you press the shutter button.  Here's a pic of the button on my CFV100C (circled in red):

jakontil

Quote from: polychloros on April 03, 2024, 10:17:42 AM
Quote from: jakontil on April 03, 2024, 07:31:46 AMI always wonder how the cfv backs communicate with bodies such as 500 series etc... I mean like it is so flawless.. I see no electronic connection whatsoever and that makes me wonder so much

The camera body communicates with the CFV back via the same mechanical connection (little metal tab that sticks out when the shutter release is depressed) which acts to detects whether the dark slide on a film back has been removed. There is a sensor in a slot on the CFV back which detects when the tab sticks out (ie. when the shutter release is depressed) and the back makes an exposure.

Im amazed with the precision like there's no lag or whatsoever..