CFV 100c on Hasselblad 2xx series

Previous topic - Next topic

Hendrix_CI

Ok, Hasselblad forum. I am at your mercy. I have asked Hasselblad service this question and not really getting anywhere.

The question being - do the modern CFV 50c II and CFV 100c digital backs work on any 2xx series body or does the body still require a modification? I feel like I've read somewhere that the newer gen backs do not need the camera modified. But Hasselblad seems unclear about it. I have spoken to numerous Hasselblad troopers, but no clarity.

Anyone with some hard evidence?

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix/CI

NickT

Hey Steve
Great to see you back here.

Folks @Hendrix_CI  is an absolute font of information so respect him and ask lots of questions!
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

mikaelo67

Hi,

I have the CFV50c II and im using it on a 205FCC. So i can verify that it doesn't need to be modified like before.

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: NickT on February 21, 2024, 08:12:57 PMHey Steve
Great to see you back here.

Folks @Hendrix_CI  is an absolute font of information so respect him and ask lots of questions!

Thanks Nick! I do check in from time to time, just many distractions these days. It's great that you have continued to maintain this place - it's a good place.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: mikaelo67 on February 21, 2024, 08:54:35 PMHi,

I have the CFV50c II and im using it on a 205FCC. So i can verify that it doesn't need to be modified like before.

This is great information, thank you so much!

Steve Hendrix/CI

polarphoto

I remember reading in some manual that it works great on 2000 bodies also. There is a setting in the back which camera body you are using. That is where one can find details upon compatibility.
Borealis

SMurphy

Here's the link to the CFV 100C User Manual: 907X & CVC User Manual - English

See page 28 for the "Using CFV with 200 or 2000 Camera" section.

Best,
Scott.

JCM-Photos

one must be very careful with Hasselblad manuals, I saw recent manuals for new bodies that seem to be "reworked" manuals from older models with some older chapters/sentences being forgotten and no more adequate for the new product.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Hendrix_CI

From what I currently understand - the modification necessary for Hasselblad digital backs is no longer necessary with the CFV 50c-II forward. There is an option in the camera settings to choose:

- 200 Modified

As long as you have a CFV 50c-II or CFV 100c, you can choose 200/2000 and use an un-modified body.

Steve Hendrix/CI

FloatingLens

Yes, I can confirm that the electronic modification is optional. But there is a reason for the modification: in the unmodified version, the CFV back relies on the plunger pin of the body to trigger an exposure. More often than not this leads to unwanted dark exposures (shutter still closed), if the photographer uses the shutter release button of the 200 series camera just to measure the scene.

It is my understanding that the modification tells the back via electronic pin when the shutter really actuates. This means the original function of the 200 series body with a digital back is maintained. If you can live with this caveat, the unmodified camera and digital back do work together.

I think some more limitations were reported with older 2000 bodies related to shutter synchronization problems.