NONS Camera: Instax SQ for Hasselblad V system...

Previous topic - Next topic

ramarren

NONS Camera : an Instax SQ back for Hasselblad V system

Hasselblad V system 6x6 exposures are 56x56 mm in size, and of course the Hasselblad has interchangeable film magazines. So ... In the now distant past (about 6-8 years ago), a kickstarter came up that married a Fuji Instax SQ processing mechanism with a replacement back (for Leica M, Nikon, and various other 35mm cameras) containing enlarging optics and a mirror to exploit making instant prints with your favorite 35mm film camera.

Of course, I bought in on one. I got the Leica M model and it works well enough: replace the back, use a 35 to 135 mm lens on it, stop down two stops from wide open for best results, and adjust exposure by +2 stops for losses in the enlargement optical system. Turns out pretty nice instant prints.

But... It's a large device and awkward to carry, somewhat fragile due to all the pieces to put together and keep in alignment, and not particularly conducive to wanting to take for a walk. But it does work.

Thinking about it way back when, I said to myself: 'Well, Hasseblad made a back for instant film, but it only put a little image on a big print, the film is out of production (peel apart type Polaroid or Fuji) and very expensive when you can still find some. The Instax SQ format is 62x62 mm so a 56x56 mm Hassy image would fit it pretty tightly, and you wouldn't need a mirror or optics—it would be much more efficient. ...' And so I started mucking around with various ways of putting one of the Instax SQ processing units onto the back of the Hasselblad 500CM. I finally gave up, saying to myself that I could not fit the Instax SQ close enough to the film plane due to the shape of the processing unit and the film cartridge, and maybe I could just make a box to mount a Mamiya 23 type lens/shutter/focusing mount onto the front of the processing unit instead.

So I acquired a lens and a broken body (to get the lens mount) and started hacking it to pieces so I could build a box behind it. And got stuck because I just don't have the expensive tools or skills required to do a precision job and make it work.

Roll forward to about two weeks ago, and I stumble across a YouTube vid talking about the NONS Camera Instax SQ film back for Hasselblad V. "What? It just snaps on like a normal back? and pushes the film out the side rather than up or down? and ... and ... and ..." Needless to say, I couldn't resist. It arrived yesterday, late, and I had to try it.

1978 Hasselblad 500CM fitted with NONS Camera Instax SQ back and Planar 80mm f/2.8 T* lens

I opened the box, fitted it to the 500CM, put in a pack of B&W film, and did some quick testing.

GDG and Bookcase on Instax SQ
80mm lens, f/8, scale focused, manually timed about 4-5 seconds exposure.

Kitchen Counter with Knives
120mm macro lens, f/11 at 1/2 second

Fat Bike, FLEETWOOD Tire
120mm macro lens, f/8 at about 26 seconds

Counter Outlet with Switches
120mm Macro lens, f/16 at 1/4 second

I'm pleased with these test shots. I shot the whole pack, but reciprocity failure cost me the other six exposures (underexposure). Instax film isn't really geared to long exposures...

The back is reasonably sized, not overly heavy, and easy to use. It has an on/off switch and a button to eject the print. You can make as many exposures as you want on a frame before ejecting. The dark slide means you can swap other backs on and off partway through a pack of film, and the battery is built-in rechargeable with a USB-C standard port. It has a battery indicator and a frame indicator on the top deck, and a holder for the dark slide.

More info: https://nonscamera.com/products/nons-instant-back

Now to take it out for a walk... :D

G

ramarren

Some more HasselStaxSQ photographs. ;)

Vine Art - Santa Clara 2024
CF Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*

Snow Man - Santa Clara 2024

Bronze Horse at Triton Art Museum - Santa Clara 2024

Coffee & Pastry - Santa Clara 2024
Distagon 50mm f/4 T*

Garage Art - Santa Clara 2024
Distagon 50mm f/4 T*

all:
Hasseblad 500CM + NONS Camera InstaxSQ back
Instax SQ Color film.

Larger versions available to view on Flickr.com

enjoy! G

Samogitian

I've got one, it works nicely. It's a bit of money for low fi images, but I am enjoying it. The trickiest thing is that since the film is 800ISO, my 80mm planar struggles with it since the highest shutter speed is 500. Since those lenses tend to be slow over age, it's even worse. f/22 and 1/500 is not really slow enough at that ISO in broad daylight.

ramarren

Get an ND filter or two to cut the effective film speed to ISO 400 or 200.

G

Samogitian

The only bay 60 ND filter I can find is the Heliopan and I don't want to spend $230 for a filter I'd only use for these fun photos.

deardorff8x10

You could get a bay to 60 adapter and use a less expensive filter, perhaps.  Another idea is to get the 4" square filter and just hold it in front of the lens, since ultimate resolution isn't really an issue for the film.

ramarren

Quote from: deardorff8x10 on March 18, 2024, 04:44:48 AMYou could get a bay to 60 adapter and use a less expensive filter, perhaps.  Another idea is to get the 4" square filter and just hold it in front of the lens, since ultimate resolution isn't really an issue for the film.

Great idea. I have a couple of 77mm filters, and a ton of Bay 50 filters, and I see B&H has adapters for both to Bay 60 for a total of about $50.

G

JCM-Photos

some adapters are of poor quality, bay lock gets weak and has to be bent in place often to lock securely (adapter made in soft aluminium)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

ramarren

Quote from: NickT on April 28, 2024, 03:44:45 PMHow about an iPhone to 4X5 adaptor.. I'm tempted:

https://www.tiktok.com/@toby_wilkins/video/7345576714107424042

I have something like that, somewhere in my mess of curious junk, that adapts an iPhone to Hasselblad V system SLR bodies. It's fun but mostly useless because it is so awkward to use. I similarly have a wacky adapter that fits InstaxSQ onto Leica M bodies ... it's a bit more usable, but not as usable as the NONS InstaxSQ Hasselblad V system back.

All fun stuff ... Finding a way to use these things and produce interesting photos is the challenge. :D

G