Can I transfer files from a CFB card in an X2d to the computer via the usb cable

Previous topic - Next topic

pflower

I haven't actually found a definitive answer to this via google. But I am off to India for an extensive trip with the X2D and suddenly thought that I should get a CFB card and not rely totally on the internal SSD.  Belt and Braces time.  So when I connect the camera to my computer will both the SSD and the CFB card be recognised or do I need an additional card reader?  It seems to me that it would be absurd if the camera and computer didn't recognise both and allow transfer from both.  But I suspect I will never use the CFB card and so an additional card reader would be a waste of money.

Thanks

Patrick CM

Yes. Both the SSD and the CFExpress appear in your file viewer as external drives. You can copy either way.

pflower

Thanks.  I don't think I have ever seen any report from anyone to the effect that the internal SSD has failed, but it's going to be hot and not having a backup would be stupid given the cost of the trip.  So I'll get a CFB card - actually the 64GB version is not wildly expensive at the moment.

flash

Make sure you have a cable capable of the transfer speeds the camera can sustain. I use TB4 cables and the copy speeds are immense.

Gordon

pflower

Yes, I just bought an Acacis enclosure with a crucial P3+ which comes with a thunderbolt 4 cable which I will use rather than the Hasselblad provided cable.

Curiously I bought a Sandisk Extreme card which is stated to be compatible on Hasselblad's FAQ (although I bought a 64GB one whereas Hasselblad's recommendations start at 125GB) and was immediately confronted with a message saying that it was an unsupported card.  Mind you that was before I formatted it. I have since made about a dozen images on it without problem and all transfer well.

34c in Mumbai at the moment.  It will be interesting to see how the X2D copes.  My old X1D had no problems at similar or hotter temperatures a few years ago.

Patrick CM

Interesting re Cards. My X2D came in the Adventure Light Travel kit, which includes a Sony Tough CFExpress card. I exclusively use the internal SSD - so the card is just overflow.
Some photographers use it for backup I know. I'm not a pro...so while backup is useful, it's not vital.

pflower

It all seems to be working fine. I suddenly had a thought about what would happen if the SSD failed whilst I was in India, so although I haven't heard of anyone complaining about SSDs failing I thought that I would get a card just in case the SSD did fail (however unlikely).  Given that I going to be in India for 4 or 5 weeks and the X2D is my main camera (I have a Sony backup) it seemed like a good and, with prices dropping, a reasonable investment.  I hope and doubt that I will ever have to use it for real but ....