HEIF vs JPG Quality / Colors SOOC

Previous topic - Next topic

etn

Quote from: fcarucci on February 11, 2024, 01:02:42 PMHEIF is 10bit per component, so, yes, better color accuracy. But you don't want to shoot either. Shoot RAW, edit and then export to whatever format you prefer.
The best is probably to shoot both for redundancy.

Long story short, I recently wanted to open pictures from 2017 stored on my NAS. Many JPGs have bit corruption in them, resulting in them being unusable. I don't know whether the bit corruption happened on my computer before I transferred them to the NAS for long-term storage, or on the NAS itself in the meantime. It's a moot point.

In any case, to me the name of the game is now: uncompressed RAW and JPG (or HEIC since the latest firmware).

fcarucci

Sorry to hear, that's very likely bitrot happening randomly while the data is on your NAS. Bitrot is a cancer for long term archival of images. Are you using a NAS that supports BTRFS? That gives some protection against bitrot. Frequent scrubbing is the only prevention to minimize impact of bitrot.

Bitrot is the main reason why I have two archival copies of my raws that I back up regularly now and I also export a master tiff of my printed images that I keep in two different places.

adrianh

I've experienced some significant differences in skin colours between the SOOC JPG and the export from Phocus (without any further modifications) so I will not rely on JPGs SOOC.