spot on pictures - the camera, or lens?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Foster

Were I to use Eclipse I'd purchase 2 do the 15 ml (0.5 ounce) bottles. I'd keep both in a dry box and clearly mark the bottle in use. The second bottle would be a back up: it would be much cheaper to maintain this inventory than to pay for overnight delivery.

As the cover glass used in current sensors is much thinner than was formerly the case and as I'd rather not test the robustness of the IBIS assembly I've become reluctant to apply force in removing foreign matter.

Contamination by sticky pollen is one sensor cleaning situation I've encountered where I might recommend the use of water contaminated Eclipse if other methods failed first. You'll have a streaky mess to clean up in any case. YMMV

The outermost wall of pollen (sporopollenin) is a polymeric substance in the chemical family terpines. Most terpines are somewhat soluble in a methanol or ethanol + water solution. Again, use a minimum of solvent on the swab. Gently and patiently work the swab.

Bob

Hareb

I read about Eclipse here and am now using it. The bottle is small and I have to clean often. I don't know how long it will take for the problem with the water and the streaks to arise. So far I have no problems. I use it for 6 months.

I take pads from JJC. VisibleDust is extremely expensive and apparently only special pads fit the different liquids. That is to complicated for me. Rollei also has a sensor set that cleans very well and is very inexpensive.

Hendrix_CI

To detect dust or blemishes on the IR Filter (or below), we perform certification testing on trade in digital backs/cameras. We capture a translucent plexi plate (our LCC plate) in front of the lens at f/22 and produce an upper middle-ish histogram exposure of the medium/light grey result.

We then run the file through numerous adjustments (curves, contrasty, clarity) all designed to accentuate any deviation from what should be a smooth grey result. If you often shoot at larger apertures, you may be surprised by how much dust you see shooting at f/22 that you didn't see at f/5.6.

Steve Hendrix/CI