diopter corrections for 503 CW WLF loupe and PME 51 (or PM 45)

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne1

Hi
You sent me the 1998 catalogue of products. There was no PME45 in this catalogue, just PME5 and PME51 (page 27).
For the PME51 I am looking for (I have Acute matte D screen), diopter changes are made with interchangeable lenses, and I am looking for the -2 diopter  (#42420, from page 27).
Because JCM says his P45 metered does not have an adjustable eyepiece, maybe there were multiple versions?

MSuser

The PME45 was a major redesign from its predecessors. You'll find it in the Hasselblad 2001 Product Catalog on page 29. You can also find it in the Hasselblad 2004 Product Catalog on page 55. Thanks to the incredible folks at Internet Archive https://archive.org

You can find exploded views and service information in the Hasselblad Service Manual Accessories III for the PME51 (section 6), PM45 (section 29), and the PME45 (section 30 near the end of the manual).

The manual for the PME45 can be read here or downloaded for free here.

wayne1

MSuser

Thank you again! These catalogues are a gold mine of information. I looked at section 6 of the Service Manual Accessories for the PME51; looks like a fixed ocular. I purchased one today, together with a view magnifier which is specified for the PME45 and I hope will work for the PME51.

Wayne

wayne1

As far as I can tell, the PME51 is the same in all aspects as the PME45 except for the calibration of the light meter for the Acute Matte D screen, is that correct?

wayne1

No, I should have read the details from above. Sorry. The PME45 is the newer version with 3 metering modes and better suited to using with glasses.
Wayne

JCM-Photos

sorry but my PME-3 45 doesn't have an adjustable eyepiece as all many other 45deg prisms with the same form factor. (adjustment is done by corrective lenses)

My HC-3/4 prism, also called "Hensold prism" or "NASA prism" has a big knurled diopter adjustment ring
Sharpen your eyes not your files

MSuser

PME3 is the model name of a 45° meter prism viewfinder. The catalog number is 42294. It was made from about 1989 to 1991 when it was replaced by the PME5. It uses individual correction eyepieces. It does not have a variable diopter adjustment which is true for all of the 45° prisms made from 1971 thru 1999.

PME45 is the model name of a different 45° meter prism viewfinder. The catalog number is 42297. It was made from about 2000 to 2006. It was the final model of meter prisms made by Hasselblad and it is different in many ways from any previous generation or model of Hasselblad meter prism. It does have a variable diopter adjustment.

The model, catalog number, approximate production years, magnification, and notes on the individual models of prisms is all spelled out in three separate lists (45° Meter Prism Viewfinders, 45° Prism Viewfinders, and 90° Prism Viewfinders) in this post on the first page of this thread. Maybe it doesn't show up for some members. I don't know. It's pretty clear and informative if you can see it. It's also quite accurate.

MSuser

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 23, 2024, 10:51:36 PM
My HC-3/4 prism, also called "Hensold prism" or "NASA prism" has a big knurled diopter adjustment ring

The HC-3/70 and HC-4 (also called the RM) 90° prism finders are two different models with different specifications. Both models have a variable eyepiece with a ± 5 diopter range.

MSuser

Quote from: wayne1 on January 23, 2024, 06:15:23 PM

MSuser

Thank you again! These catalogues are a gold mine of information.

You can find lots of good information online in the Pacific Rim Camera Reference Library.

More Hasselblad information, including catalogs, can be found there. www.pacificrimcamera.com/Hasselblad Reference Library

JCM-Photos

HC3/70 is special HC3 with a longer tube  to use with the bigger 70mm back.

NASA had a modified model that could be reverse mounted to shoot over the shoulder with the camera back against the spacecraft wall. (to maximize cabin shooting distance)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

wayne1

I finally ordered a PME45, produced starting in 2000, the same year as my 503CW Millennium. MSuser, the catalogues were immensely helpful in understanding the details. I also purchased a "chimney" finder with adjustable diopter. This is  great except for ergonomics. The prism finder should arrive from Japan in a few days (why is all the Hasselblad stuff from Japan?).
I am really excited about trying this system. I am motivated by the thought that it will not be outdated (further) in the next few years, unlike the merry-go-round of digital, where every couple of years there are major changes of technology pushing me onward to the next step. I just want to settle down and photograph with no threats of the future change.

mikaelo67

With those purchases you got yourself a killer package that you will be able to use forever. You will love it.

Best of luck on your new adventure.

Mikael

wayne1

thanks for everyone's help! I finished building the kit even before a single image! Probably stupid, but I became so convinced that I just did it. 
At this point I have (or will soon receive) the following all in mint condition! I could never have sorted this out without so much input from this forum.
1. The 503CW with 80mm CFE lens, Millennium
2. Zeiss 50 mm CFi FLE lens
3. Zeiss 150 mm CF
4. PME45
5. additional A12 IV film back
6.RRS plate for tripod mount
7. Minolta F spot meter
8. Hasselblad "chimney" view finder with adjustable diopter
9. Hasselblad XV adapter to use the lenses on the X2D

I mounted the lenses on my X2D and was amazed at how beautiful they render a scene! After reading reviews on how poor they were compared to the XCD lenses I was prepared for something much worse. Next week I will head out for some test shots to test everything (and me). I will start with color negative film (Kodak 100 Ektar) and Ilford FP4 plus black and white. Any advice on the films for landscape would be appreciated. I started here just to check exposure. There is a local film lab here in Los Angeles (Icon) which will develop and scan for $25 per role with 2-3 day turnaround. Should be exciting!

Wayne

MSuser

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 24, 2024, 01:56:44 AM
HC3/70 is special HC3 with a longer tube  to use with the bigger 70mm back.

Hasselblad made the prism viewfinders listed earlier in this thread.

The HC-3/70 is designed to be suitable for use with the 70mm film magazine. It isn't a special HC-3 model. It is the only HC-3 model.

An HC-3/70 with a shorter eyepiece tube is called an HC-4. The other difference is that an HC-3 has 4x magnification and an HC-4 has 3x magnification.

polarphoto

Hello - I think I have seen RM2 that have been adjusted to fit the 200 series cameras? Has anyone else seen these?
Borealis