Interesting post by Jim Kasson regarding X2d Autofocus

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne1

Jgregg

I own most of the XCD lenses and the 120 is my favorite for intimate landscape photography and semi-macro ( not 1:1). The autofocus is very fast and accurate for these purposes where there is decent light. This is one lens with which I would not part.

Wayne

Bob Foster

I agree with the comments of Jgregg and marko. The lens is optically excellent. As has been noted elsewhere, a quick. rather rough manual pre-focus will usually help the XCD 120 more quickly auto-focus.

Though not fully equal to the other XCD lenses, the auto-focus of the XCD120 is considerably quicker when the subject not close to the camera provided that you have plenty of constant light to work with. If you are using speedlights or studio strobes as your primary lighting source auto-focus will be much less speedy.

The closer to the subject the camera is to the subject (more magnification), the less available light that is available, and the less contrast at the focus point the more time the XCD 120 is likely to take to obtain focus. I suspect (but do not know) that this is why Hasselblad did not implement auto-focus on the HC 120 II (orange dot) macro lens when it is used with the H to X adapter. All other HC/HCD lenses capable of accepting firmware 19.1.0 will auto-focus when used with the H to X adapter.

Speculation- Used without optical modification (no supplementary lenses, no teleconverter etc.) it may be worth noting that the magnification range of all of the other XCD lenses range from 1:10 (the XCD 21) to 1:5.2 (the XCD 45P). As magnification increases it is necessary in taking full advantage of the optical quality of the lenses and the sensor for the size of each increment at which the camera evaluates focus to decrease. More steps, more data to process if you will. Used with the 1.7X converter at near its maximum magnification in poor light and/or low contrast situations I've noted that the XCD 135 (the combination has a magnification ratio 1:3.4) will occasionally struggle to auto-focus, though to a much lesser degree than the XCD 120 at near its maximum magnification. Needless to say, the increments at which the camera must evaluate focus in the XCD 120 as magnification approaches the near limit (1:2) are very small indeed. I do not know if the slow focus cycle is entirely due to a hardware problem (data processing speed) or if perhaps more efficient code in the lens firmware, the camera firmware or both might help to speed things up.

Bob

MGrayson

Just to note, the Leica S 120/2.5 Macro (also a 1:2) focuses reasonably quickly and seldom hunts. Perhaps the wide aperture helps.

Matt

stefan_iacob@me.com

Quote from: Jgregg on January 20, 2024, 12:56:37 AM
Would folks who have experience of the 120mm XCD , in hindsight, avoid it like the plague? (I have the chance of a very nice condition used lens for a significant saving.)

The 120 is an amazing lens, supersharp at all distances, draws beautifully  ... I only swapped it for the 135 + TC due to the TC versatility (I shoot often at 230mm).
No regrets in owning that lens, you'll love it! :)

MGrayson

For a 120 Macro, I'd suggest the Mamiya 645 120/4. It's a true 1:1. For ~230mm, the Zeiss 250/5.6 Superachromat is extraordinary. Both of these lenses have manual MF (as opposed to focus by wire) so they are easier to nail.

Just some alternatives.

Wait! I take it back. XCD 120 wide open

Matt