X2D Battery Storage Question

Previous topic - Next topic

DPH

Brand new Hasselblad owner, and I wonder if I should leave camera in body for extended periods when not being used. I have Nikon and Fuji bodies, and I always leave the battery out of these, even for short durations. In fact, I usually pull it out just to change lenses. Is there a recommended practice for the X2? Thanks.

DPH

Of course, that should have red leave battery in body. Oops.

mar-ko

I can see three reasons to remove batteries from a device:
- power drainage: not a problem with the X2D from my experience
- leaking: modern Li-Ion batteries are leak proof
- sensitivity: extreme cold or hot temperatures may damage Li-Ion batteries, so in those cases, I would remove them.

But you should really use your X2D more, so that never becomes a question.  ;)

Patrick CM

I leave the battery in all the time..l think that I would take it out were I not using the camera for over a month. I have three batteries. I rotate every time one gets to about 50% or less, and I keep them fully charged.

DPH

Thanks for these replies. One reason I take the battery out of my other bodies, which I use on a regular basis, is that I don't want there to be any risk of a static charge drawing dust onto the sensor when changing lenses. As a habit, I take the battery out of my bodies every time before I change a lens. I also pull batteries out when I am done shooting. I never shelve a camera, even for a very brief period of time, with the battery in it. After all, in my mind, the battery is completing contact with the electrical system of the camera as long as it is in the camera body. Maybe not drawing much current, but I can't imagine drawing none at all.

I can't see this same strategy happening with my X2D, because what would fill that battery compartment if the battery is out of it? My other bodies have doors to their battery compartment. The X2D does not seem to.

jakontil

Quote from: mar-ko on December 23, 2023, 07:01:20 AM
I can see three reasons to remove batteries from a device:
- power drainage: not a problem with the X2D from my experience
- leaking: modern Li-Ion batteries are leak proof
- sensitivity: extreme cold or hot temperatures may damage Li-Ion batteries, so in those cases, I would remove them.

But you should really use your X2D more, so that never becomes a question.  ;)

Yeah this is very enlightening, especially power drainage, still happens badly on my M10r but no problem with X2D, even just storing for like a week

tenmangu81

No problem with my X1D II. Because I suspected the battery life was shorter than expected, my HB dealer and the Gothenburg HB factory kept my battery for a full month in place, and no leak at all was observed. So, I always leave my battery in, except when it is discharged. I change it then when necessary (I have two batteries, and I keep one almost fully charged).
Robert

Georg Kovalcik

,, static charge drawing dust onto the sensor" - I do not think this has anything to do with the battery.

doc steel

What???
There is only one reason for me to remove the battery: when i want to charge it in a charger.
And long duration without any usage is not existent in my life.

DPH

After some research, of course much of which is divided on the issue, it looks like the consensus is that in terms of a static charge drawing dust onto a camera sensor, the likelihood is very small, because the charge is so tiny. In some discussions, comparisons were made to the static charge on VERY old CRT tubes. I can remember wiping accumulated dust off of monitors in the 80s/90s, or old TV screens from the 60s. But the charge produced by a camera battery is nowhere near that strong.

boojum

Mine is in all the time except to swap it for the backup battery.
Elpis

Patrick CM