Question about Phocus to Lightroom

Previous topic - Next topic

SrMi

Quote from: MGrayson on December 25, 2023, 12:13:50 AM
Quote from: doc steel on December 24, 2023, 10:10:09 PM
Cam > .3fr > Phocus > .fff > LR > .fff > edit everything in LR > export in .Tiff for storage / export in . jpeg for delivery
This should be the way you go.
I use Phocus as an "transmission tool" only for two reasons:
1. the color profile stays embedded and LR can "read" it.
2. i am more comfortable with LR and have the advantage of additional presets.

I do this exactly except the exporting as TIFF for storage, which I really should do! I always complain about the danger of Adobe's subscription only model.
What danger? If your subscription lapses you will still be able to export to TIFF and browse your images.

MGrayson

Quote from: SrMi on December 25, 2023, 01:35:12 AM
Cam > .3fr > Phocus > .fff > LR > .fff > edit everything in LR > export in .Tiff for storage / export in . jpeg for delivery

I do this exactly except the exporting as TIFF for storage, which I really should do! I always complain about the danger of Adobe's subscription only model.
What danger? If your subscription lapses you will still be able to export to TIFF and browse your images.

LR is still a single point of failure. I don't like single points of failure.

Thick ice, deep water.

SrMi

Quote from: MGrayson on December 25, 2023, 04:31:33 AM

Thick ice, deep water.
I do not follow. How is it a single point of failure?

tenmangu81

Thick ice, deep water.

Adobe will very likely survive us. And accordingly their software. No worries, then, except if you decide to unsubscribe. In that case, you should export at least your best images as TIFFs from Lightroom before closing your account.... Huge work, indeed.
Robert

MGrayson

I pray that you never have cause to doubt your optimism. I have nothing more to say on the subject.

SrMi

Quote from: MGrayson on December 25, 2023, 08:35:23 AM
I pray that you never have cause to doubt your optimism. I have nothing more to say on the subject.
You have not answered what cause and effect make you worried about using Adobe. I assume you are worried that Adobe cancels its products, like Apple did with Aperture. While that event is annoying it is manageable, as we have seen with Aperture.
Without an explanation, it looks like you are spreading FUD.

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on December 25, 2023, 08:22:21 AM

Thick ice, deep water.

Adobe will very likely survive us. And accordingly their software. No worries, then, except if you decide to unsubscribe. In that case, you should export at least your best images as TIFFs from Lightroom before closing your account.... Huge work, indeed.
After closing your account you can export or print your image on demand using the functionality that is active even when the account is closed.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on December 25, 2023, 12:54:29 PM

Thick ice, deep water.

After closing your account you can export or print your image on demand using the functionality that is active even when the account is closed.

Sure ? Thanks for the information, I didn't know that.
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on December 25, 2023, 11:25:51 PM
Quote from: SrMi on December 25, 2023, 12:54:29 PM

Thick ice, deep water.

Sure ? Thanks for the information, I didn't know that.
From Adobe's site:
You can continue to access all your photos on your local hard drive through Lightroom for the desktop. You can continue to import and organize photos and output your edited photos through Export, Publish, Print, Web, or Slideshow. Access to the Develop & Map modules and Lightroom for mobile is not available after your membership ends.

MGrayson

Quote from: SrMi on December 25, 2023, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: MGrayson on December 25, 2023, 08:35:23 AM
You have not answered what cause and effect make you worried about using Adobe. I assume you are worried that Adobe cancels its products, like Apple did with Aperture. While that event is annoying it is manageable, as we have seen with Aperture.
Without an explanation, it looks like you are spreading FUD.

I've responded off-line. To everyone in this thread, I apologize for my tone above. I don't insist that anyone share my paranoia.

Matt

fcarucci

Interesting. Is the final tiff from LR pixel to pixel the same as if exported from Phocus? (assuming there's no further correction in LR of course).

MGrayson

Quote from: fcarucci on December 26, 2023, 05:08:19 AM

Interesting. Is the final tiff from LR pixel to pixel the same as if exported from Phocus? (assuming there's no further correction in LR of course).

LR and Phocus apply lens corrections slightly differently. Sharpening levels are also not guaranteed to be the same. I'll try subtracting one from the other, It should be interesting!

MGrayson

This is interesting. Done with no (deliberate) processing. Exported as 16 bit TIFFs First, the OOC Phocus. Yes, it's Soup.
X2D, XCD 90/3.2 wide open, but ISO 3200. (I'll try it later with an ISO 100 pic. Have to run off to meet the probably future in-laws.

Here's the difference computed in PS.

Good! That's what we expect.
Her's the difference boosted 5 stops. There are some jpeg and resizing artifacts, but you get the idea. Looks like there is a small overall levels difference, but some odd things in the corners, too.

And boosted 10 stops.

That's a very small difference in my book, especially as I couldn't be *sure* that all the default settings were the same.

By comparison, here's the difference with vignetting correction turned on vs. off, boosted 5 stops. This is an obvious difference to the eye, so perhaps unfair. But it's something we can all see.

Matt

tenmangu81

Thanks Matt !! Very interesting ! It means that, as expected, TIFFs obtained from Phocus and from Lr are not the same, and this could arise as 'normal' if we consider that Phocus applies HNCS while Lr doesn't, as I recently learnt. Is my analysis relevant ?

But an other question, then : are the recipes for converting into a TIFF the same for all softwares ? For instance, when you try to save a TIFF from Photoshop, you get a window with many options (image compression, pixel order, bit order,...).
Robert

fcarucci

Fantastic work, Matt! Very helpful. I'd stick with Phocus + export to TIFF to LR for critical work then.