Lens Support for XCD 120 3.5 Macro + NiSI

Previous topic - Next topic

boojum

I have the new, to me, 120 and the NiSi showed up and it really gets me in close.  Great.  But everything costs.  The NiSi weighs a ton, OK, 0.715 pounds.  At the end of a tele it applies some torque to the lens mount.  I want to keep this camera as pristine as possible so what is the recommended extension support for it?  The Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support seems to fill the bill and at a reasonable price.  How did that happen?  Anyway, has this been used here and how well does it work?  If it is not good, what is?  Manfrotto:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554350-REG/Manfrotto_293_293_Telephoto_Lens_Support.html

Fotodiox makes a lens collar for a Canon with an ID of 82mm, the XCD 120 3.5 diameter is 81mm.  The cushioned inner suede and adjustable collar make me think it would work.

What is the board's wisdom?
Thanks.
Elpis

pdprinter

I rented the 120mm and tested it with the NiSi 77 on my 907X and had no concern being too heavy for the lens mount. My only concern is a tripod mount for that camera.
I decided to get the 90V and it works fine with the NiSi up to 1:2 but I am waiting for an updated XCD macro.

boojum

HB replied that they feel the lens mount hardware is sturdy enough to carry the load. They went on to say that anything I hang off the front of the camera which is not HB is at my own risk.  They pointed out their tilt-shift products which is nearly two pounds is safe.  And the 120 3.5 macro is safe.  But add the NiSi and to do so is at my own risk.  Legalese smokescreen is what that sounds like. But, I am getting a lens collar just to be safe.   The lens collar is about $50.  Fixing a damaged lens mount would be way more and I would be without the camera for a while, a long while.  East choice.
Elpis