HEIC files from X2d

Previous topic - Next topic

boojum

Later:  I have found one on-line house that accepts TIFF but only in 8-bit.  I see little advantage in this particular case.
Elpis

fcarucci

Quote from: boojum on December 17, 2023, 10:57:21 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, Carucci, thanks!  That was a very clear, comprehensive and understandable explanation.  Guys like you are why I am on this board: to learn something.  ;o)

Now I just have to find an online printing house that takes TIFF.  If I get a sweet JPG/HEIC I can go to the 3FR and tweak it for printing and export it as TIFF.  I print very, very little but now I know.  And have been warned that it takes time to get the RAW image right.  I used to record music and getting the edits done and the sound right took time, too.  Same-same.

Thank you!

Thanks so much! That's very kind of you.

Quote from: boojum on December 17, 2023, 11:38:54 AM
Later:  I have found one on-line house that accepts TIFF but only in 8-bit.  I see little advantage in this particular case.

I used to print here when I didn't have my own printer:
https://www.millerslab.com/home

It used to accept 16bit TIFF. Let me know if it works, I have a fairly good experience printing and I can find a decent one if Miller doesn't work out. Come to the worst, I can print for you once in a while.

boojum

Quote from: fcarucci on December 18, 2023, 09:22:58 AM
Quote from: boojum on December 17, 2023, 10:57:21 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, Carucci, thanks!  That was a very clear, comprehensive and understandable explanation.  Guys like you are why I am on this board: to learn something.  ;o)

Now I just have to find an online printing house that takes TIFF.  If I get a sweet JPG/HEIC I can go to the 3FR and tweak it for printing and export it as TIFF.  I print very, very little but now I know.  And have been warned that it takes time to get the RAW image right.  I used to record music and getting the edits done and the sound right took time, too.  Same-same.

Thank you!

Thanks so much! That's very kind of you.

Quote from: boojum on December 17, 2023, 11:38:54 AM

I used to print here when I didn't have my own printer:
https://www.millerslab.com/home

It used to accept 16bit TIFF. Let me know if it works, I have a fairly good experience printing and I can find a decent one if Miller doesn't work out. Come to the worst, I can print for you once in a while.

Send that man the Osso Bucco!  There used to be a great place on the west side of El Camino in Santa Clara, Tuesdays for Osso Bucco IIRC.  ;o)

OK, business: Miller has hoops for me to jump through as they accept only "professionals".  I am just another amateur hack out there sullying the name of HB.  LOL  But, like the proverbial blind hog who finds a root once in awhile, I do get a printable photo once in awhile.  It's the law of averages.  I will try to masquerade my way through the Miller minefield as I really want to see a difference in prints.  Nations has been printing my JPG's and they have come out well.

The X2D is such an exceptional camera for color and definition with the XCD 55V that like other folks I would like to see that little bit extra in 16 bit TIFF's.  So the process is 1) get a good image, 2) learn to edit it in Phocus so I keep the HB color and 3) try a test shot if I can find a 16 bit print lab.

You have been kind.  Thank you.
Elpis

fcarucci

"Osso buco" with only one "c"... Picky italian here :D

It is, indeed, an exceptional camera.

boojum

Quote from: fcarucci on December 18, 2023, 07:03:46 PM
"Osso buco" with only one "c"... Picky italian here :D

It is, indeed, an exceptional camera.

Thanks for the correction.  I am always willing to learn.  Grazi.   ;)
Elpis

Justin

As far as compatibility of the HEIC/HEIF files goes, they are not recognised by my Capture One, but are, not surprisingly, by Apple Photos. A quick comparison between a RAW file in Phocus and the HEIC/HEIF file in Photos show the latter as fairly impressive for detail, although strongly sharpened and with some loss of colour accuracy in the highlights, tending to a colour cast.

boojum

Quote from: Justin on December 19, 2023, 12:48:11 AM
As far as compatibility of the HEIC/HEIF files goes, they are not recognised by my Capture One, but are, not surprisingly, by Apple Photos. A quick comparison between a RAW file in Phocus and the HEIC/HEIF file in Photos show the latter as fairly impressive for detail, although strongly sharpened and with some loss of colour accuracy in the highlights, tending to a colour cast.

How much of the difference could be a difference between Phocus and Photos?  Until HB gets Phocus to read and edit HEIC files things are up in the air. 

I am amazed and disappointed that HB would release a format for their camera that their software cannot handle.  This is a comical failure.  I mean WTF!  Who is driving the bus in Gothenburg and are they sober?  This is clown stuff. When I had a job it was writing software.  This is a colossal project failure.
Elpis

mar-ko

Thank you for (continuously) exposing your thought. Too bad, this is starting to become an endless loop.

fcarucci

Quote from: mar-ko on December 19, 2023, 12:58:26 PM
Thank you for (continuously) exposing your thought. Too bad, this is starting to become an endless loop.

Yeah, the argument that Phocus not supporting a format that is designed for delivery is a comical failure really does not hold water.

MSuser

Online forums and comment sections are where molehills go to be made into mountains.

boojum

Quote from: MSuser on December 19, 2023, 03:19:15 PM
Online forums and comment sections are where molehills go to be made into mountains.

Much of what is justice turns on whose ox is gored.
Elpis