Presentation of future X2D acquirer and XCD 45P question.

Previous topic - Next topic

JMBesse

Hello (from France;), I plan to switch to X2D in the coming days. I have been a Leica for more than 25 years (M6; M3; M2). And even today I photograph with an M-P 240 and a SL2S/ 24-70mm f2.8. The medium format as well as the "experience" (object and colors) Hasselblad attract me a lot. I mainly take travel, landscape and street photos. Never action/sport photos, nor animal photos. First, I intend to equip the case with the XCD45P. I read the forum a lot in order to enrich myself with your opinions and experiences. A recent discussion with a reseller surprised me a lot, saying that this lens is not very qualitative because it is not suitable, nor manufactured for a 102 Mp sensor....

I'm a little confused.....

Thank you in advance for your help.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Welcome

Currently there are 3 newer XCD "V" lenses (38, 55, and 90) and one newer "P" (28) - and also the full range of original XCD lenses, although some like the 4,0/21 is now out of production.

First question why 45mm ~ 35.4mm on a 35mm/FF sensor -- answer same reason as most reportage shooters one camera/one lens - 35mm fl is great for out and about.
The XCD 4,0/45P ~ smaller, lighter cheaper and yes not quite a strong as the XCD 3,5/45 is a good place to start -- if you can buy a good one for a good price. Like all reportage lenses it is best in the centre and less good on the edges. Well similar comments are made about the new 28P and some of the new "V" lenses.

If you want the best edge to edge and a 45mm then go for the XCD 3,5/45mm if you want more "natural" reportage look then the 45p is just fine.

mar-ko

Welcome, JMBesse!
I made the switch from Leica (M9, M240, M10) to X1D/X2D, too. Although—like in the Leica world—, we are discussing about »good« and »better« lenses in the XCD lineup, I feel it is very much like in the Leica world: there are small differences, but every single XCD lens can give you excellent results.

From my own experience, I can assure you, that the 45P is a great choice for the X2D.

tenmangu81

I have only the X1D II but the 45P is a very, very good lens to start with. Better than, for instance the new 55V, which is not that good at the edges. I can check the difference even with the 50Mpx sensor.
Robert

JMBesse

Thank you very much Andy for this quick response. Yes, I am looking for an all-terrain lens in the first place and the 45mm seems ideal to me, and its price also in P version  :D

Thank you for your recommendations between the two versions.

So you confirm that both versions will be adapted to the sensor?

Thank you.

JMBesse

Quote from: mar-ko on November 27, 2023, 11:14:32 PM
Welcome, JMBesse!
I made the switch from Leica (M9, M240, M10) to X1D/X2D, too. Although—like in the Leica world—, we are discussing about »good« and »better« lenses in the XCD lineup, I feel it is very much like in the Leica world: there are small differences, but every single XCD lens can give you excellent results.

From my own experience, I can assure you, that the 45P is a great choice for the X2D.

Thank you very much, here I am reassured :D

JMBesse

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 27, 2023, 11:19:32 PM
I have only the X1D II but the 45P is a very, very good lens to start with. Better than, for instance the new 55V, which is not that good at the edges. I can check the difference even with the 50Mpx sensor.

Perfect for me, thank you very much  :D

thesilentman

I would also advise to try your M lenses on the X2D via an adapter, you might be positively surprised at what they can produce on a larger sensor.

mar-ko

Quote from: thesilentman on November 28, 2023, 12:18:18 AM
I would also advise to try your M lenses on the X2D via an adapter, you might be positively surprised at what they can produce on a larger sensor.
M lenses will be optically up to the task, but my two reasons to disagree here are:
a) non-Hasselblad-/-central-shutter lenses will require electronic shutter, which is slow (166 ms in 14bit, 370 ms in 16bit according to Hasselblad; Jim Kasson confirmed this by measurements: https://blog.kasson.com/x2d/hasselblad-x2d-electronic-shutter-scan-time/)
b) M lenses (designed »only for full frame«) will often show vignetting

JMBesse

Ok, I'll try while knowing the mar-ko reserves. I'll tell you.

For now, I have to go to the Medium Format store in Paris on Thursday to take the jewel in hand and "feel" if the current is good between us.

Probably an appréhension on my part about the focus that can only be done by the screen.

To follow....

PatrickM

I had the 45p as part of the Adventure kit, which, with the X2D also has the XCD 4/21 lens. I never used the 45p, so when the V lenses arrived I bought those and sold the 45p. As an amateur, I'm really pleased with the results from all these lenses.

thesilentman

Quote from: mar-ko on November 28, 2023, 12:31:07 AM
M lenses will be optically up to the task, but my two reasons to disagree here are:
a) non-Hasselblad-/-central-shutter lenses will require electronic shutter, which is slow (166 ms in 14bit, 370 ms in 16bit according to Hasselblad; Jim Kasson confirmed this by measurements: https://blog.kasson.com/x2d/hasselblad-x2d-electronic-shutter-scan-time/)

I agree with everything, but consider the following from my recent experiences:
a) When I was using the 907x the rolling shutter was very difficult to tame. After the switch to the X2D, even in 16bit mode the image stabilizer does a great job of practically eliminating rolling shutter effects when shooting scenes where objects don't move much. Of course if one is shooting movement often - adapted lenses are a no go.
The X2D and its image stabilization also helps deal with banding caused by LEDs by lowering the shutter speeds to around 1/30 or even lower.

b) Lightroom + the shadow recoverability of the RAW files help me eliminate 100% of the vignetting, which TBH sometimes can even be artistically desirable.

For my particular use-cases I am happily living with the electronic shutter limitations and enjoy the crazy fast, compact and creamy range of M mount lenses (specifically the Summilux 50 and Voigtlander 40mm 1.2).

Some real word examples can be seen here (most taken with the 907x):
https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=9231.0

JMBesse

Quote from: thesilentman on November 28, 2023, 06:34:01 AM
Quote from: mar-ko on November 28, 2023, 12:31:07 AM

I agree with everything, but consider the following from my recent experiences:
a) When I was using the 907x the rolling shutter was very difficult to tame. After the switch to the X2D, even in 16bit mode the image stabilizer does a great job of practically eliminating rolling shutter effects when shooting scenes where objects don't move much. Of course if one is shooting movement often - adapted lenses are a no go.
The X2D and its image stabilization also helps deal with banding caused by LEDs by lowering the shutter speeds to around 1/30 or even lower.

b) Lightroom + the shadow recoverability of the RAW files help me eliminate 100% of the vignetting, which TBH sometimes can even be artistically desirable.

For my particular use-cases I am happily living with the electronic shutter limitations and enjoy the crazy fast, compact and creamy range of M mount lenses (specifically the Summilux 50 and Voigtlander 40mm 1.2).

Some real word examples can be seen here (most taken with the 907x):
https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=9231.0

Thank you for these examples. I really like the last photo. I think I will try my Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 with the X2D.