X2D / Capture One

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Good morning,

1°) I have just downloaded the trial version of Capture One.
Until then, I used Phocus for importing and LR for developing .fff files, but I had the opportunity to see the superiorities of Capture One and I am ready to try.
I manage to import jpgs and DNGs from my M11 into the C1 library, but the .fff files from my X2D are invisible!
Is there a trick?

2°) I use PS only for the "fluidity" option (the one that allows you to lose weight on big bellies ;).
Is there the equivalent in LR or C1?

Note: I have an old (already 6 years) MacBookPro which is hanging around a bit with LR.
I have the impression that C1 is faster...

Thank you in advance for your help,
Alain (from France)

SBehnke15

There is no trick to making CaptureOne work with .fff or .3fr files. CaptureOne does not support Hasselblad raw files. Your best bet is to write to both Hasselblad and CaptureOne and see if you can be another raindrop to fill the bucket and make them develop support for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by fluidity. Do you mean the Liquify filter? If you do, I'm not aware of an option in Lightroom or CaptureOne to do the same. Affinity Photo has one and it is similar to Photoshop without the subscription fee.

ALAIN

Good morning,

Capture One being excluded for Hasselblad, I tested the software
"Dxo Photolab 7"
From my tests of the trial version, it accepts Hasselblad files, but in .3F (direct import, without going through Phocus) and does not accept .fff (import by Phocus). It also has the advantage (compared to LR and C1) of not having to manage catalogs and synchronizations, which makes my hair stand on end!
As for the Leica M11 files, the quality is much higher than LR. I think we are at C1 level. I have to test on the .3F...

Hence a question (before leaving for Dxo without going through Phocus):
- at what point in the flow is the famous Hasselblad Natural Color Solution (HNCS) technology taken into account?
in other words :
- is it in action directly in the boxes (H or X) or does it only occur during demosaicing in Phocus, or through another software?
and to remove another doubt:
- what exactly is a .fff file (resulting from the import by Phocus and weighing approximately 20% less than a .3F)?

All of this is important when choosing a workflow and development software.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Alain (from France)

SMurphy

Bonjour Alain,

I am by no means an expert, but understand the following from researching Hasselblad webinars and online manuals:

• HNCS colour transformations are applied in Phocus to the FFF Raw file as it is being converted into either the Hasselblad RGB or Hasselblad L star RGB working spaces for final processing
  • 3FR: These files are a result of captures stored on CF cards generated by untethered Hasselblad equipment. They are visible as 3FR badged thumbnails and remain as such until selected and 'imported' where they then become 3F files.
  • 3F: These files are a result of either captures generated by tethered Hasselblad equipment or as a result of 3FR files being processed to completion within Phocus. 3F files do not have to be 'imported' and can be adjusted and exported immediately. Exported 3F files include integrated metadata.

From page 11 of the current Phocus user guide:
QuoteTo sum up, capture files can be stored as 3FR files (from a CF card) for later processing in Phocus or other software, or they can be stored as 3F files (as a result of tethered shooting or 3FR files processed and converted in Phocus). In all cases if you keep the original 3FR/3F files, you will also retain the possibility of reprocessing them in the future in later versions of Phocus or other software to take advantage of eventual improvements and developments.

For your convenience I've attached a webinar screen shot depicting the Phocus RAW image processing workflow.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to others' input.

Best,
Scott.

Juan Pascual Garrido

It's so frustrating not to have a Phocus with the options other software has after investing in such good and not cheap gear. How many years did with Phocus 3 version, with its bugs, limited layers, tiny curve...? 6 years? 8? more? It looks surrealistic.