Inconsistent JPG output from Phocus and in-camera

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameloblast

I've been doing some tests with JPGs comparing in camera vs Phocus Mobile 2 and got some interesting results. Hoping to hear some thoughts from the community.

I compared
1. In-camera JPGs
2. Import to Phocus mobile 2 on iPad, export DIRECTLY from album tab
3. Import to Phocus mobile 2 on iPad, export AFTER opening file, and waiting for lens correction effect to happen, then export without making any changes

These are my findings:

1. In camera JPGs do not apply crop or lens corrections
E.g. even if you apply X-pan crop when shooting, the in-camera JPG are uncropped

2. There are 2 types of JPGs output from Phocus
You know when you open the file in Phocus and it takes 1 second before the preview shows the lens corrections? When you see the vignette lighten and distortion correct.

I was trying to determine if exporting the file before this happens (I.e. directly from the album tab without opening the file) makes a difference

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE
I notice that the file sizes are different
The ones that I've opened before exporting are larger by 2mb
But despite having different file size, the final photo still looks like lens correction was done, weird
So I'm not sure where the difference is, surely the smaller file size has less data in it.

And the JPG direct from camera is more than 10MB larger than the exported ones from Phocus 2

Thoughts?

tenmangu81

All what you describe is normal and well known. You are dealing with different processings !!
Robert

boojum

Quote from: Ameloblast on November 22, 2023, 10:51:18 AM
I've been doing some tests with JPGs comparing in camera vs Phocus Mobile 2 and got some interesting results. Hoping to hear some thoughts from the community.

I compared
1. In-camera JPGs
2. Import to Phocus mobile 2 on iPad, export DIRECTLY from album tab
3. Import to Phocus mobile 2 on iPad, export AFTER opening file, and waiting for lens correction effect to happen, then export without making any changes

These are my findings:

1. In camera JPGs do not apply crop or lens corrections
E.g. even if you apply X-pan crop when shooting, the in-camera JPG are uncropped

2. There are 2 types of JPGs output from Phocus
You know when you open the file in Phocus and it takes 1 second before the preview shows the lens corrections? When you see the vignette lighten and distortion correct.

I was trying to determine if exporting the file before this happens (I.e. directly from the album tab without opening the file) makes a difference

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE
I notice that the file sizes are different
The ones that I've opened before exporting are larger by 2mb
But despite having different file size, the final photo still looks like lens correction was done, weird
So I'm not sure where the difference is, surely the smaller file size has less data in it.

And the JPG direct from camera is more than 10MB larger than the exported ones from Phocus 2

Thoughts?

Unless I misunderstand you, you said that an in-camera XPan JPG is not cropped as such.  It is in my camera.  I just tried it.  What have I gotten wrong?
Elpis

Ameloblast

When you view it in camera it's cropped. But when you look at the JPG file on your computer from your memory card. It's not cropped.

Ameloblast

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 22, 2023, 10:42:08 PM
All what you describe is normal and well known. You are dealing with different processings !!

What I'm most surprised is exporting the file from Phocus before and after I open it. Despite not making any tweaks gives different output sizes.

tenmangu81

JPEG compression differs from one process to an other. So, I am not surprised you get different results using different paths. But, frankly speaking, I don't use any iPad, and I use Phocus Mobile 2 only for driving my camera and shooting.
Robert