Hot pixels on X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

vitdev

I've just received X2D this week and I see a lot of hot pixels in live view (when using magnification). They seem to be removed on the result photos even when previewing on camera, but there's a weird behavior when you take a 100% look — while the image is loaded it shows hot pixel, and once the full resolution photo is loaded hot pixels are gone. Phocus removed hot pixels when previewing or exporting to tiff. 3FR files exported from Phocus still have hot pixels.

I did calibration that supposed to map hot pixels as far as I understand (Menu > General > Service > Scroll Bottom > Sensor Calibration (XCD lens must be attached)), but did not notice any difference. There are like 50 of hot pixels across the sensor (it's not high ISO noise) when seeing in live view, and less when looking at unprocessed 3FR images.
It seems like they are not affecting final images when exported using Phocus, but they are very distracting when focusing or using magnified view.

I contacted Hasselblad support to see if that's normal. My 8 years old Nikon DSLR with 24Mp sensor has only two hot pixels across the image on long exposures (when all processing and automatic hot pixel removal is turned off), so I'm kinda surprised to see that many on X2D.

PS I've uploaded a video of how it looks when previewing existing photos on camera https://drive.google.com/file/d/13YYCxG5XxBApxtAF6N2P2pth6ikzDtPk/view?usp=drive_web
PPS Also attached 3FR and TIFF comparison (tiff processed with Phocus removed the hot pixel).

Hareb

With live view at 100% I found 60 hot pixels, especially red ones, but none can be seen in the photo (sensor) or on the rear monitor (X2D).

I asked the support and received a note about sensor calibration. I did the calibration. However, this is for the sensor and not for the viewfinder. Or did I miss something?

I still find the hot pixels in the viewfinder.

vitdev

If you try moving focus point in magnified viewfinder the dots (also mostly red or white dots for me) are moving with focus, so it's not EVF/LCD issue but CMOS sensor. I inspected unmodified 3FR files and noticed some hot pixels, much less though (about 2-5). Phocus removes all of them when viewing or exporting in JPEG/TIFF (exporting 3FR keeps all hot pixels).

MSuser

Quote from: vitdev on November 18, 2023, 02:28:24 PM
If you try moving focus point in magnified viewfinder the dots (also mostly red or white dots for me) are moving with focus, so it's not EVF/LCD issue but CMOS sensor. I inspected unmodified 3FR files and noticed some hot pixels, much less though (about 2-5). Phocus removes all of them when viewing or exporting in JPEG/TIFF (exporting 3FR keeps all hot pixels).

This YouTube video from the mathphotographer channel discusses the undocumented Sensor Calibration function in the Service Menu which may be helpful. The entire video is worth watching for an X2D 100C owner.

vitdev

Thank you! I've watched it and did the calibration several times. Calibration seems to map pixels, so they are removed in Phocus on import, but they still stay in Raw files (if you want to process them in Lightroom without first importing to Phocus) plus they are visible on camera screen while shooting which is a bit distracting.
Other manufacturers (Leica) map hot/dead pixels, so that they are never visible in any scenarios.

Hasselblad support got back to me saying that firmware update should remove them all or majority. Not sure if they meant 2.0.1 (which removes them in Phocus) or some future updates.

thesilentman

I just went through two new X2D bodies in a matter of two days (unboxed and tested in the store), both have around 10 hot pixels (red and white) which are clearly visible even without magnification.

Kind of weird to see this on a new camera, but I decided to keep the second one, which the dealer promptly provided as a replacement to the first one, and see if the hot pixels multiply uncontrollably or not.
I mean, what else can one do after unboxing two new cameras, go for a Fuji?