another tilt-shift question for X2d

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: grotte on October 27, 2023, 09:47:21 AM
Hi Andy, That HTS setup of yours looks rather precarious to me: putting too much load on the camera lens mount. Any concerns?
You can buy a tripod support that fits onto the HTS - Hasselblad tripod mount extension for HTS £145+VAT at the procentre" - but I did not and was content to support the system from the camera  -- the mount is wide/large diameter and strong. It is not like I am handing very heavy lenses on the front.
That said -- I bought the Hasselblad X1D tripod mounting ring (£115+VAT) collar support for the adapter/converter which I fitted a plate to and can now support the system from that and it works grand both when shooting with the HTS and with other set ups -- which is why I went for it.. [https://dji-retail.co.uk/products/hasselblad-tripod-mount-ring-75mm?variant=46099436929299&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwnOipBhBQEiwACyGLunuYqA_9XFEJLWRq__Ph1d6xq8QVa9rb779X9zdTmALClDWH8VaOthoC1_gQAvD_BwE]

ashdown

Hi Andy, That HTS setup of yours looks rather precarious to me: putting too much load on the camera lens mount. Any concerns?

I balance and support mine with a LEOFOTO VR-150S 195mm which supports under the lens adapter and allow the whole rig to mount further back more centrally over the tripod.

AF does seem to work (with lenses made after 2013 and updated firmware) but I wouldn't depend on it. Focus peaking should work but I've never tried it, preferring to magnified live view to confirm accuracy. You do have to press the button for this as it can't be linked to the focus ring on H mount lenses.

One thing to note is that the HTS is currently the only TS option for Hasselblad that allows flash use.

I really don't see any point in trying to use TS handheld. You can't make fine adjustments with a moving target.

wayne1

Thanks for all the input
I pulled the trigger and ordered what appears to be a mint condition HTS 1.5 (from Japan) and an orange dot HCD 28 mm. The tripod collar from the 135mm xcd extender that I already have works fine on the X/H adapter.

wayne1

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on October 27, 2023, 11:48:00 AM
You can buy a tripod support that fits onto the HTS - Hasselblad tripod mount extension for HTS £145+VAT at the procentre" - but I did not and was content to support the system from the camera  -- the mount is wide/large diameter and strong. It is not like I am handing very heavy lenses on the front.
That said -- I bought the Hasselblad X1D tripod mounting ring (£115+VAT) collar support for the adapter/converter which I fitted a plate to and can now support the system from that and it works grand both when shooting with the HTS and with other set ups -- which is why I went for it.. [https://dji-retail.co.uk/products/hasselblad-tripod-mount-ring-75mm?variant=46099436929299&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwnOipBhBQEiwACyGLunuYqA_9XFEJLWRq__Ph1d6xq8QVa9rb779X9zdTmALClDWH8VaOthoC1_gQAvD_BwE]

Andy, I have seen other posts that claim that the Hasselblad tripod ring interfers with the tilt movement of the HTS and must be modified. Is this true for you?

Wayne

Andy Miller Photo UK

Folk are obviously putting the collar on the Wrong way round

One can obviously support the camera/hts/lens on an L-bracket or use the ring collar. BUT it needs to be placed facing backwards and yes there is less space for fingers on the grip when used this way round- which is fine because the camera is on a tripod. If the collar is used with the foot facing forwards then both rotation of the HTS and the amount of downwards shift is severely limited (to only down 7mm rather than 15mm full range).

See HTS sheet https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/HTS_1_5_Tilt_&_Shift_Adapter_Datasheet/HTS_1,5_Tilt&Shift_Adapter_Datasheet/HTS_Adapter_EN_v9.pdf

https://flic.kr/p/2pdnugR

https://flic.kr/p/2nUjrKv

wayne1

Ah yes. Thank you! The HTS 1.5 and HCD 28mm orange dot arrived yesterday and the 0.8 converter is due today!!

Wayne

ashdown

I found on my X1Dii that the thumbscrew for the tripod collar was scraping the grip with this setup. Andy, it looks like you may have the camera a couple of degrees at an angle to compensate for this and then correcting this in the tripod head?

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: ashdown on November 03, 2023, 11:30:35 AM
I found on my X1Dii that the thumbscrew for the tripod collar was scraping the grip with this setup. Andy, it looks like you may have the camera a couple of degrees at an angle to compensate for this and then correcting this in the tripod head?
Not remotely - not clash or issues.

ashdown

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on November 03, 2023, 11:10:35 PM
Not remotely - not clash or issues.
Interesting, there must be some variation in the products.

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on October 27, 2023, 11:48:00 AM
You can buy a tripod support that fits onto the HTS - Hasselblad tripod mount extension for HTS £145+VAT at the procentre"

This isn't quite correct, the tripod mount extension doesn't fit onto the HTS, it is intended to fit onto the base of the camera so that the HTS doesn't clash with a tripod/stand. Less of a problem when using an adapter.

Usm

Hi.
what is the maximal shift with the HCD 28mm and HCD 24mm used with the one of the x-cameras?
How to correct distortion without recorded shift amount? Or do they have as low distortion as my Schneider 35mm XL?
Is there a strong color cast?
Would be great to view some examples!
Thanxs!

grotte

I see 28 or 24 or 21 mm lenses often discussed with TS, and wonder why? Ain't the depth of field these wide lenses is huge already? My only TS lens was 90mm Schneider PC-TS Macro-Symmar 4.5/90 HM (Nikon F) that failed to adopt to X1D because of the narrow Nikon flange. Otherwise it was an excellent lens for both the perspective correction and DOF. If I went the HB TS route, I'd probably got the HTS 1.5 and the HC80, but this combo is never mentioned. Too dull perhaps?

JCM-Photos

Two of my 4 Mamyia "special lenses" on my X cameras.

Among them the 50mm shift lens that has no problem for big shifting within a decent size and weight
Sharpen your eyes not your files

ashdown

Quote from: grotte on November 04, 2023, 11:50:17 AM
I see 28 or 24 or 21 mm lenses often discussed with TS, and wonder why? Ain't the depth of field these wide lenses is huge already? My only TS lens was 90mm Schneider PC-TS Macro-Symmar 4.5/90 HM (Nikon F) that failed to adopt to X1D because of the narrow Nikon flange. Otherwise it was an excellent lens for both the perspective correction and DOF. If I went the HB TS route, I'd probably got the HTS 1.5 and the HC80, but this combo is never mentioned. Too dull perhaps?

I imagine people will use the wide lenses for architecture and landscapes to straighten perspective. I mostly use it with the HC 50mm ii which gives a 75mm field of view after the HTS 1.5x conversion and stunning image quality. The 80mm converts to 120mm so suited for smaller still life etc. However they can all be used with the 0.8 converter for further confusion!

Simon Bran

QuoteI'd probably got the HTS 1.5 and the HC80, but this combo is never mentioned. Too dull perhaps?

Thats the combination I use the most in the studio for product shots. It might be a dull combination, but it's very usefull for simple product shots and saves a lot of time compaired to geting the view camera out, especialy when the client has a 'restricted ' budget  :-)

wayne1

Quote from: ashdown on November 03, 2023, 11:30:35 AM

The thumbscrew on mine is close to the grip on the X1dii, but not touching.