Moving from Leica Q3 and had some questions

Previous topic - Next topic

MGrayson

Quote from: Pablo14 on October 23, 2023, 02:10:23 AM

I am not into landscape or street photography, but playing with the X2D and 38mm v lens, I found similar issue with bright sky in the background. If I meter for the highlights without blowing the shadows, I fail to get the colour and IQ feel I saw in the dark areas when pushing the shadows in post (Phocus) as when I meter on the subject which delivers better rendering on the subject / shadow area but with highlights possibly blown.

Are you applying the lens profile corrections? With the XCD 28P, shadow colors are muddier if I just try to lift them than if I apply the profile first, which evens out exposure across the frame.

Pablo14

Pablo14

Quote from: MGrayson on October 23, 2023, 09:58:30 PM
Quote from: Pablo14 on October 23, 2023, 02:10:23 AM

I am not into landscape or street photography, but playing with the X2D and 38mm v lens, I found similar issue with bright sky in the background. If I meter for the highlights without blowing the shadows, I fail to get the colour and IQ feel I saw in the dark areas when pushing the shadows in post (Phocus) as when I meter on the subject which delivers better rendering on the subject / shadow area but with highlights possibly blown.

Are you applying the lens profile corrections? With the XCD 28P, shadow colors are muddier if I just try to lift them than if I apply the profile first, which evens out exposure across the frame.

Thank you - I will double check just in case as normally I would have the lens profile correction on. But yes that was exactly what I felt, shadow colours muddier. Much appreciated.

dancook

Hanging out with some friends in the pub, I took a photo with my X2D and a friend's Q3 - the Q3 instantly got focus, the same shot using X2D (With a V lens) hunted for a while and I had to move the AF point around a few times trying to get it to lock.

All in all, trying to capture 'the moment' can sometimes be frustrating..

I love the Q cameras, but I sold my Q3 because I wasn't using it enough to justify it's cost, I did get the Ricoh GR III which I use just a little - but it won't devalue at the same rate.. oh and also bought the 55V to go with the 38V - I have the XCD80 too

flash

Quote from: dancook on November 03, 2023, 08:38:27 AM
Hanging out with some friends in the pub, I took a photo with my X2D and a friend's Q3 - the Q3 instantly got focus, the same shot using X2D (With a V lens) hunted for a while and I had to move the AF point around a few times trying to get it to lock.

All in all, trying to capture 'the moment' can sometimes be frustrating..

I love the Q cameras, but I sold my Q3 because I wasn't using it enough to justify it's cost, I did get the Ricoh GR III which I use just a little - but it won't devalue at the same rate.. oh and also bought the 55V to go with the 38V - I have the XCD80 too

True. The Q3 does have decent low light AF.

Have you tried the clutch manual focus when the AF hunts? I've found it pretty intuitive to use (I do have some experience with the same thing from Olympus though).

Gordon

Ralf

I find the q2/q3 to be very interesting cameras, but I really miss an AF start button on the back that also starts the AF if the AF function is deactivated at the first pressure point of the shutter release, as is the case with the Hasselblad x,  Nikon, Fuji,... is possible.

dancook

Quote from: flash on November 03, 2023, 09:23:16 AM

True. The Q3 does have decent low light AF.

Have you tried the clutch manual focus when the AF hunts? I've found it pretty intuitive to use (I do have some experience with the same thing from Olympus though).

Gordon

I use it for some zone focussed street photography, and I do use it when I frequently can't get focus - but usually after I've already spent 20 seconds each time trying to AF lock.

Although the use of the word clutch makes me think of motorsport and the idea that you might jump to manual focus within a split moment of it hunting :) I'm not that quick about it..

etn

Quote from: daned on October 18, 2023, 04:14:39 AM
Since its missing geotagging or gps does that retract in any way as a good option for traveling and logging pictures.
Certainly a very personal thing, but to me it does not. Would I use the feature if it were available? possibly. Do I miss it? no.