Moving from Leica Q3 and had some questions

Previous topic - Next topic

flash

Quote from: Whitten on October 18, 2023, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: flash on October 18, 2023, 10:29:55 AM
If you have a Q2 or an X1DII you really don't know what the new cameras are like. Chalk and cheese.....

Gordon

Sure, I commented mostly on the ergonomics, bulk etc.
Even the original Q was a wonderful camera IMO, but like you I disliked shooting 28mm. I have found the X1DII to be surprisingly light and easy to handle.

The extra weight of the X2D is noticable for those thinking about an upgrade. The extra size dissapears but not the weight. I still wouldn't go back but when I pick up my X1D bodies I really notice how light and small they are.

Gordon

MattPZ

Quote from: flash on October 18, 2023, 10:29:55 AM
I will disagree with some of the above.

Absolutely the X2D can replace the Q3. (I have both plus a Q2 and Q2M). K loves the Q3. Adores it. It's her everything camera and she shoots maybe 80% of her photography on it. I just picked up a Q2M to try out (used) and she immediately claimed it. I'll probably never see it again. :) But for me, I can't live with a 28 as my main lens. I shot for over a year with the Q2 but it was never my main camera.

For me, slinging an X2D over the shoulder with a 28, 38 or 55 for a day is trivial. Yep, it's bigger than the Q but neither is going in a pants pocket so I see no real world difference. The X2D is my daily carry, usually with the 55. But you could easily carry the camera and a 38 all day with no issues. Or go even lighter with the tiny 28 and get the same pixel pitch and crop to a 60MP file!!!

As far as performance, I see the X2D as a Q2 with more resolution, DR and a flip up screen. The Q3 AF is significantly improved, while we don't have any face/eye detect on the blad. AF speed with a V lens feels very similar to the Q2, to me but can get MUCH slower with some of the older lenses. The X system can also get much bigger and heavier with some lenses. But at least you can have different lenses. The Q3 is much faster although in operation they're pretty close. Both are nice and snappy with the buttons etc.

We're off to India and Vietnam in a month and K is taking her Q3 and Q2M (plus a small m43 kit) while I'll have 2 x X2D's and a few lenses based around the 55V. She'll have an advantage in AF with the Q3 but not really on the Q2 while I'll have more resolution and DR which means way more robust files to play with. She'll crop while I'll have three lenses (28, 55, 90) in a small waist bag. I don't think either of us will be weighed down by gear.

I can actually shoot slower on the X2D than the Q2. Thanks HB IBIS! and the camera sits in my hand better. K got a grip for her Q3 so it's getting pretty close to my X bodies. I love the X2D EVF and huge memory. The crop modes are used a lot on my cameras. I like the flip up screen but it could be better (EVF blockage).

I get everyone has their preferences. Even in our house we choose different solutions. But for my money the X2D is a full replacement to the Q3. And finally, they're both significant upgrades over their predecessors. If you have a Q2 or an X1DII you really don't know what the new cameras are like. Chalk and cheese.....

Gordon

Just out of interest, do you notice much real world difference in the image quality between the Q3 and the X2D, or is it more about format and user experience?  Is the X2D really obviously better (as we all tell ourselves it should be)

I have the X2D, but have the chance to buy a new Q3 today, so am curious how you find them.  I have had the Q and Q2 previously.

flash

The more you push a file the more obvious it becomes. I can see the difference. I could with the X1D as well. The files are far more robust. Noise is a stop better (approx). You have some more pixels if you need them.

However, most of the time the Q3 is more than good enough. It's probably the best small format sensor available, so if you like 28mm it's worth it. I've made very big prints off much lesser cameras and lenses and been happy to sell them. The Q3 is an incredibly capable machine.

The sensor in the X2D and Q3 are based on the same silicon and pixel pitch. You can shoot a shot in 14 bit and crop to 24x36 if you want to try and see a difference. Most of the time you won't. Some of the time you will.

If you like a t 28mm (actually 26-27) then the Q3 is a no brainer.

Gordon

daned

I got my X2D today and here are my thoughts and comparison to the Q3.
I definitely find it heavy and a little hard on the wrist after a while after just using it for an hour. The camera looks great and the feel is amazing but opposite the battery side near the charging port start feeling it getting warm soon.
Quality is there and you can see the difference but struggling with the focus points as it only has one, it is fast I feel almost as fast in focussing s the Q3 but also struggling with the metering as only options are spot and center.
Many bugs I have already noticed as it sometimes devices to auto focus and sometimes stalls even though have the latest firmware.
My biggest issue not sure if Im doing something wrong but most of the pictures has taken they are coming out dark in auto mode and in P more, exposure compensation is 0, on th screen they look fine but when import in to photos app on ym Mac they are dark and I almost have to touch all of them it seems, again might be a user error if someone can provide some feedback.
GPS I was used to and to add using iPhone apps is a pain.
Love the camera but just does not seem the right one of me as the Q# was just take and it out forget about ti and shoot so might be returning this and sticking with the Q3.

If anyone can provide some feedback as to dark images if I am doing something wrong as still want to give it a go and like the camera but something is just not working out for me.

flash

Quote from: daned on October 21, 2023, 12:17:44 PM
I got my X2D today and here are my thoughts and comparison to the Q3.
I definitely find it heavy and a little hard on the wrist after a while after just using it for an hour. The camera looks great and the feel is amazing but opposite the battery side near the charging port start feeling it getting warm soon.
Quality is there and you can see the difference but struggling with the focus points as it only has one, it is fast I feel almost as fast in focussing s the Q3 but also struggling with the metering as only options are spot and center.
Many bugs I have already noticed as it sometimes devices to auto focus and sometimes stalls even though have the latest firmware.
My biggest issue not sure if Im doing something wrong but most of the pictures has taken they are coming out dark in auto mode and in P more, exposure compensation is 0, on th screen they look fine but when import in to photos app on ym Mac they are dark and I almost have to touch all of them it seems, again might be a user error if someone can provide some feedback.
GPS I was used to and to add using iPhone apps is a pain.
Love the camera but just does not seem the right one of me as the Q# was just take and it out forget about ti and shoot so might be returning this and sticking with the Q3.

If anyone can provide some feedback as to dark images if I am doing something wrong as still want to give it a go and like the camera but something is just not working out for me.

1. The camera is supposed to get warm. HB uses the body as a heat sync. Normal behaviour.
2. Dark frames. Have you got the exposure simulation turned on for manual mode? There's also a small live histogram available. Lastly you can just pull and dark exposures back in post. Grab the exposure slider and go for it. Benefits of an nearly ISO invariant sensor (linear noise response versus ISO). I've done 5 stop pulls on the X1D. Also you need eaithr Phocus or Lightroom on your Mac. Photos is useless for a camera like this as it uses a Mac based raw algorithm not one made in collaboration with HB. Basically it's just extracting the preview from the raw file and not the full raw data. Phocus is free.
3. Set up the touch pad to move the AF point around while using the EVF.
4.Nothing wrong with a Q3 if it's the right camera for you.

Gordon

Whitten

I always spot meter for the subject of the image, hold and recompose. Haven't had a badly exposed image yet.
I definitely check the histogram before pressing the shutter.

MarkN

In the era of travelling with only carry on luggage, bringing the X2D with 1-2 lenses is not always practical - leaving me with the iPhone for family snaps.  Maybe the Q3 would be a nice alternative as a compact travel camera?  I don't mean to suggest that a Leica is an alternative to an iPhone, but that it could serve well as a compact high quality travel camera with a similar focal length to the ubiquitous iPhone.

tenmangu81

@MarkN
I would suggest you buying a Ricoh GR III rather than a Leica Q3. The Leica Q3 is an excellent camera, but the Ricoh fits into a pocket. And is remarkable as far as the image quality is concerned. For family snaps (and more !). and travelling light, it's a very good choice, IMHO.
Robert

MarkN

Thx - I am not very familiar with these compact cameras but they are much more affordable than a Q3.  The Ricoh is much more compact than the Q3, as is the Fujifilm X100 series.  These are certainly alternatives to an iPhone for casual snaps or for travelling when you can't bring a MF camera...

daned

Here is an example for reference the shot from X2D in auto just comes out way darker even thought a lot of detail compared to the Q3 same on auto is closer to the actual light conditions. Probably a user error as interior pictures turn out fine no issues but any picture with the sun on the back or as a sport on the object shows up like this.
Lens used is the new 28mm F4.

MGrayson

Quote from: daned on October 22, 2023, 10:59:02 AM
Here is an example for reference the shot from X2D in auto just comes out way darker even thought a lot of detail compared to the Q3 same on auto is closer to the actual light conditions. Probably a user error as interior pictures turn out fine no issues but any picture with the sun on the back or as a sport on the object shows up like this.
Lens used is the new 28mm F4.

That X2D image, if imported RAW and given the lens correction, would be much lighter, especially at the edges and corners. But I've noticed that the X2D tends to expose in order to preserve highlights. I have an original Q that I could compare to, but not anything more recent.

tenmangu81

Most often, I have to open a bit more than measured by my X1D II (e.g. + 1 EV), especially when the background is bright and foreground dark. I do remember that there is more information in the highlights than in the shadows, which deserve then to be enlightened a bit, and that the camera has a DR which allows to recover highlights very easily, axcept when they are burnt, of course !
Robert

Pablo14

Thanks everyone for the thread and feedback.

I am a recent X2D / Hasselblad convert, after years with Leica. I use both systems as they complete each other so well for me.

I am not into landscape or street photography, but playing with the X2D and 38mm v lens, I found similar issue with bright sky in the background. If I meter for the highlights without blowing the shadows, I fail to get the colour and IQ feel I saw in the dark areas when pushing the shadows in post (Phocus) as when I meter on the subject which delivers better rendering on the subject / shadow area but with highlights possibly blown.

I usually meter with spot, but on this type of scene with bright sky as background, I guess I better use centre weighted metering on the subject and avoid shadow areas getting too dark?

Is it that with full frame, you protect the highlights generally and with medium format, you have to be more conscious of the shadows ?

Or am I doing something wrong on this type of photo?

Thanks

SrMi

I expose so that I maximize the exposure without clipping the relevant highlight. This occurs using experience, default matrix metering and histograms in review.

flash

Quote from: Pablo14 on October 23, 2023, 02:10:23 AM

Is it that with full frame, you protect the highlights generally and with medium format, you have to be more conscious of the shadows ?

Thanks

No. The shadows have gobs of headroom for pushing and pulling. Protect the highlights you want to protect and push the shadows in post as hard as you want. The file can handle it.

I suggest you make some adjustments to the EVF brightness and use the live histogram.

Gordon