Moving from Leica Q3 and had some questions

Previous topic - Next topic

daned

Hi all, new to the forum here and new to Hasselblad and looking to buy a new X2D, at present have a Leica Q3 and if anyone can provide any insight.
The Q3 is an amazing camera and mostly shoot landscape and portrait mainly family, and travel. Is the X2D image quality greatly superior to the Q3, any advantages or feedbacks?

FoleyAMG

Quote from: daned on October 17, 2023, 10:44:34 AM
Hi all, new to the forum here and new to Hasselblad and looking to buy a new X2D, at present have a Leica Q3 and if anyone can provide any insight.
The Q3 is an amazing camera and mostly shoot landscape and portrait mainly family, and travel. Is the X2D image quality greatly superior to the Q3, any advantages or feedbacks?

Evening...
So I have the X2D and 907x with several XCD lenses.  I also owned the Q2M and Q2 with a Q3 on order with Leica Store in Miami and BH Photo...

Anyways, IMO....these are two totally different cameras and not really a good comparison...

My image quality was fantastic with my Q2 and Q2M...absolutely loved the images...sold both in order to pick up a Q3...but the X2D is in a totally different league...almost no comparison...starts with the lens options, the leaf shutter, resolution, etc...

I just do not think you can compare them...

I also shoot a pair of Nikon Z9s....(and moved from Sony A1s to Nikon in Jan 2023)...just to give you a perspective I what I shoot...

The X2D is probably my favorite camera I have ever shot...it is just incredible...the image quality will blow you away.  Now, it is not a Nikon Z9/Sony A1...not even close but if you have some patience and want to get back to thinking through your shots or better yet, slow the process down....the X2D is perfect...

Anyways, hope this helps...

Scott

Whitten

Agree with the above.
I can only add based on a tangent. I owned an original Q and now own an X1DII.
The image quality from the Q was fantastic. It was probably the most fun, rewarding camera I've ever owned (I've had a few other Leicas etc). The only thing was I didn't really want to shoot at 28mm all the time.
The X1DII is absolutely lovely. It is surprisingly small and light with the 45p lens attached. The image quality is stunning.
I can only imagine the Q3 and X2D images would be as good as you can get. The Q3 is a go anywhere, anytime camera. The X2D would be bigger and bulkier even with the 45p lens. With any other XCD lens I wonder if you would be put off carrying it around for a day etc...

MGrayson

Pretty sure the Q series are also leaf shutter. That Q lens, BTW, is a miracle. WA, f/1.7, and macro. I still have the original Q. The resolution starts to suffer at 30"x40" prints, but for anything smaller, it's great.

That being said, I'd rather carry the X2D and 21mm or 28mm, but we're all a bit crazy in this forum.  8)

acg69

I came to the X2D from the Q2, which I liked a lot, and I can easily say that there is no comparison; it would be unfair anyway. The Q series cameras are an easy all day carry around with a great lens (if 28mm is your thing) and a big sensor. IQ is great but it cannot match recent MF sensors. The X2D is a beast compared to the Q series and if you are lucky like me in terms of what you like to shoot with (45P all the way!), the whole package is neither too heavy, nor too big.

tenmangu81

The Leica Q series and the Blad X1D or X2D are not for the same use. If you want to shoot children or people in the street, the Q is great. The Blad X (and their lenses) are for landscapes, portraits, studio, architecture,.... So, you need both if you want to cover the whole spectrum !!
Otherwise, I would say that I've never had as beautiful colours and rendering as the ones I get with my Blad (X1D II).
Robert

daned

Thanks all, that are great responses and helpful in making my decision, is the size weight really significant difference from the Q? as do not have a local Dealor here and no where to check the camera out. I understand the autofocus is not as quick and snappy but expected as the the purpose of the camera.

acg69

Size and weight of the X2D can vary widely depending on the lens used. I use the 45P (35mm FOV in FF terms) which is both small and light. Having said that, the 135 (esp. with the 1.7x t/c) is a beast. The new V lenses are modest in size, so your mileage may vary depending on your specific needs and requirements. If the 28mm lens of the Q was your thing and you can do with the slightly longer 45P, it is one hell of a lens and keeps your package small. ish:)

daned

Since its missing geotagging or gps does that retract in any way as a good option for traveling and logging pictures.

JCM-Photos

I own a X1D and 907X with a lot of XCD lenses as well as Zeiss V lenses for the 503CX and CFVII 50C
that all make a fantastic job.
I also own an original Leica Q for many years.
The Leica Q and Hassy X systems are so different that one cannot replace the other, I have to use both depending on the type of photographs planned.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SMurphy

Quote from: daned on October 18, 2023, 02:57:46 AM
Thanks all, that are great responses and helpful in making my decision, is the size weight really significant difference from the Q?

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two: https://cameradecision.com/compare/Leica-Q3-vs-Hasselblad-X2D-100c#:~:text=Leica%20Q3%20has%20external%20dimensions,oz)%20(including%20batteries).

In terms of specs:

• Leica Q3: 130 x 80 x 93 mm (5.12 x 3.16 x 3.65″) and 743 g (1.64 lb / 26.21 oz) (including batteries).
  • Hasselblad X2D: 149 x 106 x 75 mm (5.85 x 4.17 x 2.93″) and 895 g (1.97 lb / 31.57 oz) (including batteries but NOT including a lens).

I have an original Q as well as the X2D - even with the 45P, I find the Hasselblad noticeably larger and heavier than the Leica.  Even so, I find myself using the X2D almost exclusively.

Hope this helps,
Scott.

FoleyAMG

Example, I can not get this shot with a Q camera...

Hasselblad X2D with the 38v

Ok, well...I would have to get closer 8)

The Q camera is fantastic, no doubt (why I have ordered the Q3)...you can not beat them for that walk around camera...

But the medium format, X2D is on a different level...

flash

I will disagree with some of the above.

Absolutely the X2D can replace the Q3. (I have both plus a Q2 and Q2M). K loves the Q3. Adores it. It's her everything camera and she shoots maybe 80% of her photography on it. I just picked up a Q2M to try out (used) and she immediately claimed it. I'll probably never see it again. :) But for me, I can't live with a 28 as my main lens. I shot for over a year with the Q2 but it was never my main camera.

For me, slinging an X2D over the shoulder with a 28, 38 or 55 for a day is trivial. Yep, it's bigger than the Q but neither is going in a pants pocket so I see no real world difference. The X2D is my daily carry, usually with the 55. But you could easily carry the camera and a 38 all day with no issues. Or go even lighter with the tiny 28 and get the same pixel pitch and crop to a 60MP file!!!

As far as performance, I see the X2D as a Q2 with more resolution, DR and a flip up screen. The Q3 AF is significantly improved, while we don't have any face/eye detect on the blad. AF speed with a V lens feels very similar to the Q2, to me but can get MUCH slower with some of the older lenses. The X system can also get much bigger and heavier with some lenses. But at least you can have different lenses. The Q3 is much faster although in operation they're pretty close. Both are nice and snappy with the buttons etc.

We're off to India and Vietnam in a month and K is taking her Q3 and Q2M (plus a small m43 kit) while I'll have 2 x X2D's and a few lenses based around the 55V. She'll have an advantage in AF with the Q3 but not really on the Q2 while I'll have more resolution and DR which means way more robust files to play with. She'll crop while I'll have three lenses (28, 55, 90) in a small waist bag. I don't think either of us will be weighed down by gear.

I can actually shoot slower on the X2D than the Q2. Thanks HB IBIS! and the camera sits in my hand better. K got a grip for her Q3 so it's getting pretty close to my X bodies. I love the X2D EVF and huge memory. The crop modes are used a lot on my cameras. I like the flip up screen but it could be better (EVF blockage).

I get everyone has their preferences. Even in our house we choose different solutions. But for my money the X2D is a full replacement to the Q3. And finally, they're both significant upgrades over their predecessors. If you have a Q2 or an X1DII you really don't know what the new cameras are like. Chalk and cheese.....

Gordon

FoleyAMG

Whitten

Quote from: flash on October 18, 2023, 10:29:55 AM
If you have a Q2 or an X1DII you really don't know what the new cameras are like. Chalk and cheese.....

Gordon

Sure, I commented mostly on the ergonomics, bulk etc.
Even the original Q was a wonderful camera IMO, but like you I disliked shooting 28mm. I have found the X1DII to be surprisingly light and easy to handle.