Matt Granger: Fujifilm GFX100 II vs Hasselblad X2D 100C

Previous topic - Next topic

SrMi

Be warned, Matt Granger is a YouTube reviewer with all the negative connotations that go with that.
It has raised huge anger among a few Fuji owners on DPR, which I do not understand as the GFX100 ii is not being dinged that much (except that Matt has a malfunctioning GFX100 II that kept locking up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSI6HY4Cnpk

The review is apparently hidden. I do not know how it appeared in my video stream. Maybe Matt is trying to repeat the tests with a properly working GFX 100 II.

MattPZ

I used to like his content, but it has gone downhill the more it has become about clicks.  The killer for me was the X2D vs GFX100s video where he compared colours throughout the video with the GFX using the eterna film sim.  It was pointed out to him over and over in the comments, but he never pulled the video or made any apology or explanation, at least that I saw.  It really skewed the results in a huge way that will have misled a number of people (me included on first watch).

SrMi

Valid points regarding Matt Granger.
I would like to hear from Gordon, who has both cameras, whether indeed the X2D IBIS is better and whether GFX 100ii feels plasticy.

MattPZ

I just watched the video, it seemed a pretty fair (if brief) assessment of each.  I am surprised about the IBIS on the GFX though - I wonder if that will be replicated elsewhere, I suspect not.

vidio

The IBIS problem has been duplicated by Lloyd Chambers on his pay site, along with various other owners confirming on that site as well. His articles are behind a paywall but basically he says that the IBIS on the GFX100 II is actually worse than on the previous models.

SrMi

Quote from: vidio on October 16, 2023, 10:20:09 AM
The IBIS problem has been duplicated by Lloyd Chambers on his pay site, along with various other owners confirming on that site as well. His articles are behind a paywall but basically he says that the IBIS on the GFX100 II is actually worse than on the previous models.
Lloyd's issue is caused by a combination of ES + IBIS. I doubt that Matt uses ES with GFX 100 II. Nobody should be using ES with GFX cameras.

flash

Quote from: SrMi on October 16, 2023, 06:49:52 AM
I would like to hear from Gordon, who has both cameras, whether indeed the X2D IBIS is better and whether GFX 100ii feels plasticy.

Yes and No. :)

I've watched the video. But I do struggle watching photography that poor.....

I can only speak to my cameras. I have a GFX100S, 100II and two X2D's.

When he says they're not really comparable, I agree with him. For the Leica shooters out there it's like having an SL and M system. Both good but approaching from a different angle. I use the Fuji with the zooms mainly and the x2D with the smaller primes.

IBIS is better on the X2D. But on my cameras the 100II has improved a bit on the 100S. I have never owned the original 100. I did a small shoot yesterday with the 20-35 and 45-100. With both I shot handheld down to about a 30th with no issues. I could likely get another stop or so from the 'blad but the Fuji is actually decent. I don't use ES. The Fuji has EFCS enabled.

Yes the GFX100II is plasticky. Like a Canon R3 is plasticky!! The X2D is an ergonomic masterpiece. I think most of us agree there. But to say the GFX100II feels cheap is BS. It's solid, dense and has a great grip, for my hands. I love the new grip texture and it's a BIG improvement on the 100S. Again, I've never owned an original 100.

The GFX100II AF crushes the X2D. Not so much in speed, with the XCDV lenses. But the eye AF just works, reliably. And most of the lenses are fast, unlike the XCD glass, which is all over the place. Also the GFX100II EVF is even better than the X2D!! The colours on the new Fuji are much improved, to me from the 100S. I still *slightly* prefer the X2D colours. I have my GFX set to display the new Reala film sim. I like it. But I liked Reala film as well.

Overall I think the 100II is a MAJOR upgrade to the GFX system. And so far I've had ZERO issues with my camera. Likely Granger just needed to use a different memory card or format his cards properly. I have a new Lexar 512GB CFE card in slot 1 and I'm not having any problems.

I have two upcoming trips where I think the difference can be explained. Next month I go to India and Vietnam. It's mostly with Leica shooters and mostly street and festival. I'm taking my X2D's and 5 lenses, although I'll probably head out each day with two bodies and two lenses. I expect to use zone focusing sometimes as well as AF on others. Size, IBIS and colour are paramount. We'll be out walking a lot each day. Probably 20K steps or more. If I carry any spares or gear it'll be in a hip pack as I don't want anything on my back. It's going to be warm. Gear will be in a Wandred hip pack. No tripod will be harmed on this trip...

In February I'm heading to Iceland. Mostly for landscapes and some travel/people etc on the side. I'm taking the GFX100II and 100S as a backup. I'll take three zooms, a TC and one fast prime (55 1.7). On this trip the zooms, tri flip screen and enormous EVF will be the deciding factors. And I'll be in a vehicle with the odd short hike (no more than 3km each way). The 100S will be buried in the bottom of a bag unless something goes wrong. I'll have everything packed in a Wandred 21 litre backpack which is big enough to carry some extra warm gear and filters etc.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Gordon

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: PatrickM on October 16, 2023, 05:53:09 AM
Granger is known for releasing videos that are factually incorrect because he's a click baiter. He gets paid for the number of clicks received...so he puts out videos as soon as he can. And very often makes profound mistakes. One of his recent ones was with a Nikon camera where he used the wrong settings, and as such, his results were meaningless.
Recommend: ignore anything to do with Mat Granger.

Patrick - you are being unfair. Matt Granger does what he can and while I do not agree with all he says, I have never found him biased.

UNLIKE two of the larger "channels" My Big Hair and the evil aging couple both of whom have to put the knife in always incorrectly just to appear balanced. Mt Big Hair appears to like the new Nikkor PF though and made a video with not one dig.

One concern was the GFX 100 ii froze repeatedly. I hope he can get his camera fixed soon and this is not an issue for what should be a great addition to the range.

flash

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on October 16, 2023, 08:02:15 PM

One concern was the GFX 100 ii froze repeatedly. I hope he can get his camera fixed soon and this is not an issue for what should be a great addition to the range.

My camera has not frozen once, yet. No issues at all so far. Had the camera since release day.

I still think he had memory card issues. Camera froze in playback.

Gordon

hcubell

Quote from: flash on October 16, 2023, 11:49:50 AM

When he says they're not really comparable, I agree with him. For the Leica shooters out there it's like having an SL and M system. Both good but approaching from a different angle. I use the Fuji with the zooms mainly and the x2D with the smaller primes.

IBIS is better on the X2D. But on my cameras the 100II has improved a bit on the 100S. I have never owned the original 100. I did a small shoot yesterday with the 20-35 and 45-100. With both I shot handheld down to about a 30th with no issues. I could likely get another stop or so from the 'blad but the Fuji is actually decent. I don't use ES. The Fuji has EFCS enabled.

Yes the GFX100II is plasticky. Like a Canon R3 is plasticky!! The X2D is an ergonomic masterpiece. I think most of us agree there. But to say the GFX100II feels cheap is BS. It's solid, dense and has a great grip, for my hands. I love the new grip texture and it's a BIG improvement on the 100S. Again, I've never owned an original 100.

The GFX100II AF crushes the X2D. Not so much in speed, with the XCDV lenses. But the eye AF just works, reliably. And most of the lenses are fast, unlike the XCD glass, which is all over the place. Also the GFX100II EVF is even better than the X2D!! The colours on the new Fuji are much improved, to me from the 100S. I still *slightly* prefer the X2D colours. I have my GFX set to display the new Reala film sim. I like it. But I liked Reala film as well.

Overall I think the 100II is a MAJOR upgrade to the GFX system. And so far I've had ZERO issues with my camera. Likely Granger just needed to use a different memory card or format his cards properly. I have a new Lexar 512GB CFE card in slot 1 and I'm not having any problems.

I have two upcoming trips where I think the difference can be explained. Next month I go to India and Vietnam. It's mostly with Leica shooters and mostly street and festival. I'm taking my X2D's and 5 lenses, although I'll probably head out each day with two bodies and two lenses. I expect to use zone focusing sometimes as well as AF on others. Size, IBIS and colour are paramount. We'll be out walking a lot each day. Probably 20K steps or more. If I carry any spares or gear it'll be in a hip pack as I don't want anything on my back. It's going to be warm. Gear will be in a Wandred hip pack. No tripod will be harmed on this trip...

In February I'm heading to Iceland. Mostly for landscapes and some travel/people etc on the side. I'm taking the GFX100II and 100S as a backup. I'll take three zooms, a TC and one fast prime (55 1.7). On this trip the zooms, tri flip screen and enormous EVF will be the deciding factors. And I'll be in a vehicle with the odd short hike (no more than 3km each way). The 100S will be buried in the bottom of a bag unless something goes wrong. I'll have everything packed in a Wandred 21 litre backpack which is big enough to carry some extra warm gear and filters etc.

Gordon

I don't know if you have the 35-75 XCD zoom, but it is a truly exceptional lens so you might want to consider bringing it with an X2D body rather than a second GFX body.I have been to the interior of Iceland 6 times over the past 7 years, and the range of the XCD zoom has been an ideal match for what I wanted to photograph there to the point that the zoom rarely came off my X1D or X2D body. Given the prevailing weather conditions in Iceland, changing lenses in the field should always to be avoided in my experience there. I travelled with the 30mm and the 135mm+TC and they rarely made an appearance.

flash

Quote from: hcubell on October 18, 2023, 01:39:47 AM

Gordon

I don't know if you have the 35-75 XCD zoom, but it is a truly exceptional lens so you might want to consider bringing it with an X2D body rather than a second GFX body.I have been to the interior of Iceland 6 times over the past 7 years, and the range of the XCD zoom has been an ideal match for what I wanted to photograph there to the point that the zoom rarely came off my X1D or X2D body. Given the prevailing weather conditions in Iceland, changing lenses in the field should always to be avoided in my experience there. I travelled with the 30mm and the 135mm+TC and they rarely made an appearance.

I have every XCD lens plus a few HC lenses and both adaptors as well. I agree the zoom is fab but there's only 1 (the HC zooms are genuinely huge) versus the three GFX zooms I'll have with me. I can always pull out the 100S if I think I need a second body to avoid lens swapping in the field. I thought about the weather and was ging to take an old film change bag to change lenses in if the weather was awful. Old landscape photographer trick.

I'll be taking the 20-35, 45-100 and 100-200/TC plus a 55 1.7. I've carried this kit on landscape trips before (with the 80 instead of the 55) and it's kind of ideal for me. I would need a minimum of a wide zoom to even consider taking the X2D's. And there's only a hundred grams between the X2D/35-75 and GFX100II and 45-100. The Fuji is bigger but the HB is more dense. If I added a full kit to cover the focal lengths I want the HB kit would be heavier and require more lens changes. If HB made me a couple more zooms as good as the 35-75 I'd take it. The X2D has some long exposure benefits over the Fiji that I would really appreciate.

OTOH the new GFX100II is a huge improvement on the 100S so I don't feel that I'll missing much with not taking the X2D and I gain in some areas. The screen flips both ways and isn't obscured by the viewfinder. It has a cable release socket!!  I might even get the VF tilt adaptor as the EVF is even better than the X2D. I can see a mono simulation in the EVF. I could go beserk and get the 30mm TS lens and do some panos but really big ones.. :) But I won't. I may stich though. I REALLY like the GFX100II and I'm privileged to be able to choose between two fantastic systems. The whole kit fits in the smallest Wandred backpack although I'm going a size up for extras like a jacket or gloves etc....

If I were to take an X2D it'd more likely be with the 28, 55 and 90 as a kit for walking around Oslo and Bergen after we leave Iceland. But I think I'll take my A7CR for that. Or sneak in a GFX50mm and use that and the wide zoom....

Honestly though. I can't lose, no matter which kit I take. Both are the top of the top shelf and I'll have no excuses no matter what......

Gordon

Orokaj

Quote from: flash on October 18, 2023, 11:09:59 AM
Quote from: hcubell on October 18, 2023, 01:39:47 AM

Gordon

I have every XCD lens plus a few HC lenses and both adaptors as well. I agree the zoom is fab but there's only 1 (the HC zooms are genuinely huge) versus the three GFX zooms I'll have with me. I can always pull out the 100S if I think I need a second body to avoid lens swapping in the field. I thought about the weather and was ging to take an old film change bag to change lenses in if the weather was awful. Old landscape photographer trick.

I'll be taking the 20-35, 45-100 and 100-200/TC plus a 55 1.7. I've carried this kit on landscape trips before (with the 80 instead of the 55) and it's kind of ideal for me. I would need a minimum of a wide zoom to even consider taking the X2D's. And there's only a hundred grams between the X2D/35-75 and GFX100II and 45-100. The Fuji is bigger but the HB is more dense. If I added a full kit to cover the focal lengths I want the HB kit would be heavier and require more lens changes. If HB made me a couple more zooms as good as the 35-75 I'd take it. The X2D has some long exposure benefits over the Fiji that I would really appreciate.

OTOH the new GFX100II is a huge improvement on the 100S so I don't feel that I'll missing much with not taking the X2D and I gain in some areas. The screen flips both ways and isn't obscured by the viewfinder. It has a cable release socket!!  I might even get the VF tilt adaptor as the EVF is even better than the X2D. I can see a mono simulation in the EVF. I could go beserk and get the 30mm TS lens and do some panos but really big ones.. :) But I won't. I may stich though. I REALLY like the GFX100II and I'm privileged to be able to choose between two fantastic systems. The whole kit fits in the smallest Wandred backpack although I'm going a size up for extras like a jacket or gloves etc....

If I were to take an X2D it'd more likely be with the 28, 55 and 90 as a kit for walking around Oslo and Bergen after we leave Iceland. But I think I'll take my A7CR for that. Or sneak in a GFX50mm and use that and the wide zoom....

Honestly though. I can't lose, no matter which kit I take. Both are the top of the top shelf and I'll have no excuses no matter what......

Gordon

Less is more Gordon..hehe,

Enjoy the trips, stay safe and keep cameras safer =D
Just a tip from a past owner of WANDRD backpacks, like many other brans they use the clamshell design where the back panel zip carry all the weight..same with Peak Design...I mean if the setup is lightweight its should be fine but with all the stuff you are carrying, if the zip fail everything would be on the ground..I have moved away from PD and WANDRD purely for that reason, now using Shimoda as the shoulder straps are built on the main body rather than the back panel.

Back to the topic of Matt, I find him alright, I think he's trying his best to be unbiased, unlike other reviewers, watching reviews now is like you going into a camera store knowing more about the camera than the salesman...you already know the features and selling points...you are looking for flaws or weaknesses...they do usually have very limited time before making a video/publish so I don't blame their errors, have tried to point out some and many were corrected in the comments .....

J
Jakoro
Jack Xu