X2D sensor cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

Helwin

I recently bought a used X2D that definitly needs sensor cleaning. Fingerprints!

Normally I clean sensors with the camera powered off, of course.

But now we have IBIS....

Does anybody know if cleaning should be done with Camera and/or IBIS on/off?

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: Helwin on October 12, 2023, 05:58:40 AM
I recently bought a used X2D that definitly needs sensor cleaning. Fingerprints!

But now we have IBIS....

If you have this type of question then take it to a professional camera store who performs sensor cleaning services. This is a delicate task and one needs the right tools and training not to cause damage/harm.

Helwin

Thank you for your answer, Andy.

I have the tools and training, I just need info on wether to turn IBIS on or not....

MGrayson

Quote from: Helwin on October 12, 2023, 06:20:48 AM

I have the tools and training, I just need info on wether to turn IBIS on or not....

I cleaned a Fuji GFX 100 sensor many times with the power off. The sensor moved around, but I don't see there being any more stress on the system or mounting than if the magnets were on. The sensor assembly has hard stops at the limits of movement, and I trust their strength against even a gel stick.

In any event, the half dozen or so cleanings did no damage.

Helwin

Thx Matt for sharing your knowledge.

Seems logical to me to have the camera powered off.

I will mail HB support, they usually answer within one day (Europe...).

Camera arrived with no front cap but with the CF card full of images..... ;D

Still under warranty, though....

SrMi

Quote from: Helwin on October 12, 2023, 06:20:48 AM

You probably want to know whether to turn the camera on or off and if turning the camera on, whether you should keep IBIS on or off.
If you turn the camera on for sensor cleaning, it makes sense to keep the IBIS off.

SrMi

Rico Pfirstinger (the go-to guy for all things Fuji) recommends in his X-Serets book to turn the camera on and to turn the IBIS off.

MGrayson

One problem with a question like this is that, if the answer is "it doesn't matter", no one with pretensions of authority will admit it. Everyone has to have an opinion as to the Right Way.

I suspect that, if it mattered, there would be huge red "Cleaning Counter-clockwise Voids the Warranty" stickers all over it just like the inside of a hard disk.
;D

grotte

Quote from: MGrayson on October 12, 2023, 09:24:41 AM
One problem with a question like this is that, if the answer is "it doesn't matter", no one with pretensions of authority will admit it. Everyone has to have an opinion as to the Right Way.

I suspect that, if it mattered, there would be huge red "Cleaning Counter-clockwise Voids the Warrantee" stickers all over it just like the inside of a hard disk.
;D
I am pretty sure that just looking inside the hard disk automatically and irrevocably voids the warranty.

MGrayson

Quote from: grotte on October 12, 2023, 11:00:43 AM
Quote from: MGrayson on October 12, 2023, 09:24:41 AM

I suspect that, if it mattered, there would be huge red "Cleaning Counter-clockwise Voids the Warrantee" stickers all over it just like the inside of a hard disk.
;D
I am pretty sure that just looking inside the hard disk automatically and irrevocably voids the warranty.

I cleaned the platters with Eclipse fluid, but the disk still wouldn't mount.  :)

MSuser

Quote from: Helwin on October 12, 2023, 05:58:40 AM

But now we have IBIS....

According to the user manual for the X2D 100C (Page 122):

5.3 CLEAN THE SENSOR FILTER

Follow the instructions below:
1. Power off the camera and remove any cable if connected.
2. Press and hold the lens release button. Rotate the lens counterclockwise to remove it.
3. Carefully clean the outside surface of the IR filter by using clean compressed air.
Take several shots of multiple images to test and check each image carefully. Contact the Hasselblad authorised service centre if there are any spots on the images.

I would approach instruction #3 carefully and generally either avoid compressed air or use it with a good deal of caution. I've cleaned sensors many times and feel quite comfortable with it. My personal preference is for Visible Dust blowers, brushes, liquid cleaning solutions, and swabs.

In this case, I'd contact Hasselblad support and inquire about any special precautions or advice regarding cleaning the sensor with the products I normally use.

Hareb

You can use a simple trick: remove the lens, turn on the X2D, turn the X2D vertically with the handle down and turn off. You see how the sensor moves according to gravity. Do the same thing, but with the handle on top. The sensor moves downward again according to gravity as far as possible.

Why the trick? If you don't want to move the sensor around when cleaning with swabs, you can hold the camera so that the sensor is at the stop after switching off. If you now clean the same side of the stop when the camera is switched off, the sensor will not move due to the movement of the swab. This works very reliably.

Many people see how the sensor moves when cleaning with the camera turned off. When the camera is on, he can't move because the camera is fixating on him. But you work against the work of the camera. If you deactivate IBIS, the sensor moves when cleaning.

There are many sources for both recommendations. But both make me feel bad. With the trick mentioned you have eliminated both problems and can clean with the camera switched off without moving the sensor.

Since I often find dirt, I clean it myself. I never had any damage. Going through the dealer or service takes far too long and is very expensive.

Helwin

Update: Hasseblad support confirmed the camera should be powered off while cleaning the sensor.

I used Visible Dust Vswabs and VDust Plus cleaning fluid. Worked like a charm.

Frankvth

Quote from: Helwin on October 12, 2023, 07:17:19 AM
Thx Matt for sharing your knowledge.

Seems logical to me to have the camera powered off.

I will mail HB support, they usually answer within one day (Europe...).

Camera arrived with no front cap but with the CF card full of images..... ;D

Still under warranty, though....

Why does this feel like a stolen camera?   Not saying that it is, but who on earth would not clear the ssd and put a load of fingerprints on it?...   ah it's probably just me...

Helwin

Bought it from an official auctioneer in Berlin, and they also supplied the original invoice with matching serial number.

Guess it was originally bought by a (rich) hobbyist who was surprised by the file size  ;D