Square crop lens equivalents to V system field of view

Previous topic - Next topic

marcwilson

Hi all,

Could not find this online so...Does anyone know the calculation to work out the lens equivalents when using (x) lenses on the X system in square crop to V lenses on the V system camera...500cm etc.
To get similar field of view.

i.e. the equivalent of the 60mm on the 500 cameras would be the 38 or 45 perhaps in square crop on the X cameras?

Thanks,

Marc

MGrayson

Square crop on the X is 33mm. On the V, it's 56mm, so the multiplier is 0.6. The equivalent of a 60mm V lens would then be a 36mm XCD lens.

(If you use 57mm for the V negative size, then the multiplier is 0.58, and the 60mm equivalent would be 35mm.)

The XCD 21 gives almost exactly the same square FoV as the SWC with its 38mm Biogon.

marcwilson

So quick...and simple when you lay it out like that.
Thanks so much!

I've followed your maths to work out that to get the same field of view (width) using the 45mm on the X1d at 4:3 with 1:1 is 34mm...think that is right? 34 divided by 44 = 0.75 x 45 = 34mm

MGrayson

Quote from: marcwilson on September 21, 2023, 02:37:49 AM
So quick...and simple when you lay it out like that.
Thanks so much!

I've followed your maths to work out that to get the same field of view (width) using the 45mm on the X1d at 4:3 with 1:1 is 34mm...think that is right? 34 divided by 44 = 0.75 x 45 = 34mm

Your calculation shows that a 34mm lens on the X1D square crop covers the same FoV width as a 45mm lens on the 44x33 sensor.

Whenever you change aspect ratios 4:3 to, say, 3:2 or 1:1, you have to decide WHICH measurement you're going to compare. But when comparing the square V format to a square crop of the X format, then all you need is the ratio of any corresponding measurements (side, height, diagonal - they're all the same multiplier. That's why it was easy to answer your first question. Multiply the V focal length by 0.6 and get the X focal length of the same FoV on the cropped X sensor.

Apologies if I've just made it more opaque. Changing format shapes is a mess.

Matt

marcwilson

Thanks...I ended up looking at image samples from the Hasselblad site and cropping the 38mm square and its very close to horizontal field of view of the 45.
Either way the 38mm will work better for me shooting square than the 45P...I really like the 45P and the price is good also but square is how I used to shoot :)