How to Clean Sensor X1D2

Previous topic - Next topic

rollsman

I never had a problem with dust before on the sensor.  I just used my camera a few days ago and I see so many dust spots on the images.
   Whats the Best way to clean the sensor .  TY
Dennis mansour

tenmangu81

Hi Dennis,

The first thing to do is to use a blower. Usually, it's enough. Don't touch the sensor, of course, and be sure your blower is dry and hasn't been used for other purposes.
If the dusts don't go, and only in this cas, you could think about buying a cleaning kit.
Robert

SrMi

Yes, start with a blower, either a Rocket blower or a battery-operated Nitecore blower.
If some dust persists, I would use a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly brush.

AndrewM

is there any concern with the IBIS mechanism? There doesn't seem to be a "cleaning mode" in the menus to lock the sensor.

Has anyone heard from HB what the official procedure, other than sending the camera to them?

tenmangu81

Any good photo dealer/workshop (HB or not) could clean a sensor with an appropriate device if you don't trust your hands (I myself don't trust them that much  ;D).
Robert

JoeC

Quote from: rollsman on September 19, 2023, 01:38:25 PM
  I never had a problem with dust before on the sensor.  I just used my camera a few days ago and I see so many dust spots on the images.
   Whats the Best way to clean the sensor .  TY

Dennis, please refer to this thread: https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=5402.0

Joe

SrMi

Quote from: AndrewM on September 19, 2023, 11:53:34 PM
is there any concern with the IBIS mechanism? There doesn't seem to be a "cleaning mode" in the menus to lock the sensor.

Has anyone heard from HB what the official procedure, other than sending the camera to them?

As far as I know, there is no IBIS concern when only blowing the sensor. However, when touching the sensor, it is probably best to turn the camera on while touching the sensor with a swab or brush as it keeps the sensor centered.

All manufacturers recommend not to touch the sensor with anything but to have it done by professionals.

MGrayson

Quote from: SrMi on September 20, 2023, 05:36:24 AM

As far as I know, there is no IBIS concern when only blowing the sensor. However, when touching the sensor, it is probably best to turn the camera on while touching the sensor with a swab or brush as it keeps the sensor centered.

All manufacturers recommend not to touch the sensor with anything but to have it done by professionals.

I used to clean the GFX 100 sensor with a gel stick. The sensor moved somewhat around freely, but there was never a problem with execution or with the final result. I would be hesitant to have the camera on while cleaning, both for static reasons (attracting dust) and the possibility of overloading the IBIS electromagnets. No, I have no evidence or particular expertise. But what I did worked fine for several cleanings.

I wouldn't have used a gel stick at all except that it is Leica's approved method, including an official instruction video. When using the Phase One cleaning system with the Leaf lint-free tissues, the recommended method was to bunch up the tissue and clean with a circular motion. That also worked very well and easily. Pad swiping tends to leave streaks unless done perfectly (I used that method for 15 years). Again, not THAT difficult to get right. Arctic Butterfly's are great, but you have to make sure that they don't get contaminated with oil from the shutter mechanism - not a problem on the Hasselblads.

SrMi

Quote from: MGrayson on September 20, 2023, 06:09:23 AM
Quote from: SrMi on September 20, 2023, 05:36:24 AM

I used to clean the GFX 100 sensor with a gel stick. The sensor moved somewhat around freely, but there was never a problem with execution or with the final result. I would be hesitant to have the camera on while cleaning, both for static reasons (attracting dust) and the possibility of overloading the IBIS electromagnets. No, I have no evidence or particular expertise. But what I did worked fine for several cleanings.

I wouldn't have used a gel stick at all except that it is Leica's approved method, including an official instruction video. When using the Phase One cleaning system with the Leaf lint-free tissues, the recommended method was to bunch up the tissue and clean with a circular motion. That also worked very well and easily. Pad swiping tends to leave streaks unless done perfectly (I used that method for 15 years). Again, not THAT difficult to get right. Arctic Butterfly's are great, but you have to make sure that they don't get contaminated with oil from the shutter mechanism - not a problem on the Hasselblads.

I believe the consensus on DPR was that it is safest to turn the camera on, but turn IBIS off so that the sensor gets locked in place.I believe that moving the sensor around while cleaning could damage IBIS. Of course, only light force should be applied on a sensor with IBIS.

rollsman

Thank you everyone for sharing this.  Dennis
Dennis mansour