Update X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller Photo UK

Almost NO camera manufacturer does list the IP code rating for their gear -- I suspect is because it depends on what we the users do / how we use them - for example if we fail to secure the covers correctly or use a 3rd party lens (like any old zeiss or chinese lens). The only cameras I have seen with a rating are those specifically designed to be used in the wet (Nikonos and a few rugged point and shoot designs) -- some provided ratings and use specification limits. So do one's Iphone, iWatch and divers watches/computers etc..

IP Code is measurement of weather/dust proofing not water proofing.

Every now and again folk like DP and PP issue information https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3864522077/survival-of-the-fittest-weatherproof-splashproof-waterproof-et-al
https://www.quora.com/If-your-camera-isnt-a-waterproof-one-how-do-you-make-it-waterproof

Part of the "issue" I have is that since H choose to say nothing about the weather sealing on the new XCD V/P lenses folk have concluded there is NONE -- this is clearly wrong. I used my in the wet and so have others.

In relation to the X2D-100C the inclusion of rubber gaskets as part of the port cover design was a welcome addition.

hcubell

The first time I travelled to Iceland 8 years ago to photograph, I used a Hasselblad H2 with a Phase IQ180 back. Both the back and the body failed the very first day in heavy rain and wind. I had to use a backup Sony A7RII for the rest of the trip. I knew what I would be getting into whenever I returned over the next 5 trips.
To be clear, my X2D and the lenses got plenty wet almost every day for 9 days under conditions that most people would never shoot. Would it have failed if I had not taken the steps I took. No idea, but only a fool would not take relatively simple steps to mitigate the risks. And, for anyone who thinks that other cameras are immune to failure from shooting in "difficult " weather, you may want to take a look at this: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/08/the-fujifilm-gfx-100-vs-salt-water-teardown/

Hareb

The biggest disadvantage of the Hasselblad X system for me is the poor delivery. Fuji can deliver the lenses and batteries from stock and you can test them at good dealers. The new camera and the new lenses have precise information about when they can be purchased.

I had to wait more than 2 months for an additional battery for the X2D. In a reasonable amount of time I was only able to get half of my lenses used; they were not available new. The delivery times in the HB shop are of no use to me because they don't deliver to Switzerland.

The unclear situation with some lenses such as 21 mm and 135 mm with 1.4x (sold out) certainly doesn't help in the competition with Fuji.

It would be good if there was more information about the actual availability of the lenses and accessories.

Ralf

I would at least like a roadmap for planned new lenses. (for Hasselblad x)

Larsb

Quote from: Hareb on September 15, 2023, 11:09:40 PM
The biggest disadvantage of the Hasselblad X system for me is the poor delivery. Fuji can deliver the lenses and batteries from stock and you can test them at good dealers. The new camera and the new lenses have precise information about when they can be purchased.

I had to wait more than 2 months for an additional battery for the X2D. In a reasonable amount of time I was only able to get half of my lenses used; they were not available new. The delivery times in the HB shop are of no use to me because they don't deliver to Switzerland.

The unclear situation with some lenses such as 21 mm and 135 mm with 1.4x (sold out) certainly doesn't help in the competition with Fuji.

It would be good if there was more information about the actual availability of the lenses and accessories.

I'd definitely agree with the 'poor delivery' comment.  In Australia it is even worse.  I've been asking the shops here for a 2nd X2D battery since I purchased my X2D in May, and still no word of when (or if ever) I can get one.  The excitement of the new 28mm P lens has come and gone and seems like there is reasonable supply overseas, but here in Australia, we are still waiting ....

I would also like to see a roadmap for the lenses (to echo the comment by "Ralf").

I think the X2D and the lenses I have (38mmV and 45p) are awesome, but more supply and more communications out of Hasselblad would really help to make it a more compelling product (and don't forget Australia :-) )
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

JCM-Photos

That's so bad that products are hardly available around the world, as being in Europe I had never to wait too long for my 2 bodies and many lenses, from on the shelf in a store to 2-3 days, exceptionally 1 month for the XCD 21.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

ashdown

The new GFX looks like a good solid camera that will have a broader market than the X2D and be more attractive to those used to the versatility of smaller sensors.

The Tilt Shift lenses are a big advance though. Other than adapting the HTS (as I do) Hasselblad has no real alternative. TS lenses don't sell in big numbers but they are a benefit that people base their whole system choice on. If you need/want them, it probably isn't a bonus but an essential tool. It's just a pity that the GFX remains handicapped by the sync speed and from what I've seen, slightly questionable colours.

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on September 14, 2023, 09:18:40 PM

The XCD lenses do not appear to be as "sealed" as HC/HCD lenses. But this may just be an impression. All the Hasselblad XCD lenses are weather-sealed. I see no reaons to assume the new V or P lenses are any different.

That's interesting. I didn't think the H lenses had any sealing at all. They don't have a mount gasket like the XCD lenses all seem to. To be honest I have no practical experience as despite having good insurance, I hide inside my Dicapak in any risky environment.

fcarucci

I just need eye focus for my portrait work on the X2D. For serious video work, you need a dedicated camera (like the FX6).

PeoOrvendal

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on September 14, 2023, 09:18:40 PM
When shooting sailing I use ThinkTank Hydrophobia and this is a weather/spray protection but not water proofing.

I've been eyeing the Hydrophobia, but they don't have an eyepiece they say will work with Hasselblad cameras. Do you use it without the eyepiece, or did you find one that works?

adammork

....and the Fuji have a cable release!! ....and custom modes accessible from a dial, just like on the X1D ....and the shift lenses.
All small things, but super important in my daily life as an architectural photographer.

I would have have exchanged my X1D with a X2D in a heartbeat if there where a simple cable release - now I have to get used to the look and menus of the Fuji.

tenmangu81

@adammork
Why don't you use Phocus Mobile ?
And, as you say, you'll "have to get used to the look and menus of the Fuji" !!
It's the user-friendly design, weight, and compactness of the X1D which made me choose it rather than the GFX100S more than 2 years ago.
But I understand that T/S lenses would be welcome for you in the HB line.
Robert

adammork

Some of the shoot days is 12+ hours long- it's not very practical to stand with a phone in the hand and make it connect for that many hours = we can talk about several thousand exposures on a hectic day.

A cable release is a simple elegant solution - no batteries, no dropped Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and a direct physical connection to the shutter without delay.

We have the most beautiful cable release for the X1D, even though it can not be half pressed to activate live view, why not for the X2D??

Ralf

The lack of a cable release is actually the thing that bothers me most about the X2D.  I simply don't feel like fiddling around with Bluetooth/WiFi.
In addition, Phocus does not work with Android.  And as long as the live view display doesn't work with Phocus, I won't buy an Apple device for it.
I still hope that Hasselblad will implement a cable release via the USB port.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that yet.

SrMi

I have stopped using remote release on all my cameras and use timer instead. I understand that timer does not work for others.

Ralf

The timer is the emergency solution.  But I prefer to adjust the moment of release exactly.  A USB cable release is not voodoo.  However, a plug socket ala X1D would have been a more sensible solution since the accessories are already available.