New 28 P vs 21 mm Lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman1331

Has anyone else tried comparing the 21 mm and the new 28 P lenses for tneir functionality and performance. I have taken several shots side by side with these 2 lenses, and I don't notice any obvious differences other than the FOV coverage of course. I will replace my 21 mm with the new 28 P lens when I will travel to the Torres del Paine National Park of Chile in South America next Jan to take advantage of the compactness and light weight of the 28 P.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Since I am still waiting for my 28P to arrive - so not by me yet.

But -- let us pull the teeth on your "field of view" remark -- there is a "vast" difference between 21mm and 28mm focal lengths, the look of the images one can achieve and the space that one can work within -- clearly 21 to 28 does not seem vast but work within a building or in shoot landscape in cities / dense urban landscapes etc.. The difference is clear when you see the images.
Diagonal field of view 105˚ -vs- 89˚. However, I often use the xpn crop so the horizontal FOV 92˚ -vs- 76˚ is a little more relevant for me - see below

I have a number of wide lenses XCD 21, HC24 (used with XH adapter or XH0.8 converter and often HTS), Actus 24 (for my field camera), the 28P (when it arrives) and the 38V. I sold my 30 to make space for the 28P and 38V. Each lens option provides a noticeable Horizontal AOV and FOV difference with a subject at 10m:

HC24+XH 0.8 converter = FL 24.3*0.8 = 19.5mm. 10m HFOV 96.9˚ 10m HFOV 22.6m
XCD21   HAOV 92.7˚ 10m HFOV 20.95m
HC24     HAOV 85.0˚ 10m HFOV 18.33m
XCD28P HAOV 76.3˚ 10m HFOV 15.71m
XCD30   HAOV 72.5˚ 10m HFOV 14.67m 
XCD38V HAOV 60.1˚ 10m HFOV 11.58m

see https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/camera-field-of-view

The formula for the angle of view (in degrees) is: aov = 2 x arctan (sensors size / (2×focal length)), where sensor size is diagonal, horizontal or vertical (55, 44, 33mm)

fov = 2 x tan(2 x aov)×d

SrMi

Quote from: Patrick M on September 05, 2023, 02:09:22 AM
Maybe I'm a simpleton but I actually like the Hasselblad Lens comparator. Nikon had a good one too, but they took it down with the advent of Z lenses.

Using the comparator, I looked at the 28p vs the 4/21 and 38v . both of which I have, and frankly, didn't see the need for the 28p;  also, as I have the 38v and 55v,  there seemed little reason to keep the 45p, so I sold it.

As far as I can see, these two p lenses offer a great low price entry point to the XCD lens system, and also offer two very portable lenses for carrying around. Just not for me. My opinion and for my use case obviously.

I do not see any lens comparison tool on https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/lenses/, only examples shot with  various lenses.

Ikarus

Quote from: SrMi on September 05, 2023, 09:32:20 AM
Maybe I'm a simpleton but I actually like the Hasselblad Lens comparator. Nikon had a good one too, but they took it down with the advent of Z lenses.

Using the comparator, I looked at the 28p vs the 4/21 and 38v . both of which I have, and frankly, didn't see the need for the 28p;  also, as I have the 38v and 55v,  there seemed little reason to keep the 45p, so I sold it.

As far as I can see, these two p lenses offer a great low price entry point to the XCD lens system, and also offer two very portable lenses for carrying around. Just not for me. My opinion and for my use case obviously.

I do not see any lens comparison tool on https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/lenses/, only examples shot with  various lenses.

Hi Srdjan,

I think what he was referring to was the field of view comparison on that page, if you scroll down a bit.  Useful, for what it's worth.

Cheers
John

Thyl

somebody elsewhere mentioned a purple colour cast on the 28P, but not on the 21; sorry, just to lazy to find it again. Could not be fully corrected even in Phocus 3.7.5. I don't think it would bother me. But still, would be nicer if all lenses had the same tint.

polychloros

Quote from: Thyl on September 05, 2023, 10:15:09 PM
somebody elsewhere mentioned a purple colour cast on the 28P, but not on the 21; sorry, just to lazy to find it again. Could not be fully corrected even in Phocus 3.7.5. I don't think it would bother me. But still, would be nicer if all lenses had the same tint.

That was on theGetDpi forum. It appears that the magenta cast appears with this lens when used with the 50MP sensor in the 907x and X1D series of cameras. It is not clear to me whether this is only noticeable at certain apertures or a general problem but, as a 907x user, it has certainly put me off ordering this lens for now.

JCM-Photos

one that finds the 28 better than the 21, just doesn't need a 21  ;)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

tenmangu81

It looks like some people have been faced with issues on copies of this lens (GetDPI : lack of sharpness in the corners, magenta cast). Seemingly, the quality control on the XCD28P is not at the level we could expect from Hasselblad. I am not ready to buy it....
Robert

MarkN

The 21 and 28 have significantly different fields of view.  If you want to compare the quality of the 28P to a non-P xcd lens it should be the 30, not the 21mm.  If you compare the MTF curves of the 30 and the 28 you will see that the smaller cheaper lens was made more portable (hence the P) due to some compromises in overall optical quality - and that should be fine if that portability is important to you.

SrMi

We should look at the 28p images processed by Phocus, as it is currently the only software supporting that lens. The lens's compact size has been obviously designed with the expectation of appropriate software support.

bmikiten

I have the 21mm and shoot it pretty regularly. It wasn't an inexpensive lens. What changed to allow them to put out a 28mm at such a discounted rate?

SrMi

Quote from: bmikiten on September 06, 2023, 05:46:02 AM
I have the 21mm and shoot it pretty regularly. It wasn't an inexpensive lens. What changed to allow them to put out a 28mm at such a discounted rate?

The lens seems to require more software correction than 21mm. Maybe DJI was able to help reduce the cost of production, and maybe there is a new supplier.

Ikarus

Quote from: Patrick M on September 06, 2023, 05:19:30 AM
Quote from: Ikarus on September 05, 2023, 04:30:13 PM

Hi Srdjan,

I think what he was referring to was the field of view comparison on that page, if you scroll down a bit.  Useful, for what it's worth[/b].

Cheers
John

OUCH
As an amateur hobby shooter, I tend to regard FoV first - as it indicates where I might get the most use from a lens. If we go to macro or portrait work, then course there are many other factors. But don't be dismissive of what others do ... we each of us differ and try to help others with our suggestions.

What?

Not dismissive at all.  The field of view image on that page is very useful, but it is only a field of view widget.    It doesn't provide any other information, than a nice display.  Hence "for what it's worth".  There is no criticism of Srdjan or anyone else in my comment.  I found it useful comparing the field of view of the 38V (which I have), the 28P (which I'm not getting) and the 21 (which I sold some time ago).

SrMi

Quote from: Ikarus on September 05, 2023, 04:30:13 PM
Quote from: SrMi on September 05, 2023, 09:32:20 AM

Hi Srdjan,

I think what he was referring to was the field of view comparison on that page, if you scroll down a bit.  Useful, for what it's worth.

Cheers
John

Thanks, John. I just could not figure out the UI until now:).

Andy Miller Photo UK

This is simply wrong - there is no colour cast on the X2D - so it is not the lens.