H2D battery questions

Previous topic - Next topic

bmikiten

I have, in the past, had a camera battery leak into a body. I'd like to avoid that on my new X2D! I have a pair of batteries and the Hasselblad charger. Does anyone know if the outboard charger is self-monitoring? Any reason not to remove the battery between uses especially if it may be 2 weeks or more?

pflower

I have no idea what a self monitoring charger is. But if it is of any reassurance to you I bought an X1D very early - March 2017 - together with 3 batteries which were charged by the external charger that came with the X1D (same batteries as used by the X2D).  Since then we are looking at about 15k exposures and I would estimate that for the 6+ years I've had it there has been a battery inside the camera for 99% of the time.  In fact probably only when all 3 batteries were exhausted was there a time when the camera didn't have a battery in it.  All 3 are still working fine and in fact I just took delivery of an X2D today and just used one of the old batteries - no problems.

I've used many digital cameras and camcorders over the years and never heard of the batteries leaking.  My first DSLR was a Nikon DX2 - original battery still in the camera, once in a while charged just to see if the camera still works.  But you've got me a bit worried but I don't think I'll start removing batteries just yet.

Enjoy your new camera.  I've just had it for a day and I am blown away by the stabilisation first - will examine detail and colour against the X1D later.

Hareb

There is also a recommendation to leave the battery IN the camera.

If the camera is stored without a battery for a long time, the internal backup battery may become discharged and the camera will forget time and settings each time the battery is changed.

Does anyone know how Hasselblad keeps the memory without a battery?

pflower

Don't know about Hasselblad but I have an old Sony Nex-7 which I hadn't used in at least 10 years.  couldn't reset the date and time.  But leaving a charged battery in it for 90 minutes recharged the internal battery and allowed me to set the date and time.  So I guess the internal batteries can recharge but definitely not recommended to leave a camera for 10 years with no battery.

bmikiten

Quote from: pflower on August 21, 2023, 06:35:42 AM
I have no idea what a self monitoring charger is.

Many charging systems will either measure the voltage on, or temperature of, the battery while charging and turn off the charging circuit so it doesn't over charge or overheat the battery.