H series replacement?

Previous topic - Next topic

ken099990

Has anyone heard any rumors on an H series replacement (Mirrorless?) or do you think they will go all in with the X series (or a new X body with many of the similar options on the H ... multi-shot)?

Thanks,
-Ken

glaiben

Anything will be pure conjecture at this time, but I'll toss out an opinion.  In general, they are a relatively small company (around 200 employees worldwide per various online sources) with annual revenues in the $35-40 million range.  Comparing to others, Leica exceeds $400 million.  So, pretty small and cannot devote a huge chunk of dollars/euros to new systems.

I'm not sure how much the consumer side drives Hasselblad's revenue and their focus, but it's not 100% as they have the industrial side with aerial and mapping (eg, A6D).  Does Hasselblad want to spread their R&D budget across another consumer line?  Hard to say, but the X series seems to have been fairly successful and the reflex camera design seems to be waning among many of the larger manufacturers.

My guess is that we will see mirrorless thrive and further building out of the existing X system.  This would complement parent DJI's high end products (obviously, they have no need for reflex cameras).  We've already seen DJI fit the A6D to high end drones.  They will want to continue to use Hasselblad HCNS and other expertise to drive their higher end products (and probably trickle down for medium range products).  I cannot believe DJI bought them just for their profits - intellectual property/brand image/prestige had to be major contributing factors.

A 907X-100c could be the next "major" product.  They have the sensor and the platform.  Of course, a 907X-150c would be even neater...especially if they could insert programming for frame averaging <g>.

...gregg

disposable@tx.rr.com

With absolutely no reliable information on market conditions, Hasselblad development capability, or pretty much anything else that might give weight to my personal and rather biased opinion, I think Hasselblad is moving farther and farther into the niche market and no longer will be relevant in the professional arena.

Not that this is necessarily a terrible state of affairs, Leica seems to play pretty well in that arena.  There's a lot of photographic money available to support niche markets.  I have two Hasselblad systems myself, both of which are pretty much niche.  Fun to play with, but for paid work we use another brand.

JCM-Photos

It would be interesting to know how many A6D Hasselblad has really sold to photographers ?
A guess no

This camera cannot be used by a photographer, a special lens series has not focus, fixfocus at infinity or other dedicated factory fixed focus, and the camera mount has a screwed flange to eliminate the slightest vibration between lens and body (no lens change when shooting) !!!

A6D is a very special industrial niche product

Sharpen your eyes not your files

Thyl

The H series is characterized by being an SLR system. So, going mirrorless, we would loose the main characteric, and end up with the X system. I am not sure what you meant in your question. Maximum sensor size? In that case, I'm afraid we won't see anything. Everything else can be implemented within the X system.

sortvitt

I find the image quality of the H6D to be vastly superior to the X2D. The files from H6D amazes me every time I open them whilst the X2D just feels a lot more digital with an artificially high sharpness. Just sold my X2D for this reason and will for another H6D since I do not see a replacement being realistic.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: sortvitt on August 12, 2023, 08:34:47 PM
I find the image quality of the H6D to be vastly superior to the X2D. The files from H6D amazes me every time I open them whilst the X2D just feels a lot more digital with an artificially high sharpness. Just sold my X2D for this reason and will for another H6D since I do not see a replacement being realistic.
Sorry that's simply not the case when using both and comparing the results.
The H6-50c has simply the same sensor and imaging system as X1D, X1DII, 907X just with older weaker H lenses.
I own both H and X lenses and can see it every day, X lenses are superior.

hasselblad has 3 different RAW engines you can choose in their Phocus software. As the latest Nr. 3 engine gives ultra sharp picture somehow digital as most people like it today, you can also process your RAW's in the legacy Hasselblad Nr. 1 engine that gives nice smooth transitions and filmy looks.

Using these same old Fuji H lenses on a much more expensive H6-100C doesn't bring advantages for every day usage as the camera becomes much slower and 100 Mpix no more matches entirely the sensor possibilities.

A famous worldwide known fashion photographer I know well even sold his H6-100C to buy a second H6-50C that fits much more his needs. (He also uses a X1DII). And he works only with Nr. 1 RAW engine without any digital accentuation.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

sortvitt

The X1D files were brilliant. I haven't tried the H6D-50C (I'm using a H6D-100C), but I'm sure it's top IQ. The new V lenses are impressive and so is the X2D camera -  it's the X2D files I have an issue with. Maybe the 30% larger sensor in H6D-100C has something to do with it, I know I will miss it once it's gone.