Using X2D IBIS with monopod

Previous topic - Next topic

wild-light-xpan

Switching off the IBIS whilst using a tripod is well documented but what about a monopod? Has anyone tried it? Is my assumption right that it could work quite well with a monopod setup?

MGrayson

Quote from: wild-light-xpan on June 24, 2023, 06:10:11 AM
Switching off the IBIS whilst using a tripod is well documented but what about a monopod? Has anyone tried it? Is my assumption right that it could work quite well with a monopod setup?

I just did the experiment. X2D on a monopod, I could see no difference in 1/20 second exposures with the XCD 120/3.5 with stabilization off or on. I focussed on different parts of the cat, but you can see how sharp the sharp parts are. The order is stabilization off, then on. Click the images for 100% detail.

Matt

MGrayson

Quote from: Patrick M on June 24, 2023, 07:42:44 AM
The general rule is turn it off. BUT some lenses allow a "sport" mode. A monopod is great for shooting fast action, such as motor sports, and a sport mode allows horizontal not vertical motion. So if I were using a monopod for that type of shot, I'd turn it to sport, or if there's no choice, off.

I was surprised that it worked this well. On a tripod, you can see the image swoop.

bmikiten

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who photographs my cats to look at lens resolution and sharpness. I can cancel the therapist.

mikeinpa

Quote from: bmikiten on June 24, 2023, 08:34:46 AM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who photographs my cats to look at lens resolution and sharpness. I can cancel the therapist.

They make great test pilots.  8)