File counter reset

Previous topic - Next topic

polychloros

Quick question (that I think I already know the answer :-\): is it possible to change the file counter number to something other than zero? I've just had my camera replaced after a month or so of ownership (it was faulty from new but basically usable and I've been waiting for a new one to arrive from Sweden) and would like my file numbers to continue on from where they were with the now replaced camera. In other words, I'd rather not have the files start again from B00000001 and end up with different image files with the same file name. I know that you can change file names when importing into Phocus (and I think you can do the same with LR) but I'm a simple person and I prefer to copy the contents of my cards directly across to my computer and sort them via dated folders. I then choose to work on the files using LR ("import without copy") or (more usually) directly using Photoshop/ACR via Bridge. It is not a big deal but I'd rather not have multiple image files in my archive with the same filename.

The normal menu doesn't seem to allow choosing a file number to start from. Is there a "secret" menu option like the service menu trick used to redo a firmware update?

polychloros

It turns out I didn't need to reset or change the file counter. I put the card in from the 'old' camera with the images still on it from when I last used that camera. Rather than immediately reformat the card with the replacement camera I decided to first take a photo and it assigned a contiguous file name. The replacement camera is now counting from where the old one left off. I guess this is probably obvious to many but I thought this camera worked on the principle that the file counter in the camera was king and that it ignored what might already be on the card.