Adapted telephoto lenses on the X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

JCM-Photos

Quote from: wild-light-xpan on December 05, 2023, 05:51:47 AM
Well, my lens and adapter arrived and I've taken some test shots on the X1D MkII with the Mamiya 645 fotodiox adapter. While it produces lovely results at close and mid-range distances it just doesn't focus at infinity no matter which aperture I use, unfortunately. Being a landscaper I need it sharp at infinity. it's like I just run out of travel on the focus ring before the image sharpens up in the viewfinder, very frustrating. I'm not sure if its the adaptor at fault, its not exactly snug on the XCD camera mount side with a fair bit of play in it.
I have the same problem with a crap photodiox pro M645 adapter, I had also to remove a weird coupling index on this adapter that disabled the A/M aperture switch. I should shorten it to fix the problem, but the mount screws are glued ☹️
I also use a Kippon adapter that is perfect.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

MGrayson

Quote from: wild-light-xpan on December 07, 2023, 12:37:17 AM
Quote from: MGrayson on December 05, 2023, 06:29:45 AM
Quote from: wild-light-xpan on December 05, 2023, 05:51:47 AM
Well, my lens and adapter arrived and I've taken some test shots on the X1D MkII with the Mamiya 645 fotodiox adapter. While it produces lovely results at close and mid-range distances it just doesn't focus at infinity no matter which aperture I use, unfortunately. Being a landscaper I need it sharp at infinity. it's like I just run out of travel on the focus ring before the image sharpens up in the viewfinder, very frustrating. I'm not sure if its the adaptor at fault, its not exactly snug on the XCD camera mount side with a fair bit of play in it.

My first Kipon adapter had this problem with a few Mamiya 645 lenses. So I got a pack of wet/dry sandpaper and took 0.1mm off the thickness of the adapter. That let all my lenses focus to infinity, although the distance scales were now off on some of them.

You might have to disassemble some of the adapter to get a flat surface, or at least take out the screws. Then put the sandpaper on a very flat surface (I used a marble coffee table), use water, and make random circular motions. Keep calipers handy to measure your progress. It took 20 minutes. Finish up with some smaller grit to polish the surface.

Very interesting MGrayson, I'm not too worried about the distance scales, so very tempted to try it. I take it you removed the 0.1mm from the Mamiya side of the adapter?

Yes. Now that I look at it again, I'm pretty sure I removed the screws and took off the first ring - the one that actually touches the Mamiya lens. I didn't want to sand the screw heads, so sanded the surface right below. Then reassembled and achieved infinity focus. The only tricky bit is the little spring in the lens release. The first time getting it back in was not obvious, but then it became easy. Of course, springs can fly away and get lost, so be careful.

I'm making it sound harder than it is.

But perhaps 0.1mm isn't a problem for screw heads and I could have just done the Mamiya side of the fully assembled adapter. That would have been simpler.

Matt

BTW, it's really worth carrying that Mamiya 300/5.6 ULD around. Weighs nothing and ...

JCM-Photos

My 300mm 5.6 non ULD version, despite being identical apart the glass brand of one element isn't that sharp, even if it's really good
It's like the Sekor C 80mm 2.8 old version in metal and N version in plastic, with the N much sharper at bigger apertures and with only one element glass brand changing.

The sharpest older lens in this focal range I know is the Zeiss CF Sonnar SA 250mm 5.6.
The famous Apollo earthrise image has been taken with the non SA version but the SA version is even much better.
My 50 Mpix XD1 isn't able to show the difference with the XCD135 x1.7.
I would not be surprised if the old SA would be sharper on the X2D !
Sharpen your eyes not your files

wild-light-xpan

I thought I'd contact Fotodiox to see what they would say about the focus at infinity issue, and I received this reply...

I've been researching any similar issues regarding adapters and infinity focus, and for this lens-to-camera combination, I can't find anything. But I did do some math for the maximum length an adapter can be. The Mamiya 645's flange focal distance is 63.3mm, and the Hasselblad XCD's flange focal distance is 18.14mm. The maximum length an adapter can be to allow for infinity focus is 45.16mm, and the adapter I pulled from the shelf measured 44.78mm. Mathematically speaking, the adapter I measured objectively allows for infinity focus.

It's possible the adapter is out of spec and is too long, and if you'd like to exchange the adapter, we can do a warranty exchange.

As noted above, the adapter I measured is shorter than the required flange focal distance that the adapter must bridge. In situations like this, infinity focus is guaranteed, in a sense, but generally doesn't occur at the lens' native infinity focus mark. In a case like this, you may need to focus closer to achieve true, optical infinity focus, rather than use the focus scale on the lens.

Thank you.

MGrayson

Quote from: wild-light-xpan on December 07, 2023, 11:14:08 AM
I thought I'd contact Fotodiox to see what they would say about the focus at infinity issue, and I received this reply...

I've been researching any similar issues regarding adapters and infinity focus, and for this lens-to-camera combination, I can't find anything. But I did do some math for the maximum length an adapter can be. The Mamiya 645's flange focal distance is 63.3mm, and the Hasselblad XCD's flange focal distance is 18.14mm. The maximum length an adapter can be to allow for infinity focus is 45.16mm, and the adapter I pulled from the shelf measured 44.78mm. Mathematically speaking, the adapter I measured objectively allows for infinity focus.

It's possible the adapter is out of spec and is too long, and if you'd like to exchange the adapter, we can do a warranty exchange.

As noted above, the adapter I measured is shorter than the required flange focal distance that the adapter must bridge. In situations like this, infinity focus is guaranteed, in a sense, but generally doesn't occur at the lens' native infinity focus mark. In a case like this, you may need to focus closer to achieve true, optical infinity focus, rather than use the focus scale on the lens.

Thank you.

My first adapter measured too long for infinity focus. That's how I knew how much to grind it down. My second one (I have a lot of Mamiya lenses) was to spec.

wild-light-xpan

Given the good reviews of the 105-210, has anyone tried the Mamiya Sekor C 75-150mm zoom on the X1/2D?

wild-light-xpan

OK, so I took a punt and just bought the Mamiya Sekor C 75-150mm zoom and tried it on my X1D MkII via the fotodiox adapter. I bought a well-used one from Japan for about £160. It's quite heavy at 970g (1278g with an adaptor). But, oh my, the performance is just incredible. It is pin sharp at any focal range from f8-f16. It's unbelievable, I'm really happy with it, this is going to sit quite nicely next to my XCD zoom and covers all my focal range needs in 2 lenses.

I'd like to show you an example jpeg but I get an 'Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.' error, unfortunately.