XPan 30mm complete

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Claesson

From my years at Hasselblad, I received numerous request for this lens and if I knew of any dealer or photographer was selling one.
I happened to speaking to Mike Mander at Beau Photo in Vancouver, BC Canada yesterday and he mentioned they had one.

https://www.beauphoto.com/product/used-hasselblad-30mm-f4-with-viewfinder/
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee

JCM-Photos

This 30mm isn't complete !
Here I don't see the anti vignetting filter, the slot for it in the leather box is empty, I guess the pouches for the lens and viewfinder are also missing

I've never seen one complete on today's second hand market !

I feel pricing of this item is way too high without all the items like new.

I bought mine mew in the past less than half this price and still have all part, inclusive external cardboard boxes and paperwork, and it did not get the "Schneideritis" illness.

in the storing leather box you should find:
30mm aspheric lens with rear and front covers
special rectangular lens hood for the this lens
external 30mm viewfinder
plastic box with the special anti vignetting filter
outside the leather box, a leather lens pouch and a padded fabric viewfinder pouch

You have to inspect carefully each 30mm before buying, some batches got after few years "Schneideritis".
(you can see it when showing into the lens from the front lens).
Even if this illness doesn't affect the image quality, when present the price should drop significantly.
You have also to show if the viewfinder rear glass with plastic rim isn't missing (it can unscrew by itself)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

JCM-Photos

The special filter for this 30mm lens has absolutely to be used in panoramic mode, it can be removed in 24x36 mode to gain light, that's why it was part of the original box.

Vignetting of 45mm and 90mm lenses is much less and that's why the filter was an accessory. (same filter for 45mm and 90mm).
Some people don't use the filter on the 45mm in panoramic mode coping with the moderate vignetting. I'self   use it always.
The 90mm lens doesn't really need the filter, but with high contrast slide film in panoramic mode (like Velvia 50) the benefit can be seen.

JCM-Photos

The 30mm aspheric is a fabulous lens and the X-Pan but it doesn't shine on the 50 Mpix digital sensor even if it is the best X-Pan for this use.
Phocus software automatic lens corrections do a great job with it but the results never reach the image quality of the XCD30.

in this focal range on X cameras the XCD30 is the best for image quality followed by the HCD28 (i use it) and the last is the X-Pan 30.

Buying a 30mm X-Pan lens is really great for the X-Pan body but doesn't really make sense on a digital X body, unless you already own one on your X-Pan and its costs only the adapter ring.

David Mantripp

If you look carefully on eBay you see many XPan lenses with "schneideritis", not just 30mm.  My first copy, bought in 2001, caught the bug after 2-3 years. Only the pressure from my dealer finally pushed Hasselblad to do something about it. Eventually they offered me a new lens at 30% list price.  The second one also caught the virus a few years later. There is zero optical effect, and it just stabilises, it doesn't get worse. I couldn't be bothered going through all the fuss again... Neither of my 45s or my 90 ever suffered.

Basically for photographers it makes zero difference. For collectors/speculators, I sippose it does.  I'd only ever sell my XPan to a genuine photographer.