Scanning Kodachrome slides

Previous topic - Next topic

GRH

Aloha,
I am looking for some guidance on scanning some Kodachrome 35mm slides with an xd1-2
Couple of questions that I have
What would be a good light source to use without a lot of heat on the slide.
I'm assuming that a 48mm extension tube should work to fill the camera's sensor frame but I'm not sure what lenses would work best.
At the moment I only have a 30 & 90 xcd but thinking that a 45P might be a good combination with the 48mm extension.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I could save some time and money trying to figure it all out.
Mahalo

NickT

Light wise I would use strobe/flash even a flash gun would work.

Can't advise on lenses as I don't have an X1D but look at the MTF charts to determine optimal f stop.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

JCM-Photos

For scanning 35mm film with a camera I use an old Nikon bellow with a film reproduction unit on my D850. It has a light diffusion screen behind the film and holds framed slides as well as film strips

using a MF digital camera isn't ideal because you have to go beyond 1:1 repro ratio what's more difficult than on FF or even APS-C I find this last ideal for the task, having a much lower repro ratio.

For lighting I use my Rotolight NEO LED photo light on a tripod, the camera with bellow is on another tripod.
I find this solution very flexible as you can easily change distances between film and light, also adjust the light intensity and color temperature, just turning two knobs.

The light coming out of the rotolight doesn't heat the film at all even at short distances, you can feel it holding your hand for a while before the light.

I find flash lighting less convenient in this case, you have to shield it to protect your eyes and at short distances the high amount of IR heats up the subject even if the flash itself remains cool.

Sharpen your eyes not your files

JCM-Photos

Please don't forget that with slides reproduction that aren't really flat in their cardboard mount you have to close strongly the aperture I would say at least f:11 or even f:16 to compensate with depth of field and this requires a lot of light, so continuous lighting is interesting because you can easily drop to 1/30s to compensate without loosing global shooting time.
when using flash light you need a relatively strong power that blinds your eyes if not shielded.

boojum

This just showed up on the 12th.  It looks interesting.  https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/this-new-device-hopes-to-revolutionize-film-scanning   Hopefully they will make it possible to do slides with.
Elpis

doc steel

Quote from: JCM-Photos on April 13, 2023, 07:15:26 PM
For scanning 35mm film with a camera I use an old Nikon bellow with a film reproduction unit on my D850. It has a light diffusion screen behind the film and holds framed slides as well as film strips

using a MF digital camera isn't ideal because you have to go beyond 1:1 repro ratio what's more difficult than on FF or even APS-C I find this last ideal for the task, having a much lower repro ratio.

For lighting I use my Rotolight NEO LED photo light on a tripod, the camera with bellow is on another tripod.
I find this solution very flexible as you can easily change distances between film and light, also adjust the light intensity and color temperature, just turning two knobs.

The light coming out of the rotolight doesn't heat the film at all even at short distances, you can feel it holding your hand for a while before the light.

I find flash lighting less convenient in this case, you have to shield it to protect your eyes and at short distances the high amount of IR heats up the subject even if the flash itself remains cool.
I use the same system with my Nikon D850 but instead a rotolight i use a flat light panel originally made for sorting and viewing slides and negatives.
It is okay, but a professional scan stays unbeatable.
What bothers me a little is the lack of exif data and the reason why i stopped that and let do the job a professional scan labor.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: boojum on April 13, 2023, 10:24:37 PM
This just showed up on the 12th.  It looks interesting.  https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/this-new-device-hopes-to-revolutionize-film-scanning   Hopefully they will make it possible to do slides with.
it' just a normal film holder, what you can already find by Nikon

GRH

Thanks so much for the replies.. I have around a 100 slides that I found in my old files and I just wanted to digitize them as best as I could.
I first thought using a scanning service but I wasn't able to find any here in Hawaii so that's why I was wanting to try it with the camera.
I was thinking along the lines of using something similar that JCM has explained.
I know Nikon had a es-1 or es-2 setup to use with a nikkor 60 micro lens for scanning but I was trying to use the xd1-2 but maybe MF is not the best way to go.
I do have a friend that has a d850 and Z9 so maybe I can get them to lend one to me and go that route.
At first I thought about using remote flash as Nick explained, but I'll look into the led lighting.
Good point about the flatness of the slides, definitely need a greater DOF so stopping down in the f11-f16 range is most likely.
@JCM what lens do you have on your setup ?

boojum

Quote from: JCM-Photos on April 14, 2023, 03:10:21 AM
Quote from: boojum on April 13, 2023, 10:24:37 PM
it' just a normal film holder, what you can already find by Nikon

I think I covered that.
Elpis

agreenier

For lighting I use Lume Cube lights, they are wonderful, and being LED, cool.
To hold the film, I use the Pixl-latr, an excellent little tool.