X2D with LightRoom

Previous topic - Next topic

SrMi

Quote from: David Mantripp on February 28, 2023, 05:19:04 AM
Quote from: flash on February 24, 2023, 09:39:40 AM

The other cameras I use go the same way but then to DXO and back. I wouldn't say no to some DXO love for Hasselblad.

Gordon

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but DxO PhotoLab supports at least the X1DII, back to v4.  You have to give it 3FR files though... for fairly obvious reasons it doesn't like FFF files.
DxO could support FFF files as they are also un-demosaiced raw files. The main difference to .3FR is lossless compression and the possibility to contain instructions.

tenmangu81

In addition, how does the DxO colour engine behave with .3FR or .fff files ? And does DxO support Blad lens corrections ?
Robert

JCM-Photos

Quote from: SrMi on February 28, 2023, 07:01:56 AM

The other cameras I use go the same way but then to DXO and back. I wouldn't say no to some DXO love for Hasselblad.

Gordon

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but DxO PhotoLab supports at least the X1DII, back to v4.  You have to give it 3FR files though... for fairly obvious reasons it doesn't like FFF files.
DxO could support FFF files as they are also un-demosaiced raw files. The main difference to .3FR is lossless compression and the possibility to contain instructions.
today 3FR can also include instructions, post production instructions made in Phocus mobile 2 that works with 3FR only, these can be respected or discarded at your choice when importing as fff in phocus desktop.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

David Mantripp

I think DxO only supports 3FR, because FFF already has lens corrections applied, and the major USP of DxO is its own hand-tuned lens corrections.  So there would not be a lot of point in reading an FFF file into DxO.

I could be wrong. It's not completely unprecedented.

JCM-Photos

fff files can have or not lens corrections included as you can activate them or not when importing the 3FR in Phocus.
But I guess that opening a fff file in a third party software that supports it will take no embedded Phocus correction as these work really differently in each software.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

tenmangu81

Yes, obviously !! On the other hand, be careful not to apply lens corrections twice, one in Phocus when importing .3FR files into .fff, and an other in Lightroom !!
I think lens corrections applied by Phocus are more extensive (diaphragm, focusing distance,...) than the ones applied by Lightroom which are not so bad, anyway.
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on February 28, 2023, 08:41:51 AM
In addition, how does the DxO colour engine behave with .3FR or .fff files ? And does DxO support Blad lens corrections ?
DxO has its own demosaicing and lens correction tools. The output can be a linear DNG, meaning the colors are not yet determined. Otherwise, the colors are DxO-specific.

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 28, 2023, 08:53:25 AM
Quote from: SrMi on February 28, 2023, 07:01:56 AM

Gordon

today 3FR can also include instructions, post production instructions made in Phocus mobile 2 that works with 3FR only, these can be respected or discarded at your choice when importing as fff in phocus desktop.
Thanks for the correction! I never use mobile and forget about it.
Did you mean that upon import to Phocus, .3FR with instructions is converted to FFF with those instructions propagated?

SrMi

Quote from: David Mantripp on March 01, 2023, 03:10:47 AM
I think DxO only supports 3FR, because FFF already has lens corrections applied, and the major USP of DxO is its own hand-tuned lens corrections.  So there would not be a lot of point in reading an FFF file into DxO.

I could be wrong. It's not completely unprecedented.

AFAIK FFF contains un-demosaiced lossless compressed raw data. I.e., any lens correction is embedded only as instructions that are understood only by Phocus. When Adobe reads FFF, it applies its lens corrections, not Phocus's.

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on March 01, 2023, 05:39:08 AM
Yes, obviously !! On the other hand, be careful not to apply lens corrections twice, one in Phocus when importing .3FR files into .fff, and an other in Lightroom !!
I think lens corrections applied by Phocus are more extensive (diaphragm, focusing distance,...) than the ones applied by Lightroom which are not so bad, anyway.
Lens corrections applied by Phocus and stored in FFF are not visible in Adobe, AFAIK. You cannot apply it twice.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on March 01, 2023, 07:06:36 AM
Quote from: tenmangu81 on February 28, 2023, 08:41:51 AM
DxO has its own demosaicing and lens correction tools. The output can be a linear DNG, meaning the colors are not yet determined. Otherwise, the colors are DxO-specific.

Yes, the colours are specific when not linear DNG. They should be kept with linear DNG, I guess.
For the time being, DxO Photolab doesn't support XCD45P nor the new V lenses (as seen on their website). And X2D is not on their list (?).
Robert

hcubell

Quote from: SrMi on March 01, 2023, 07:18:11 AM
Lens corrections applied by Phocus and stored in FFF are not visible in Adobe, AFAIK. You cannot apply it twice.

I hope you are right? That has always been my understanding.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on March 01, 2023, 07:18:11 AM

Right !! Except if you export the .fff in a format which keeps them (JPEG, TIFF,...), of course.
Robert

boojum

OK, I am not the sharpest knife on the tree so let me say what I think I heard.  Import the 3FR into Phocus and export it as TIFF or JPEG.  These formats carry the corrections applied to the 3FR file in Phocus.  Is this correct?  Did I hear it right?
Elpis

MGrayson

Quote from: boojum on March 06, 2023, 12:53:19 PM
OK, I am not the sharpest knife on the tree so let me say what I think I heard.  Import the 3FR into Phocus and export it as TIFF or JPEG.  These formats carry the corrections applied to the 3FR file in Phocus.  Is this correct?  Did I hear it right?
I just did the experiment exporting an FFF as a TIFF from Phocus and it kept its adjustments when opened in LR. I was comparing to to the FFF itself in LR with corrections applied. And you could NOT apply the lens corrections again.