PHOCUS Mobile 2 and X2D FW 1.1.0 is outnow!!

Previous topic - Next topic

Photon42

Quote from: Iskander on February 03, 2023, 11:13:56 AM
Quote from: Photon42 on February 03, 2023, 09:39:15 AM

I can't find any template. The additional export date is just appended without my desire. Of course one can delete it, but this is a bit cumbersome to do it every time.

Export -> then next to "name preset", click edit. Create your own template. Use Raw data for a start.

Where to edit ,name preset'? Not possible in Phocus Mobile 2

I thought his 2nd q was related to Phocus. On the iPad, I personally don't care about file names. If I move them to the computer, I always adjust them during that process.

stephanbruehl

Quote from: morgangold on February 03, 2023, 06:34:44 PM
Quote from: Photon42 on February 03, 2023, 09:42:29 AM
Quote from: stephanbruehl on February 03, 2023, 02:53:16 AM

I have the newest iPad 12.8" (6th generation). "Tethering" with the iPad by use of the Hasselblad USB-C cable doesn't work. Either I choose "MassStorage" for access of the SSD without camera control by use of the data app, or I choose "Skip" which means I cannot see the SSD with the data app. In both cases I don't get a connection to the camera through Phocus Mobile 2, and that happens independent from the used cable (for mass storage connection every cable works fine for me). I have to switch on WiFi on the camera to use Phocus Mobile 2.  A tethering cable thus is totally needless and apart wouldn't make sense for the iPad.
Tethering only works with Desktop Phocus 3.7.2.

Same here with an iPad Pro 2nd gen (USB-C). Will try again over the weekend.

I used last year's iPad Pro, so 2nd to newest gen.
I didn't use a cable, I used wireless/wifi. It was so good I would never even think of using a cable for my needs.

If you don't use a cable it is not correct to call it "tethered shooting". This caused the misunderstanding.

rgacpa

One issue that I'm experiencing and not yet mentioned (so it's probably me and something to do with my X2D setup) is that after releasing the shutter via Phocus 2 mobile, the "play" button on the back of the camera, to review the shot, does not work. The back of camera LCD shows no change at all.
Anyone else experience the same or, if not, have any idea of what I may have done wrong?
Thanks,
Bob

MGrayson

Quote from: rgacpa on February 04, 2023, 01:52:41 PM
One issue that I'm experiencing and not yet mentioned (so it's probably me and something to do with my X2D setup) is that after releasing the shutter via Phocus 2 mobile, the "play" button on the back of the camera, to review the shot, does not work. The back of camera LCD shows no change at all.
Anyone else experience the same or, if not, have any idea of what I may have done wrong?
Thanks,
Bob
Doesn't it appear on your mobile device?

rgacpa

Yes, but that is not the same, of course. Do you think that is how it is designed? A piece of software on a mobile device disables functionality on the camera?
At least it's not something I did... Does anyone else think it's strange?

rgacpa

Quote from: rgacpa on February 04, 2023, 05:46:28 PM
Yes, but that is not the same, of course. Do you think that is how it is designed? A piece of software on a mobile device disables functionality on the camera?
Does no one see how absolutely ridiculous this is? No on camera review (EVF or LCD) single shot is possible (no continuous, interval or time-lapse) cannot use, B or T shutter mode and cannot use tethered release through the USBC port so you've lost more functionality than you've gained.
I'm going on a three week photo trip to a very cold climate and bought the X2D for that. Now it will be sitting at home with all the lenses and batteries I also bought. A huge mistake on my part, admittedly.
I'll post the whole kit for sale when I return... What a waste; Hasselblad is defunct IMHO.

stephanbruehl

Quote from: rgacpa on February 04, 2023, 05:46:28 PM
I can imagine that the camera display is locked as long as you are in remote mode on your iPhone/iPad and get the shots there. But it is really strange that it is not sufficient to close the Phocus mobile app to get the camera display back to life again. One has to switch of WiFi or switch off and on the camera itself.

rgacpa

And don't forget that you can't shoot in continuous, interval or bracket mode. The purpose of a remote/tethered release is to both time your release when you want. Ex.: wave patterns coming into the shore rather than the patterns going out. The current shutter release would enable you to do one shot of that, not continuous to get different patterns. Waves crashing on rocks. In my experience, continuous shooting is required as timing with a single shot to hit the most dramatic wave explosion is virtually impossible. Star trails require good interval shooting as do Milky Way astro-landscape photography if you're going to stack the photos in processing. All of these require tripod mounting and release without touching the camera for the SHARPEST images. If you think your images are as sharp handheld as they would be on a tripod, take a lens, hand hold it and create an image hand held of an object with fine detail (clock face). Then put the camera, same settings, on a tripod and time the release with a 5 second or longer delay.
See which is sharper for the clock markings; not on the back of the screen, but using Phocus on your computer.
If you really want to see, use a long lens.
I won't rant any longer. Thanks for tolerating my anger for being taken by DJI...

Photon42

I just ran a quick test again with remote triggering from the iPhone.

• Connection only establishes if the camera is not in power save mode. Play with the buttons or tip the shutter button until it connects. May take about 10s or so
  • You can set some parameters from the phone, but also from the camera
  • If you remotely trigger the camera through the iPhone, the shot taken is displayed on the phone and kept during the session, but not stored on the camera roll (as a low res jpg, for instance)
  • Directly after the shot, the camera displays the menu choice (icons). if you press the shutter button of the camera, the camera live view is switched on again. You can display the image by pressing the play button
[liIf you set preview (only tested with rear screen) to on, the shot is as well displayed on the camera screen][/li]
[/list]

hcubell

Has anyone had success connecting their phone to the X2D using a USB-C to Lightning cable rather than WiFi? I think it is supposed to be possible.

stephanbruehl

Quote from: hcubell on February 10, 2023, 06:30:05 AM
Has anyone had success connecting their phone to the X2D using a USB-C to Lightning cable rather than WiFi? I think it is supposed to be possible.
No, to my opinion it will not work and apart it doesn't make sense since WiFi is available.

man-overboard

Except Wifi ain't kind to battery power. Bluetooth is better. I forget cable if either of the other two are available and work well. Cable to be last resort.

Photon42

Quote from: stephanbruehl on February 10, 2023, 06:53:03 AM
No, to my opinion it will not work and apart it doesn't make sense since WiFi is available.

A wired connection has the advantage of very fast transfer rates with lower energy consumption. Try wifi and try storing the photos directly on the ipad. May not be relevant for you.

stephanbruehl

I use the wired connection (USB-C) for the transfer of the pictures from the X2D SSD to the iPad. But this doesn't work with Phocus Mobile 2, you have to use the Apple file app or another 3rd party app (like "FileBrowser"). This is very convenient way for direct transfer of X2D files to Lightroom Mobile. Apart you can copy the files from the iPad to another backup medium like a separate SSD.

If, however, you want to use Phocus Mobile 2 for editing of the pictures, then you must stick with WiFi.

baudolino_CZ

Quote from: Photon42 on February 10, 2023, 11:25:12 AM
Quote from: stephanbruehl on February 10, 2023, 06:53:03 AM

A wired connection has the advantage of very fast transfer rates with lower energy consumption. Try wifi and try storing the photos directly on the ipad. May not be relevant for you.

I don't see a reason to store raw files on the iPad while shooting, with the X2D having 1TB of SSD disk space (more than my iPad). I see the iPad as basically a bigger screen for reviewing what I shoot (previews, not raws) and allowing the team to review the images. Of course, the camera must be connected over wifi all the time, otherwise the images don't show up on the iPad. We can easily check what we are shooting, poses, lighting etc.; we can rate the images using stars and colours. And then upload to the iPad our selects, for further processing, perhaps during a pause in shooting. I think this is the intended workflow, or at least what works best for me. Yes, wifi eats battery, but I keep the iPad connected to mains or a power bank and bring 3 batteries for the X2D. Problem solved. Better than having the make-up artist trip over my tether cable for the fifteenth time.