XCD 45P vs XCD 55v

Previous topic - Next topic

flash

Quote from: tenmangu81 on January 26, 2023, 01:00:41 AM
Quote from: jwillson on January 25, 2023, 02:54:36 PM
Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 24, 2023, 10:28:31 PM
have ever used a 45P saying it has a clunky shutter sound ?

It's by far the most silent XCD line lens, certainly quieter than a focal shutter.

I have. I owned one. In comparison to the new V series lenses, it is clunky. Compared to the original 45 and 90 that were released with the X1D? It is well damped.

Don't agree, at least for the X1D II I am on. The 45P is more silent than the 55V (I have both). Sometimes I even wonder if my shot has been taken !!

That's not my experience. The AF is much louder on the 45P and the shutter is very slightly louder. My 55V is essentially silent for both. In a very quiet room if I listen for it I might just hear the shutter on the 55V but in normal use it's only the VF blackout that lets me know a shot has been taken. I can always (just) hear the 45P shutter. The AF noise is vastly different. The 55V is silent. The 45P whirs away. Also on the X2D the AF speed of the 45P is near the slowest of all the lenses, except the 120 macro. The 55V is the fastest, along with the 38V. I never ever use the electronic shutter on the X2D. If I want/need to adapt a lens I'll use my GFX100S.

Gordon

flash

Quote from: MGrayson on January 26, 2023, 07:49:06 AM
Quote from: 6X6Miles on January 26, 2023, 05:00:18 AM
My use case for this camera is not a "walk around" that pukes out 215MB files but landscapes from the ground and air.
I guess I will know when I see for my self.

As I'm the only person who used that term, I guess that jab was aimed at me. My work has never been called puking before. Well, first time for everything.

If you count cityscapes, there is every bit as much detail to be had within a mile or two of a subway stop as one could ever hope to photograph.
X1D, 45/3.5 f/6.8 1/200s

You're not alone. The X2D has basically replaced my M11 as my preferred *walk around* camera. I have big hard drives so it can puke out as many big files as it likes. Mind you I'd use an mRAW option of 50MP if it were offered.

For me it's the combo of the 55V lens. A bit wider than I used to prefer. And the IBIS. The IBIS is outrageously good. The 55 focus speed and the IBIS make the X2D a great choice for a daily carry. I can definitely see how some want a bit wider though.

Gordon

Alan07

U Tube.  The Math Photographer.

A comparison of the new Hasselblad lenes and most of current existing XD range on the XD2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vWFANqySGI

EdwardWeston

Quote from: tenmangu81 on January 24, 2023, 10:06:04 AM
XCD45P and XCD90 is a very good combo.

Yep agreed! Also have the 30mm and together it's a great combo for wide, medium and portrait.

Listen, the new V lenses are the next generation of lenses, and are fantastic. But so are the XCD lenses. AF? AF is pretty good on all the lenses I own 30mm, 45P, 90mm all XCD class. I work at a camera store and have access to lots of different gear and camera systems. The V lenses are sweet, but the 45P is a steal for Medium format let alone MF Hasselblad with leaf shutter. An excellent performer. If you shoot in low light the 55 and 38 V lenses will have an advantage

BUT -

at the time of writing, the Hasselblad AF system is NOT advanced. It does not "track" or detect faces. So even with the phase detect, you have to select your AF point, which takes the most time vs either of the XCD or V lenses "acquiring" focus. So its the bottleneck in the equation as a "whole"

Will continuous AF come? Will tracking, etc. Who knows? Until it "does" it "hasn't"

So it boils down to:

1. NEED
2. MONEY

if you need, you need. If it's a question of it's worth it? Well, financially at the moment if its not a "need" the answer might be "no" but if the budget extends to allow for it, and you're wondering if the V lenses are worth it - well, overall "yes" simple as that. If you don't have the budget is it worth not picking up the XCD 45P? Yes - simply "No" and know that the 45P is a great lens. Slightly slower in F/stop, AF speed, but no slouch.

Photon42

I swapped my 45p and 30 for the new 38. Main reasons being larger maximum aperture, closer minimal focus distance, very light and quick and silent autofocus while still being compact. Together with the 65 it is like a 28/50 combo, which I personally like quite a bit.

6X6Miles

It's pretty interesting that aside from one paywalled expose from Diglloyd and since their introduction over a year ago, there is not ONE really in depth and comparative review of the 38mm V and 55mm V regarding image quality and how that compares to other lenses in the lineup. Not. One.

There are 7 superficial buyer reviews of the 55V on B&H and 4 of the 38V, that's it. Then on here there are comments and gushing praise about the size, weight, AF speed, shutter and AF noise, MF focus ring, etc etc but again, not ONE real world, photos matter insight into image quality.

The OP of this thread was nearly shot down about his criticism of the 38V and said he was not impressed with the image quality for the high price. One reply called all other XCD lenses "Obsolete" because of among other things, a frick'n metal lens cap?

I have been using Hasselblad in my work as a photographer since 1988, the main reason besides the expansive system approach is Image Quality. In March of 2021 I was hired by a high end interior designer to go to Costa Rica for two weeks and shoot seascape images for the walls of a high end home. I brought some Nikon gear and my then 907X and 45P as a backup. I did not even pickup the Nikon, I shot the entire thing with the 907X and 45P. The reason for this was Image Quality. It was and is incredible from wide open down to F13. It has uniform sharpness where other lenses do not.

Fast forward to now. I now have an X2D, 28P, 45P and 65mm 2.8. The latter is heavy, slow-ish, loud shutter and produces among the best image quality I have ever seen in any format in my entire career. But for things like an assignment overseas and because of all the positive non-image quality aspects of the new V lenses, I bought the 38V and 55V last week.

Yes, all the new features are truly great, no doubt. But let's get real here for a moment, this is Hasselblad, the real important stuff is and should *always* be about Image Quality.

The 38V, compared to the 45P, it's almost as good at similar apertures, F4 onward. But it is not as even in terms of image quality as the 45P, that takes stopping down to about 5.6. Good lens though, I might keep it.

But the 55V, damn, real bummer about that lens that ought to live up to the 102MP that it projects on to, but it simply does not. I spent the weekend shooting hundreds of photos in real world and controlled tests against a friends 55V, my 45P and 65mm 2.8. When it comes to the outer 25-30% of the image area as an image circle, it just blows big time compared to any of my other Hasselblad XCD lenses. My friend's does the same thing. I even looked at some raw files from a guy in France who has one, same thing. Crap image quality at any non-diffraction aperture in the outer 1/3rd of the image area.

I just scratch my head at some of the comments on here, the reviews on B&H. I want so bad to keep my 38V and 55V because aside from the thing that matters most, they are great. I might keep the 38V because of its size, speed and it logically could work between the 28P and 65. But the 55V is grossly disappointing. If the big selling point besides the build type is that it is F2.5, it is truly a one trick pony on a camera system that does far more with more. A $3,700 portrait and reportage lens that unlike my Leica glass and Nikon Z glass that serve the same genres, does not hold up at all in the corners. Wow...Emperors new clothes much?

I hope the OP did not waste his money on it or worse, get rid of the spectacular 45P.

SrMi

Quote from: 6X6Miles on October 02, 2023, 05:37:41 PM
It's pretty interesting that aside from one paywalled expose from Diglloyd and since their introduction over a year ago, there is not ONE really in depth and comparative review of the 38mm V and 55mm V regarding image quality and how that compares to other lenses in the lineup. Not. One.

There are 7 superficial buyer reviews of the 55V on B&H and 4 of the 38V, that's it. Then on here there are comments and gushing praise about the size, weight, AF speed, shutter and AF noise, MF focus ring, etc etc but again, not ONE real world, photos matter insight into image quality.

The OP of this thread was nearly shot down about his criticism of the 38V and said he was not impressed with the image quality for the high price. One reply called all other XCD lenses "Obsolete" because of among other things, a frick'n metal lens cap?

I have been using Hasselblad in my work as a photographer since 1988, the main reason besides the expansive system approach is Image Quality. In March of 2021 I was hired by a high end interior designer to go to Costa Rica for two weeks and shoot seascape images for the walls of a high end home. I brought some Nikon gear and my then 907X and 45P as a backup. I did not even pickup the Nikon, I shot the entire thing with the 907X and 45P. The reason for this was Image Quality. It was and is incredible from wide open down to F13. It has uniform sharpness where other lenses do not.

Fast forward to now. I now have an X2D, 28P, 45P and 65mm 2.8. The latter is heavy, slow-ish, loud shutter and produces among the best image quality I have ever seen in any format in my entire career. But for things like an assignment overseas and because of all the positive non-image quality aspects of the new V lenses, I bought the 38V and 55V last week.

Yes, all the new features are truly great, no doubt. But let's get real here for a moment, this is Hasselblad, the real important stuff is and should *always* be about Image Quality.

The 38V, compared to the 45P, it's almost as good at similar apertures, F4 onward. But it is not as even in terms of image quality as the 45P, that takes stopping down to about 5.6. Good lens though, I might keep it.

But the 55V, damn, real bummer about that lens that ought to live up to the 102MP that it projects on to, but it simply does not. I spent the weekend shooting hundreds of photos in real world and controlled tests against a friends 55V, my 45P and 65mm 2.8. When it comes to the outer 25-30% of the image area as an image circle, it just blows big time compared to any of my other Hasselblad XCD lenses. My friend's does the same thing. I even looked at some raw files from a guy in France who has one, same thing. Crap image quality at any non-diffraction aperture in the outer 1/3rd of the image area.

I just scratch my head at some of the comments on here, the reviews on B&H. I want so bad to keep my 38V and 55V because aside from the thing that matters most, they are great. I might keep the 38V because of its size, speed and it logically could work between the 28P and 65. But the 55V is grossly disappointing. If the big selling point besides the build type is that it is F2.5, it is truly a one trick pony on a camera system that does far more with more. A $3,700 portrait and reportage lens that unlike my Leica glass and Nikon Z glass that serve the same genres, does not hold up at all in the corners. Wow...Emperors new clothes much?

I hope the OP did not waste his money on it or worse, get rid of the spectacular 45P.

There is also Jim Kasson's blog where he discusses X2D and the 38mm lens. He will publish his 90mm V lens findings once Hasselblad launches the lens.

https://blog.kasson.com/category/x2d/

IMO, the corner sharpness at f/5.6 and smaller is great.

6X6Miles

Quote from: SrMi on October 02, 2023, 06:50:51 PM
Quote from: 6X6Miles on October 02, 2023, 05:37:41 PM

There is also Jim Kasson's blog where he discusses X2D and the 38mm lens. He will publish his 90mm V lens findings once Hasselblad launches the lens.

https://blog.kasson.com/category/x2d/

IMO, the corner sharpness at f/5.6 and smaller is great.

I forgot about Kasson's piece, thanks.

Even though I find the 45P a bit better, the 38V is good at 5.6 onward for sure, I am keeping it. The problem child for me is the 55V.

SrMi

Quote from: 6X6Miles on October 02, 2023, 07:53:48 PM

Even though I find the 45P a bit better, the 38V is good at 5.6 onward for sure, I am keeping it. The problem child for me is the 55V.

Maybe you should subscribe to diglloyd's site. He analyzes the 55V and finds it excellent, but hampered by field curvature until f/8 (he is extremely picky). The sharpness issue that you observe may have been caused by 55v's field curvature when wide open (more details on diglloyd's site). Typically, I shoot at f/8 when I need sharpness and wide open when I need to isolate subjects (no need for corner sharpness).

acg69

Quote from: braver on January 23, 2023, 08:54:38 AM
XCD 55V is 10x better — programmable ring, manual focus ring, DoF, metal throughout with superior metal caps.  The new line made all old lenses obsolete.

Since the original poster sites price as a concern, i would disagree with your comment. The 38V, which he doesn't like has all those things and the price tag to match. The 45P is lighter, optically excellent and all this for a fraction of the  price. Not to mention that the 35 mm full frame equivalent is an excellent general purpose lens anyway. For me, I wouldn't dream of trading it.

6X6Miles

Quote from: SrMi on October 02, 2023, 09:17:27 PM
Quote from: 6X6Miles on October 02, 2023, 07:53:48 PM

Maybe you should subscribe to diglloyd's site. He analyzes the 55V and finds it excellent, but hampered by field curvature until f/8 (he is extremely picky). The sharpness issue that you observe may have been caused by 55v's field curvature when wide open (more details on diglloyd's site). Typically, I shoot at f/8 when I need sharpness and wide open when I need to isolate subjects (no need for corner sharpness).

The fact that the 55V has curvature of field was apparent within the first 5 minutes I used the lens. The problem is that it is in fact is not "excellent" in the corners by F8 and like I said before, it does not even up until F11. I'm willing to work within the limits of a given optical design to achieve what I want, but no matter what I do, I can not get this lens to deliver what I need from it in shooting landscapes and other lenses I own just flat out bury it.

I'm over it at this point, it is a great lens for portraits and reportage but not for landscapes, an unfortunate but not unreasonable outcome for a lens that was born out of significant compromise.

pdprinter

I only have the 45P but looking at the optical charts Hasselblad released the very center performance of the 38 and 55 is superior to the 45P but then both drop significant and the 45P very little so exactly what users see in practical use. In spite of the published MTF of the 28P I got it because of dimensions and weight but the 45P is better. One thing is quite unusual the the performance at f8 is worse than full open

MGrayson

Quote from: pdprinter on October 03, 2023, 01:00:20 PM
I only have the 45P but looking at the optical charts Hasselblad released the very center performance of the 38 and 55 is superior to the 45P but then both drop significant and the 45P very little so exactly what users see in practical use. In spite of the published MTF of the 28P I got it because of dimensions and weight but the 45P is better. One thing is quite unusual the the performance at f8 is worse than full open

An otherwise perfect lens *should* get worse as you stop down. So few lenses are good enough for that effect to be visible below f/8, that all our experience goes the tother way.

pdprinter

Quote from: MGrayson on October 03, 2023, 01:44:59 PM
Quote from: pdprinter on October 03, 2023, 01:00:20 PM

An otherwise perfect lens *should* get worse as you stop down. So few lenses are good enough for that effect to be visible below f/8, that all our experience goes the tother way.
Yes but the 28P is not in that range, that why I am amazed

polarphoto

There are many opinions of better or poor lenses. I use 45/4 fantastic lens, 30 mm, the same. Can I find faults in these lenses - yes for sure provided:

1. Poor technique will cause poor results
2. pixel peeping at 100% - if we start to compare there this is not really useful - we are actually beyond what signal processing will yield useful results - usually viewed from something called double nyquist frequency - which is minimum of four pixels in a row - rather  more because a curve is still not a curve and sharpening will distort it. This is physics.
3. post pictures when you defame a lens - how did you take the picture - handheld or not - shutter speed - aperture
4. If I use my old 150 and 250 lenses I'm pretty sure this kind of scrutinizing would call them inferior - they were not and are not poor performers. It is just some of the lenses we have are of such a fantastic quality - particularly considering that they are medium format - that they are better than most 35 mm lenses.

5. sharpness - where is your focus in the picture - what is your DOF - what was your expectations of the picture -again post pictures.

[/size]Further - show us the pics made by you and the 55 mm with relevant exit data otherwise this is a useless discussion.
Borealis