X2D erratic battery charge in the camera

Previous topic - Next topic

asfeir

I noticed that sometimes when the battery is very partially discharged, it does not charge to !00% when I connect the USB cable.

boojum

Quote from: asfeir on January 19, 2023, 05:42:53 AM
I noticed that sometimes when the battery is very partially discharged, it does not charge to !00% when I connect the USB cable.

Same here when running off USB from the computer.  98% is fine.
Elpis

asfeir

Yes you are right, but sometimes even lower, 93 or 95%. But if I start charging when the level is lower, say 70% it will charge to 100.

EdwardWeston

Interesting. Are you using a new battery or an older one? I wonder if it's a fail safe to protect the battery life by not doing a full charge and counting as a "cycle" if above a percentage? Or it could be that the battery trickle charges the last the percentages (some batteries - will charge say 50% in 30 minutes and trickle charge 2.5 hours the last half etc) This is common in MacBooks, and Profoto batteries.

Lastly, sometimes, like your gas meter - it's not always 100% accurate.

I will note - that although the Hasselblad can charge via USB, I know from many repair people that it's not recommended to charge the battery in camera on a regular bases. Something to do with the computer circuit board in electronic devices. But of this I'm not 100% - just have had a number of techs say it (and about all camera brands) so I charge via the dual charger for piece of mind.

boojum

Quote from: EdwardWeston on January 19, 2023, 11:52:20 AM
Interesting. Are you using a new battery or an older one? I wonder if it's a fail safe to protect the battery life by not doing a full charge and counting as a "cycle" if above a percentage? Or it could be that the battery trickle charges the last the percentages (some batteries - will charge say 50% in 30 minutes and trickle charge 2.5 hours the last half etc) This is common in MacBooks, and Profoto batteries.

Lastly, sometimes, like your gas meter - it's not always 100% accurate.

I will note - that although the Hasselblad can charge via USB, I know from many repair people that it's not recommended to charge the battery in camera on a regular bases. Something to do with the computer circuit board in electronic devices. But of this I'm not 100% - just have had a number of techs say it (and about all camera brands) so I charge via the dual charger for piece of mind.

I am using new batteries.  I suspect if charging the batteries in the camera were harmful the company would have advised such.  Instead they supply a USB charger and cable.
Elpis

man-overboard

I always have used a separate charger on every camera to charge outside of the camera. With my X2D nothing will change as I have the dual charger unit. Beautifully made I must say.

asfeir

I hope HB is listening and will fix in a future release or give us more info on the matter.

MGrayson

If my laptop or phone hasn't been used much, it will not charge to 100%. It states that this is to protect the battery's life. I guess repeated charging from near-full to full is bad. This behavior could be deliberate on Hassy's part.

EdwardWeston

Quote from: asfeir on January 19, 2023, 05:42:53 AM

Have you contacted Hasselblad support with your question? Nothing like the actual source to let you know. Hasselblad support is very good, even through email.

asfeir

Issue Resolved. Thank you EdwardWeston.
I contacted Hasselblad. Their reply:
"The battery should be charged for approximately 6 hours before first time use. Maximum battery capacity is reached only after the battery has been charged and discharged several times.
We recommend you repeat this charging cycle a few times to reach the max level of the battery".

I confirm that this issue arises only with a new battery, they must be right.

baudolino_CZ

I've found that the battery charges very slowly in the camera (like whole night and is not even full in the morning). But it charges fast in the accessory charger.

boojum

Quote from: baudolino_CZ on January 31, 2023, 09:52:43 PM
I've found that the battery charges very slowly in the camera (like whole night and is not even full in the morning). But it charges fast in the accessory charger.

My experience is somewhat different.  I charge using my computer USB-C port.  If the battery is low it charges faster.  If it is in the mid 90% range it charges slowly.  It can and will charge from half to full in an evening over the USB-C port.  My conclusion is that there is a "brain" in the battery - yes, of course there is - which minds the charge rates in relation to charge percentage.
Elpis