X2D Firmware Updates

Previous topic - Next topic

boojum

I just checked the manual for info on updating the camera and lens firmware.  However it requires a visit to the HB website which has no firmware updates for the X2D or the XCD55mm.  I am currently at camera 1.0.0 and lens 1.1.0.  Is this what is current?

This is curious as the rumor mill says that there are to be firmware updates for constant autofocus and some other goodies.
Elpis

SrMi

The last I heard is that the firmware update will arrive in early 2023. As with all firmware updates, I expect a later date.

boojum

Elpis

boojum

To revisit the firmware subject, I sure would love to see Hasselblad include a selection of aspect ratios.  OK, stick with the current 3 x 4, add 6 x 6, 5 x 6, 2 x 3, and the Xpan 24 x 65.  My simple mind and former programming experience says that this is not a real heavy lift for the folks at Gothenburg.  Hopefully they will be motivated to do this.  It would save editing time for sure.

And if they would add auto-HDR.  Get it done in the camera.  I have that option in another camera and use it a lot for non-action stuff.  It makes a difference for sure.
Elpis

SrMi

Quote from: boojum on November 24, 2022, 01:03:03 PM
To revisit the firmware subject, I sure would love to see Hasselblad include a selection of aspect ratios.  OK, stick with the current 3 x 4, add 6 x 6, 5 x 6, 2 x 3, and the Xpan 24 x 65.  My simple mind and former programming experience says that this is not a real heavy lift for the folks at Gothenburg.  Hopefully they will be motivated to do this.  It would save editing time for sure.

And if they would add auto-HDR.  Get it done in the camera.  I have that option in another camera and use it a lot for non-action stuff.  It makes a difference for sure.

The various crop modes have been "promised" for the next firmware update. X1D has:

• no Crop (645)
    1:1 (6x6)
    7:6 (6x7)
    5:4 (4x5)
    11:8.5 (Letter)
    297:210 (A4)
    3:2 (6x9)
    3:2 Crop (24x36)
    16:9 (Screen)
    2:1 (6x12)
    65:24 (XPan)

Auto-HDR typically generates only JPEGs. That is likely not interesting for most owners.
More useful would be in-camera frame averaging (Phase One, Olympus) with raw output.

boojum

Thanks for the info.  Frame averaging sounds quite interesting.  I am unfamiliar with it.  HDR OTOH while confined to JPG is not a problem.  The X2D JPG's are better than many other camera's raw files.  After all, the startling high quality posts we see on-line are JPG's and quite amazing in dynamic range, color and detail.  While I do understand your point I still would like the option.
Elpis

tenmangu81

Yes, the posted JPEG's are amazing,... on a screen. It depends on what you are targetting. If it is only JPEG's (sRGB then), it's OK, but you loose most of the very high colour quality of the Blad cameras, and more specifically if you want to print your images. IN addition, I am not sure dynamic range, colours, and details Blad cameras can provide are illustrated at the best level with the posted JPEG's.
Robert

MGrayson

RAW frame averaging is very easy to implement in-camera. I'm surprised it's not more common. It's a truly great feature.

boojum

Quote from: MGrayson on November 26, 2022, 02:22:36 AM
RAW frame averaging is very easy to implement in-camera. I'm surprised it's not more common. It's a truly great feature.

Hasselblad, are you listening?
Elpis

Andy Miller Photo UK

EASY -- really -- I am aware that this is possible in the IQ4 ($30k+), but not many other MF/SMF cameras -- so while YES I would love this and three other features from the IQ4/XF (see below) in my X2D-100C, plus my long-list of other features in the X1D-ii but not in the X2D (AND this list certainly does not include Video).
I am not convinced that this process is remotely easy -- it really depends on the algorithm used, what is held in active memory and what is used to average.
One can simply average in Photoshop and as Jim K has stated -- the Noise Reduction from averaging in terms of EV-stop improvement is equal to the square root of the number of images averaged (minus 1)  - 
01 shot = 0
04 shots = 1 EV improvement.
09 shots = 2 EV improvement
16 shots = 3 EV improvement
etc...
AND it does work --
Since there are also micro movements that need to be averaged out which is better performed by aligning layers in PS prior to averaging as a smart object. 

Automated Frame Averaging - Automated Frame Averaging effectively enables the capture of long exposure images without the need for filters. This new type of sequencing tool automatically captures and combines a series of images into a single RAW file, which reduces noise, extends dynamic range, and protects highlights.

Dual Exposure+ - Dual Exposure+ allows for unparalleled image quality improvements in dynamic range and shadow detail performance. Representing a completely new capture process, Dual Exposure+ seamlessly captures and integrates a second exposure in addition to your selected exposure values.

ETTR - Currently available in the Phase One Lab, ETTR (expose to the right) is a simple tool to ensure the perfectly exposed image every time. In fast-changing light, or on the go, every second counts – and this tool ensures that you never miss a shot.

In addition - the XF supports defining a Hyperfocus setting and allocating this to a button -- no messing about trying to manually set the lens to the hyperfocal distance for the lens and aperture you are using -- this is something that should be possible for the theoretical distance. The XF goes further to allow this to be optimsed.

SrMi

Quote from: areallygrumpyoldsod on November 27, 2022, 04:16:43 AM

EASY -- really -- I am aware that this is possible in the IQ4 ($30k+), but not many other MF/SMF cameras -- so while YES I would love this and three other features from the IQ4/XF (see below) in my X2D-100C, plus my long-list of other features in the X1D-ii but not in the X2D (AND this list certainly does not include Video).
I am not convinced that this process is remotely easy -- it really depends on the algorithm used, what is held in active memory and what is used to average.
One can simply average in Photoshop and as Jim K has stated -- the Noise Reduction from averaging in terms of EV-stop improvement is equal to the square root of the number of images averaged (minus 1)  - 
01 shot = 0
04 shots = 1 EV improvement.
09 shots = 2 EV improvement
16 shots = 3 EV improvement
etc...
AND it does work --
Since there are also micro movements that need to be averaged out which is better performed by aligning layers in PS prior to averaging as a smart object. 

Automated Frame Averaging - Automated Frame Averaging effectively enables the capture of long exposure images without the need for filters. This new type of sequencing tool automatically captures and combines a series of images into a single RAW file, which reduces noise, extends dynamic range, and protects highlights.

Dual Exposure+ - Dual Exposure+ allows for unparalleled image quality improvements in dynamic range and shadow detail performance. Representing a completely new capture process, Dual Exposure+ seamlessly captures and integrates a second exposure in addition to your selected exposure values.

ETTR - Currently available in the Phase One Lab, ETTR (expose to the right) is a simple tool to ensure the perfectly exposed image every time. In fast-changing light, or on the go, every second counts – and this tool ensures that you never miss a shot.

In addition - the XF supports defining a Hyperfocus setting and allocating this to a button -- no messing about trying to manually set the lens to the hyperfocal distance for the lens and aperture you are using -- this is something that should be possible for the theoretical distance. The XF goes further to allow this to be optimsed.

My comments:

Several cameras can do frame averaging and generate raw images, apart from Phase One. Olympus m43 cameras do frame averaging up to 64 images (LiveND 64). Nikon DSLRs can do frame averaging using multiple exposures (up to 10 images?). Pentax K1 can do frame averaging using multiple exposures up to 2000 images. Most cameras that offer multiple exposures generate only JPEGs, though.

Frame averaging in PS is quite cumbersome and slow.
You should not need any frame alignment if you shoot on a tripod. Phase One and Olympus do not align frames, AFAIK.

ETTR requires raw histograms (Phase One has it). Once we have raw histograms, we can create optimal exposures. An alternative is UniWB, but that is quite cumbersome as well.

MGrayson

Quote from: areallygrumpyoldsod on November 27, 2022, 04:16:43 AM

The process requires one frame buffer, one integer counter, and for each pixel, one multiplication, one addition, and one division. Here's the algorithm:

p represents a new pixel. av represents a pixel in the average buffer. The formula is the same at every pixel.

av_0 = 0; (semi-colon inserted to make it look all program-like. Probably just showing my age....)
i runs from 1 to as many frames as you want. It doesn't even have to be chosen in advance
av_i = (av_(i-1)*(i-1) + p_i) / i;

That's it. Let's try it. i = 1, so av_1 = 0*0 + p_1. One averaged frame is just the image.
av_2 = (av_1*1 + p_2)/2 = (p_1+p_2)/2. Yep, average of two frames.
av_3 = (((p_1+p_2)/2) * 2 + p_3)/3 = (p_1 + p_2 + p_3)/3.
etc.

This does NOT work with medians. It's a peculiarity of means that they don't have memory. You can dispose of all the previous frames, and yet still keep the average of the RAW data. This is WHY people use means instead of the more robust statistics (like medians). They can be combined with new data after the fact even if the old data is gone.

This isn't just easy, it's easier than just about ANY part of the imaging pipeline. It's also massively parallel, if that helps the designer.

Matt