XCD 90mm 2.5 V

Previous topic - Next topic

outside_late

Photon42

Quoteso I agreed to the loan when they offered it.

What a kind character  8) He produces reviews he could as well write in Swedish - I don't understand most of it really, I am afraid. But I get it - there is at least one 90/2.5 around  ;D

SrMi

Quote from: Photon42 on December 31, 2022, 11:17:17 PM

What a kind character  8) He produces reviews he could as well write in Swedish - I don't understand most of it really, I am afraid. But I get it - there is at least one 90/2.5 around  ;D

Jim's posts are reference material: they are correct and illuminatory. He does not write to increase his audience (no income from the site). Jim has an academic background and he writes in that style. If you wonder about something he wrote, feel free to ask questions on various forums. Jim is mostly active on DPR but frequents some other forums as well. His blog is a great place to learn new things.

MGrayson

Quote from: SrMi on January 01, 2023, 06:07:45 AM

Jim's posts are reference material: they are correct and illuminatory. He does not write to increase his audience (no income from the site). Jim has an academic background and he writes in that style. If you wonder about something he wrote, feel free to ask questions on various forums. Jim is mostly active on DPR but frequents some other forums as well. His blog is a great place to learn new things.

And one's reputation as an independent evaluator takes a huge hit when you get equipment straight from the manufacturer. Even with the disclaimer, it's not something done lightly. There are good reviewers who are up-front about their relationships with their equipment suppliers, and you just have to recenter your interpretations accordingly.

SrMi

Quote from: MGrayson on January 01, 2023, 06:13:04 AM
Quote from: SrMi on January 01, 2023, 06:07:45 AM

And one's reputation as an independent evaluator takes a huge hit when you get equipment straight from the manufacturer. Even with the disclaimer, it's not something done lightly. There are good reviewers who are up-front about their relationships with their equipment suppliers, and you just have to recenter your interpretations accordingly.

Jim has clarified a couple of things:
- This is the second time that he will test gear that he does not own (the first was a Kolari-modded camera)
- The only requirement is to hold off on publishing his review until the embargo is lifted. Hasselblad has no say in the content of his review, but Jim will include any Hasselblad comments.
- The lens is a loan and goes back to Hasselblad after the review.
- Jim writes:  Whenever a reviewer accepts loaner gear there is always the possibility of bias, either conscious or unconscious. I will try to avoid that, but it is possible that I could be biased on favor of the lens because of the generous loan from Hasselblad.

JoeC

The good news in all of this is that the lens is closer to being available to the unwashed masses (i.e., me). I ordered one on September 7 and look forward to using the new lens. The original XCD 90mm was/is my most used X-series lens.

Joe

JoeC

This from the B&H website:

QuoteExpected availability: Mar 2023

:(

mar-ko

Quote from: JoeC on January 06, 2023, 08:58:32 AM

Maybe Jim Kasson reported some issues or suggestions after testing, which are now causing a delay.  ;)

alextsayun

braver

They'd just embargoed it.  It's a standard practice, not to steal the thunder from the official launch.

Orokaj

b&h is correct, the dealers based in China have indicated April.

Given the design is more or less similar to the old 90mm, they might have to work extra hard to give us a reason to get the new one.
Jakoro
Jack Xu

hcubell

Quote from: mar-ko on January 06, 2023, 09:02:35 AM

Maybe Jim Kasson reported some issues or suggestions after testing, which are now causing a delay.  ;)

Do you really think Jim Kasson knows more about any issues with a new lens than Hasselblad's own lens designers have identified?

MGrayson

Quote from: hcubell on January 16, 2023, 03:14:52 PM

Do you really think Jim Kasson knows more about any issues with a new lens than Hasselblad's own lens designers have identified?

A large team develops some complex and well tested software. A user walks up to the machine, presses two keys, and it crashes. I've been on both sides of that one.

sog1927

Quote from: MGrayson on January 16, 2023, 03:22:04 PM

A large team develops some complex and well tested software. A user walks up to the machine, presses two keys, and it crashes. I've been on both sides of that one.

Or as one of my mentors at Cray once observed, "It's impossible to write foolproof software because fools are so ingenious."

brynoceros

Quote from: hcubell on January 16, 2023, 03:14:52 PM

I wouldn't doubt it. Are you aware of Jim's credentials as an IBM Research Fellow?

- https://blog.kasson.com/about-2/who-am-i/
- https://blog.kasson.com/about-2/patents-and-papers-about-color/

For reference, it's a pretty prestigious group... https://www.ibm.com/ibm/ideasfromibm/us/ibm_fellows/