Phocus versus Lightroom

Previous topic - Next topic

baudolino_CZ

Phocus has an advantage with colours, especially greens. So I use it for individual select pictures where I need the colours to be perfect. However, I find Phocus very unwieldy and slow for processing a larger number of images, e.g. from a shoot or a trip. In those situations, I resort to Lightroom Classic, with Cobalt profiles - these do a pretty good job with colours, not far from Phocus. I was hoping that I could process my shoots on an iPad, in Phocus Mobile 2 but this has proven impractical - images take ages to download from the camera via wifi and when I want to copy them to an external SSD connected over USB-C, I get a message that this is not possible, because "This Operation Can't Be Completed. Couldn't communicate with a helper application." The latter obviously is an Apple problem, not Phocus, but I have given up on it after searching for a solution for a good part of two hours, and learning only something about a possible missing Api-link to Google Drive...which seems irrelevant as I don't use Google drive and was trying to copy the files to an external Samsung SSD. Anyway, whatever the solution to this pesky problem is, it has escaped me and I have given up on the Phocus Mobile 2 / iPad route for processing my images, for the moment.

tenmangu81

The sensor of YOUR camera has been factory calibrated, and the specific HNCS colours applied. Phocus is made for achieving the best rendering of colours for your camera, then. Lightroom is very, very close to this rendering, but only when using the "Camera standard" setting. This is what I am doing now. I am not sure Cobalt profiles would do the same. I would be interested in a comparison, by measuring the colours in the same given coulour space, between Phocus and Lightroom with Cobalt profiles, just to see if it's worth the money !!
Robert