video card for G5 Quad and 30" apple cinema display

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

what's the best for the system and the best for Phocus or am I wasting my time with an old crate of a computer?

Alex Maxim

The best would be the one that doesn't exist yet :) Really, I am waiting for 8-16 core CPUs.
The best you can afford.

Phil G

Quote from: PH on November 14, 2009, 12:50:58 AM
what's the best for the system and the best for Phocus or am I wasting my time with an old crate of a computer?

I have a G5 Quad with 14GB DDR2 SDRAM that was driving a 30" with the GeForce 7800GT only 256MB ram

It runs Phocus 1.2 ok albeit a little slower than my Mac Pro I think the Nvidia CeForce 6600 256MB was the  standard card  I have a couple of spare cards somewhere I think 256MB is the absolute minimum although Phocus will run on my G4 Laptop but even slower - part of my historical and Back up Paranoia collection

I nearly sold my Quad but I'm glad I did not as I now ethernet it to my Mac Pro and with a eSATA card it makes a pretty powerful server and backup machine you can share between machines at 70MB+ over the ethernet

I use a late 08 Mac Pro Quad core Xenon with a ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB but rather than upgrade this to 09+ model I think I will just put in the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 Graphics card 1.5GB DDR3 fast RAM   and more ram whilst its cheap which should se me ok well into the next decade

That option costs £1,500 compared to the £4000+ cost for the latest Mac Pro with 16GB RAM and a 512MB graphics card  tough decision???

Is there anyone on this Forum using the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 card if so I would love to hear from you before I jump.

Regards

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

arminw

Just like you I am thinking of upgrading my machine a G5 Quad with 10GB and the x1900 graphics card. I decided to wait until the new year and then get an updated MacPro.
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano