Phocus 3.6.2 and Monterey

Previous topic - Next topic

tenmangu81

Quote from: Nicci on February 08, 2022, 11:22:17 PM
My temporarily solution is to import my images to Phocus for lens correction and Hassi colour solution. Export as 16Bit-Tiff to Lightroom and proceed from there as necessary.

Why don't you export as DNG's ?
Robert

nikhil

The solution that I have used is to use Phocus to import from the camera and then add fff files to Lightroom. Adobe understand the fff files and I find that workflow works very well for me. I might just do it that way even after this is fixed.

pss

I switched to LRC (more or less exclusively) a few months ago. I tried long and hard to see a difference in IQ and could not find any. there are some instances when I still prefer the way phocus handles color with the "standard profile" but for 99% its all done in LRC now for me. all the other options and functions are obviously a huge bonus.
the only thing I pretty much have to use Phocus for is tethering, I do use the iPad and Phocus mobile a lot, I also have used the LRC watched folder option, but it slows things down.
I wish hasselblad would make a tether plug in for LRC.

nikhil

What would be the downside of importing fff into LRC? Can anyone help me understand?

mar-ko

As far as I know, Phocus will embed camera and sensor specific data/corrections into the file when converting from fff to 3fr. Lightroom can not do that.

pss

afaik hasselblad has shared camera profiles and lens correction data with adobe, the settings are available in LR (as camera standard and specific lens profiles)
is the color pipeline exactly the same? maybe not? probably not? I would assume hasselblad is holding something back?
a year ago I was using phocus exclusively, now its pretty much all LRC, IQ and color is very important to me (and I am generally not a fan of adobe) , I would not use LR if there was any drawback.
its pretty easy to check it out, color is personal preference
LRC obviously has some serious advantages over Phocus but if the quality isn't there its not worth it.

SeanRL

My understanding is that everything possible was done with Adobe, but there are proprietary Hasselblad things that happen in Phocus, but not in Lightroom.
Only Phocus gives you the full monty.

Personally, I can see it and is the reason I use Phocus over any other RAW processing.

S

Nicci

I do prefer the Phocus colours over what I get, if I import my images directly into LR, that is however personal taste. I also, occasionally like to use the wider L*RGB colour space provided within the Reproduction tab in Phocus (especially for dark/very dark images). It helps with tonality when converting dark, contrasty images into black and white, especially when working with luminance masks. Everything besides this very basic raw-conversion, I prefer to do in LR and PS.
I have to admit that I haven't tried importing directly into LR for a while however. Maybe there is no difference these days.
My workflow might be imperfect and suboptimal but it works for me.

pss

I completely agree that there is a difference between Phocus and LR conversions, I used to definitely prefer Phocus, now I don't consider Phocus better anymore which pretty much makes LR the winner for me. but this stuff is very personal.
I still wish hasselblad would offer a tether plug in, it would make things easier and I hasselblad does seem to collaborate with adobe anyway, providing profiles seems to be much more in depth then just offering a tether plug in.

nikhil

I just install Monterey 12.2.1 and still see the same issue with Phocus pictures not work working properly.

jhasselblad

Phocus 3.6.1 and Monterey 12.2.1 is also not working  :-\

Nicci

I think we will have to wait for Moneterey 12.3. I haven't heard of any other apps having the same problem and there are just to few Phocus users to make Apple inquire this issue in a more urgent manner. I mean this problem is, regarding to Hasselblad limited to the M1 MAX with 64GB RAM.

pss

afaik the 12.3 beta is public, so who wants to try? how bad can it be:)
from my own experience with public betas, not bad at all but there is probably some plug in or something that won't work and rolling back is not as simple as choosing a time machine back up.
what surprises me is that we actually don't know if 12.3 will take care of the problem. what if it does not? wait for the next?
Phocus could use a little overhaul anyway, so maybe instead of blaming apple or waiting for them, hasselblad could do a little more?

NBuxton

Thank you for this information. I have been struggling with this problem all day. The problem is not only with Fff files but DNG and Tiff. So now saving the fff to Lightroom and using the LTR/ Photoshop/ topaz workflow. Will await Hasselblad / Apple sorting the problem.

SeanRL

Is anyone not using M1 MAX with 64GB RAM having this issue?

Interested in doing the 12.2.1 for the security update.

Thanks,
S