Lens nomenclature question

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark24173

Greetings.

I've used Hasselblad cameras in the past, so I have a passing familiarity with them, but I'm far from a connoisseur.

I'm considering getting back into them, but I have a question regarding sensor size and lens selection.

Cameras being what they are, they depreciate like nobody's business, which is good if you're a buyer. I've been looking on a local auction site, and there is an H4D-60 for sale. The price is...well, I wouldn't call it cheap, but it's probably 20 percent  or less of what it went for new.

I'd rather get a slightly older body and then a decent lens selection - (used) lenses for this system seem way cheaper than those for the X1D - and I'm still a fan of optical finders. Not bothered by high ISO issues; the iPhone has made that concept redundant so if I need a night shot I pull that out.

I get the impression that the H4D-60 has a larger sensor than other of the H4D series cameras (that's part of what interests me).

I also understand that there seem to be two designations of the lenses for this system: HC and HCD.

I've done some googling on these, but I couldn't get a definitive idea of what the differences are. At first I thought it might be like Nikon's DX / FX, but then again the "D" could mean "digital", as in  designed for digital.

Long story short: if I were to procure an H4D-60, are there certain lenses which are actively not recommended, bearing in mind the sensor size?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

JCM-Photos

Latest second hand orange dot H lenses are rare and expensive, but they have full functionality on H cameras and full compatibility on X cameras

Only older non orange dot H lenses are cheap, but they are restricted in features on recent bodies,
Only 1/800s instead of 1/2000s on H6, H5, X cameras, no AF on X cameras, ...

Hasselblad backs have 3 major sensor sizes and lenses have 2 images circles HCD narrow angle and HC large cercle.
HCD lenses have some restrictions on the largest 4,5x6 sensor size and have to be used with closed apertures and some corrections in post, HC lenses have full coverage of the largest sensor.

H4D60 has the big 4,5x6 sensor
Be aware that this CCD sensor cannot be used much higher than basic ISO (no high ISO at all) and is tethered with Firewire.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Mark24173

Hasselblad backs have 3 major sensor sizes and lenses have 2 images circles HCD narrow angle and HC large cercle.
HCD lenses have some restrictions on the largest 4,5x6 sensor size and have to be used with closed apertures and some corrections in post, HC lenses have full coverage of the largest sensor.

[/quote]

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.