Converter x0,8 HCD28

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Hello,
1 °) I would like to mount my HCD28 on my X1D.
I ask myself the question: which is better between the simple XH ring or the new converter x0.8?
I have an XCD30 but the charm of the H optics and the 28x0.8 field is still quite tempting!
2 °) I also wonder what will give in image quality (the focal length and the aperture: I know) my HC120 with this converter x0.8?
3 °) what would this 120 + converter 0.8 + Converter x1.7 give (that would avoid buying the simple XH ring)?
Beautiful pictures to all,
Alain (from France)

ashdown

The 0.8 provides a slightly better image quality (sharper, better contrast) because it is using a wider part of the lens area rather than just the centre. The difference isn't huge but noticeable at 100% with the lenses I have tried (50II, 80 and 150N). The field of view is obviously wider. On the down-side, the 0.8 is quite heavy. Similar in size and weight to the 1.7x convertor. If it works, I'd imagine the combination of 0.8, 1.7x and 120mm would be very long and from-heavy.

I haven't tried the 0.8 with the 1.7x, 28mm or 120mm yet but did have success with my lenses and with the 26mm extension tubes.

JCM-Photos

There is no great benefit to buy the XCD28 for the x1D because:
- It has to be the relatively rare and expensive "orange dot" version to have AF and focus bracketing
- it It is huge and heavier than the XCD30 or XCD21.
- for landscape or architecture it is less crisp than the XCD lenses, very clearly on adapter.
- it has no possibility of 2 points tethered focus bracketing as XCD lenses do.

HCD advantages are:
- manual focus distance on the barrel (not only in the viewfinder like XCD's)
- HTS 1.5 adapter compatibility (why I bought one)

but when only shift is required and no flash I use the Mamiya 50 shift that is quite as good, used for less than 500,- €
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Domip

@ JMC-Photo:  what lens adapter is needed for the Mamiya shift lens on the X1D?

JCM-Photos

it's an adapter ring M645 --> Hasselblad X many adapter manufacturers have one

I have a Kipon well manufactured without tripod mount and a Photodiox Pro with a tripod mount but bad manufactured (focuses only up to 40m, infinity not possible).

My favorite M645 lenses on the X1D are
80 f:4 Macro
50 f:4 shift
145 f:4 Soft Focus

I also use a Novoflex Nikon F to X1D with the Nikkor fish eye zoom that can be set to cover without any loss or vignetting the X1D in camera square crop 33x33 with a diagonal FOV of 180° !

I use the Hasselblad X-Pan adapter, but only the 30mm Aspherical lens works properly (the 45mm and 90mm feel not really good on a digital sensor)

I use the Hasselblad V adapter with excellent results with my CF 50 f:4 FLE, CF 80m f:2,8 ans CF 180 f:4

Nice thing is that all additional Hasselblad lenses X-Pan, V system, H System have dedicated optical corrections in Phocus for the X1D.

tenmangu81

Quote from: JCM-Photos on June 27, 2021, 07:54:18 AM

I use the Hasselblad V adapter with excellent results with my CF 50 f:4 FLE, CF 80m f:2,8 ans CF 180 f:4

Nice thing is that all additional Hasselblad lenses X-Pan, V system, H System have dedicated optical corrections in Phocus for the X1D.

Is it worth to buy a X -> V adapter to fit my Blad C (not CF) 80 f:2.8 lens on the X1D ?
Robert

JCM-Photos

Quote from: tenmangu81 on June 27, 2021, 10:20:29 PM
Quote from: JCM-Photos on June 27, 2021, 07:54:18 AM

Is it worth to buy a X -> V adapter to fit my Blad C (not CF) 80 f:2.8 lens on the X1D ?
Using the X V adapter means :

no AF
no flash
no moving subject and being a steady photographer

up to you to see if you can cope with these strong restrictions

tenmangu81

Yes I know, and no problem for me with these conditions. What I meant is about the quality of the C lenses with respect to the CF.
Robert

JCM-Photos

I have a CF 80 2,8  but never compared it really to other lenses because I have the outstanding XCD 80 and for Macro the Sekor C 80 f:4 one of the best Mamiya lenses ever made, much better than the Planar CF 80.
I have the CF 50 FLE quite as fine as 45mm XCD's but less harsh, with nice tonal values. Same opinion to my CF 180 compared to the XCD 135 with or without extender.

When absolute sharpness is a goal, no other lenses are up to XCD's that are sharper than any other Hasselblad lenses ever made (V System, H system, X-Pan)

But absolute sharpness is not always welcome, I have a lot of fun shooting some portraits with my Sekor C 145mm soft focus.

The sharpness problem with medium format landscape comes from the lack of depth of field. Thus focus bracketing is a must for ultra sharp landscapes.