Viewfinder coverage

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Maxim

Had to rewrite the post, because it didn't make sense :)

Does anyone else notice that the viewfinder coverage in not 100% and cropped on the left and at the bottom or nobody cares?

I didn't notice it until recently when I needed to frame a shot very tight.

Phil G

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on October 26, 2009, 10:54:44 PM
Did you leave the masked screen in the viewfinder?

Kind regards,
Derek

Mask?

The Grid screen they sent me for the D39 was the wrong one and I did not have the time to return it; so I just went back to the old days and used a transparent red permanent marker to indicate the limits which I like, as I can see whats just outside the frame and adjust if need be.

It works ok for me even on some Kite Surfing shots with the 300mm in fact I am so lazy I just have it as my screen of choice

Phil

Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

Alex Maxim

You mean the mask on the screen is wrong and I need to make my own? That's interesting...
Thanks for the replies anyway!

Alex Maxim

I figured if I remove the black paint on the mask on the left and the bottom that would solve the problem. Can I buy a spare mask to customize it?

Alex Maxim

Does Hasselblad consider it a feature, having a viewfinder coverage different from what the sensor captures?
Why would they keep it like this...

Alex Maxim

Ok, I've soled the problem. If anyone interested here is what I did:

A frame cut from black plastic, a plastic card painted with black permanent marker works well.
So I've just took the mask screen out and replaced it with this frame. And the viewfinder coverage is pretty close to what the sensor captures now. Besides the hole in the middle is more transparent than glass which makes the viewfinder a couple of percents brighter :)

Alex Maxim

Derek,
I've been taking pictures on a tripod in the same light before and after. Haven't noticed any difference.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

It will affect it. When I put the grid screen in mine, I had to change my standard exposure compensation of +0.7 to +1.0
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Alex Maxim

Derek, you are right. I've just retested it on a gray card.
In CenterW mode I get -0.6 stops, but in Spot mode it's -0.1.
Oh well I'll live with it.

Phil G

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on October 27, 2009, 02:33:59 AM
The H3DII39 comes with a masked screen.

I would have liked a semi-transparent masking.

I took it out and use the regular H2 screens and have a general idea to watch out for the edges. I felt the grid screens were not helpful since the I felt the intersections did not occur at the "right" eye resting spots for subject matter.

Kind regards,
Derek

Derek

I used Letraset 708G 1/8" Lilac Glossy transparent tape ( because thats what I found in the bobby trolly) on a HS grid screen which gives semi-transparent masking

I prefer the grid screen it's cured my sloping horizons and a must for architectural and copy work  suppose there will be a Fibonacci grid out soon for the artist ! ;)

Phil

Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning