Waterspots

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennersten

Hello i like to go up in the morning at take picture in the morning fog.  Sometimes i get waterspots on the pictures. Se attached picture. I guess it's 100% humidity. Have you ever got it? Does somebody have a trick to avoid it? I guess it happens when i change lens? So i guess one obvious idea is - don't change lens?

OmDom

In my experience this is actually caused by dust on the sensor. If you take a picture with a wide aperture it will appear larger and softer in the photo, but if you stop down to a small aperture it will appear smaller and more sharp edged. I have taken pictures that showed the spots and then examined the sensor to see the dust in exactly the right position on the sensor. (a dust spot at the top right of the photo will be caused by a speck of dust at the bottom left of the sensor). At first I would try to blow it off. Bad idea. If any moisture hits the sensor then you have a moisture mark to contend with. I don't even like to breathe into the camera as the dust will stick more with the increased humidity. You could use a blower bulb, but they don't work well for me. I use a Vidpro SB-4 Spinning Static Sensor Cleaner Brush. It picks the dust off the sensor and out of the inside of the front of the camera very effectively. I take it everywhere with me and I use it regularly when I get back home. The LED on the brush helps you to see tiny specks of dust. Also, turn the camera off before you change a lens or the sensor will actively attract dust.

disposable@tx.rr.com

If you have airborne droplets of water I wouldn't think there's anything to be done about it other than not changing lenses in that environment.  Go back to the car to change lenses?

Vieri

As OmDom said, these are dust spots on the sensor. Turning the camera off when changing lenses is a must, but with a camera like the X1D where the sensor is constantly exposed (no shutter to protect it) dust is inevitable. I find that a rocket blower or a charged brush do help, but the only way to really clean the sensor nicely is wet cleaning - I use Visible Dust swabs and cleaning fluids, and take a shot of a OOF white wall at each lenses' smaller aperture to check if there are any dust spots left after I clean it. If there are, I repeat the operation. Wet sensor cleaning sounds scary at first, but there isn't really much to it :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/