Which lens? What wld u recommend?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacephoto

Hi, i am still new to the H system.

Currently, i have got the 35 mm and the 80 mm. I looking to get more lenses. I do portraits, interiors.

The 120 mm would probably be useful but its kind of expensive and so is the 50-100 mm.

My options are to (a) get the 100 or 150 mm or (b) bite the bullet, get either the 120 mm or 50-100 mm.

What do you guys think? Sorrie for this newbie question...

Jacephoto

Following my earlier question, would 35, 80, 120 mm macro be a good combination or 35, 50-110mm?

Thanks.

Dustbak

I never use my 80. I find it the weakest lens of the bunch. My most used lens is the 100/2.2. In my opinion that would be the must have lens. The next lens I use most often is the 50-110. Maybe expensive, really heavy but I find it worth its money. I even use it handheld most of the time though many people feel it is too heavy for that. It saves me a subscription to the gym :)

Why bother with the 35mm? I have one and found it only usable between f8 and f16. Below that I am not impressed. Do your self a favor and save up until you can afford the 28. It is smaller, lighter and performs much better than the 35. Since I have the 28, the 35 has not left the closet anymore.

I just received a copy of the HC120. I cannot tell anyting yet about that lens. I have managed to do without for the last 4 years.

One thing you will like about the 150. It has by far the fastest autofocus of all HC lenses. You will enjoy that during portrait sessions although I often fall back on the 100 since I like to get close and still have a 'bit of person in my image' :)

Naturally these are my opinions for my type of work. I do a lot of catalogue work, garments, shoes, bags and other accessories. Sometimes with models attached to them or in them. I also do interiors. I like to do portraits as free work.

Jacephoto

As usual, excellent information from this website. Thanks for the review.

I feel more informed now. :)  :)

NickT

Second (third) what the others are saying about the 100 2.2 I use it ALL the time. The 80mm is actually very sharp for rather a dull lense and you could always add extension rings for the occasional macro...
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Jacephoto

Quote from: NickT on September 25, 2009, 04:47:29 AM
Second (third) what the others are saying about the 100 2.2 I use it ALL the time. The 80mm is actually very sharp for rather a dull lense and you could always add extension rings for the occasional macro...
Nick-T

Thank you too, nick...

enikone

thought I would hook up on this topic while its here, even if its an "old" one.. ;)

Im just curious how the 50-110mm lens performs handheld really..?
Havent tried it but wouldn't a "simillar" lens from lets say Nikon 70-200mm (hehe..ok its not close but anyway you get the point..) ;), this one usually requires or have VR (Vibration reduction).
How HC50-110mm handles that...? Is not needed..?

Dustbak

I use it handheld often, but.....

I use flash 90% of the time so the flash will freeze everything.

enikone

Quote from: Dustbak on May 18, 2010, 06:06:34 PM
I use it handheld often, but.....

I use flash 90% of the time so the flash will freeze everything.

offcourse.
That explains it.
:D